What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't do shrimp kebabs last night. I did a bit of stir-fry with the shrimp, some slice 'shrooms, pineapple, diced asparagus (tips I left whole), and a chopped tomato. Made a little sauce with the pineapple juice and some BBQ sauce. It really wasn't bad at all. And I made coleslaw.

Chicken thighs in the NFG. With the leftover coleslaw.

We're done with the asparagus. Last night was it; I told Rick that enough was enough. We've been eating asparagus, I think, twice a week for the last month or so. There are still a few more stalks in the garden, but I'm going to let them seed out for next year.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A co-worker likes to hunt feral asparagus and he gave me about a pound of it. How do you recommend preparing it?
W Willowy I've never had feral asparagus. When I make asparagus from our garden, I just wash it well, then slice it diagonally in pieces, but I like to keep the tips whole. A dollop of olive oil in the saute pan, let it come to heat a bit, then toss the pieces into the pan, but not the tips. Cook for about 5 minutes, depending on how thick the stalks are. Then throw the tips in and continue to cook for three minutes or so. It all depends on how done you want it. We like it to be crisp-tender. I usually toss in a good sprinkle of tarragon and put the lid on to release the tarragon a bit. Or you can serve with a bit of Parmesan. You can also cook the stalks whole, if you'd like. I slice them bc I will often add the slightly cooled pieces to salad. You can also roast it whole, 425F for about 12 minutes or so.

Our chicken was good last night. Not sure about tonight. Maybe delivery pizza. It all depends on how lazy I feel.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had feral asparagus.
It's just regular asparagus that people planted along the fence lines a long time ago, or reseeded itself and spread in the ditches. That's why I said feral and not wild, lol. A lot of people like going out to hunt for it. This guy got himself 30 pounds last week! He froze some and is going to pickle the rest.

Anyway I had it last night, just ended up roasting it with lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder. It was pretty good. Pan-fried sounds great too, maybe I'll try that next time.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told Rick that enough was enough. We've been eating asparagus, I think, twice a week for the last month or so.
Did Rick get sick of it? I love asparagus so much, I could eat it every day.

For dinner I had an egg salad sammich on dad's homemade bread toasted, Aldi dijon mustard, slice of mozzarella cheese. Dad made the egg salad. I think it was just eggs, olives, mayo.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't asparagus cause super stinky urine or something but only if you eat a lot of it?

The other half of yesterday's sandwhich for dinner tonight.
I think certain people can smell it. I can. I wonder if it's related to the soapy cilantro gene.

We went out for sushi and I found a couple of dairy/soy free rolls I could eat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For dinner I had an egg salad sammich on dad's homemade bread toasted, Aldi dijon mustard, slice of mozzarella cheese. Dad made the egg salad. I think it was just eggs, olives, mayo.
I've been on an egg salad sandwich kick for the past few months. I usually make it for lunch about twice a week. I add sweet red pepper hummus, sliced tomato and zucchini, spinach leaves and swiss cheese. I bet your dad's homemade bread is delicious. :yummy:

I thought we had finished the veggie chili leftovers but there was just enough for the two of us. Coffee chocolate chip Yasso bars for dessert.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a fishy couple of days. Last night we had broiled tilapia, with bow tie pasta dressed with sauteed onion and mushrooms, and petite whole green beans.

Tonight it was salmon fillet dressed with ponzu sauce, jasmine rice perpared with chicken bouillon, and skinny asparagus.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am tired of meat and cooking so tonight for dinner it’s going to be a ear of sweet corn, a cucumber salad and the most perfectly ripe and sweet cantalope.
Good job!! That sounds delicious. Maybe we'll make a vegetarian out of you yet.

Last night I had popcorn for dinner. I started snacking on a bag of it and it was so good I ate all that left.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
add sweet red pepper hummus, sliced tomato and zucchini, spinach leaves and swiss cheese.
That sounds fabulous. I have all that stuff except for the zucchini, but I could easily get some. 🥪

Last night I had popcorn for dinner.
That sounds like me & my snack plates.:thumbsup:

For dinner, I took a frozen Aldi cheese French bread pizza out of the freezer, but I forgot to bring up the box. I'm too lazy to go back down cellar to get the cooking instructions, so perhaps I can Google it. :ohwell:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The pasta I was thinking about several nights ago never happened so it's spinach tortellini with pomodoro sauce for dinner tonight. I don't have any garlic bread but will make a spinach salad as a side. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.