Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add both at the beginning of cooking.
Thanks. I'll try it that way next.

Most recipes I follow have me do garlic, onion and spices first,
Thanks. I'll give it a try that way. I was putting them in halfway through, after 5 minutes.

Breakfast: Banana Nut Crunch cereal, half a diced Anjou pear, 1/3 cup whole cow milk. I'm giving the rest of this cereal to dad, it's boring! I don't really like flake cereal unless it has nut butter in it.

Lunch: Veggie stir-fry sammich on a Great Value plain bagel toasted, slice of extra sharp cheese, onion, bell pepper, garlic, slivered almonds, the other half of that diced Anjou pear, spinach, butter beans, 1TB stir-fry sauce, 1Tsp el yucateco red habanero hot sauce, spicy fire salt, black pepper, cilantro.

Dinner: Huge dinner plate salad-- romaine lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, avocado, banana chips, great value burnin hot chips, dried cranberries, dried Turkish figs, flax/chia, 1 hard boiled egg, butter beans, slivered almonds, carrots, extra sharp shredded cheese, crystallized ginger, 3TB Thousand Island Dressing, 1Tsp el yucateco red habanero hot sauce.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fresh onion and garlic both need to cook a bit, and can be added early on. SOME spices will burn, and should be added a bit later. Just experiment and see what works best for you! Salt does not burn. It is not a spice. It is not an herb. IT IS A DADGUMMED ROCK! A flavorful, meltable rock, but a rock, nonetheless! Add it whenever you want to. Except for pasta and grits. THEN you add it to the water.

Tonight, I'm a bit tired. Been doing "stuff." I may just have ramen soup. I've found a brand with SIX flavors that I really love, so I never get tired of it. Four minutes and supper is done. Can't beat that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ended up having a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich last night, and a cinnamon applesauce cup for dessert.

As usual, not sure about tonight, however I'm thinking I may make Black Beans and Rice.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Last night was lentil vegetable soup with spinach salad. I think I will make a pizza for tonight's dinner since I have a pizza crust in the freezer and want to use up the fresh veggies before they go bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Garlic, onions, celery, etc are usually sauteed first. Spices and herbs are added later on; if they're added at the beginning, they'll lose their scent til the cooking process is finished, esp in soups and stews.

Trying a chuck roast in the Foodi today. Wrap the roast in two layers of foil, creating a "funnel" at the one end. Pour a can of French onion soup into the funnel and let it wash over the meat. Close tightly and bake in the NFG. With yeast rolls to soak up the goodness, brown rice, and butternut squash.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Onion, celery and carrots are the basis for a lot of cuisines and are sauteed first. Creole cooking changes it up a bit, the Holy Trinity for Creole and Cajun cooking is onion, celery and bell pepper, again it is done at the beginning.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spices and herbs are added later on; if they're added at the beginning, they'll lose their scent til the cooking process is finished, esp in soups and stews.

Some spices are added at the beginning with the oil and garlic to "bloom" and become more fragrant and flavorful. Curry is one.

A recipe will indicate when spices are added. Dried herbs are usually added towards the end but are sometimes added in the middle to add flavoring. Fresh herbs are almost always used as a garnish or added to the dish just before serving. An inexperience cook should always follow the recipe for the best result.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some spices are added at the beginning with the oil and garlic to "bloom"
Thanks. It says I have to be careful not to let the spices burn, and then add a liquid? I have so much to learn about cooking!

Breakfast: Kind apple cinnamon cereal, half a diced Anjou pear, 1/3 cup whole cow milk. I think I'm gonna try to use this cereal for breadcrumbs, it's so boring.

Lunch and Dinner: played around with my snack plates. I'm kinda getting tired of these, I want to get back to my warm, cooked meals.
I really like this aged Old Croc extra sharp Australian cheese I got at Walmart though! So good.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had peas & carrots, corn on the cob, scalloped potatoes and cheese cake. I only ate a tiny bit of the potatoes and peas & carrots because they gave me way too many carbs. I'm not sure what the "cheese cake" was but it was not bad.

For lunch I asked for cabbage, potatoes and zucchini that they had listed on the menu. They gave me white rice instead of the cabbage I asked for. It seems like whenever I asked for something that is low in calories they give me something high in carbs.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure about dinner tonight. Maybe hash?

I scrolled past your post way too quickly and saw "trash" :flail: :oops:

After a few weeks hiatus of the meal subscription, I have a delivery today. This week's entree offering is herb grilled chicken. I think I added a soup to my order, too. They're starting to offer new items now. Supposedly the meals rotate every 12 weeks but I know that chili and jambalaya are offered more often than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.