What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
🙄really need a nice big cast iron skillet even though it will take forever to heat good on my stove hamburger hash turned out ok just the taters didnt brown and crisp how i like em:lol:
You really do. And you'll never make really good cornbread without one.

ok now i am curious about it :lol: is it available in california to?and what makes it good? is it like sweet tasting,butteryhoney flavored??:lol:
There's a store locator on their website. Both Walmart and Food Lion here carry it! Going on my list for next month!

Tonight...Fried egg sandwiches. And I'll probably bake a batch of white chocolate chip/macadamia nut cookies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I didn't want to buy it because I'd have to thaw the entire bread to eat one slice. And I prefer bread that is fresh not frozen. I'll have to check when I'm at a different store next time.
When I got mine at Jewel last week, they were in a display at the end of one aisle. They were on sale so idk if they're always separate, or usually in the bread aisle.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, I didn't want to buy it because I'd have to thaw the entire bread to eat one slice. And I prefer bread that is fresh not frozen. I'll have to check when I'm at a different store next time.
The bread comes already sliced. Any bread can be frozen and individual slices be taken out. It only takes 10 minutes or so for a frozen slice to defrost.

I found this on the Dave website: we strive to make sure that loaves of DKB are sold as fresh as possible off the grocery store shelf to give you the most time to enjoy it at home. FAQs — Dave's Killer Bread

So it's supposed to arrive at stores fresh not frozen.

There's a store locator on the web site, too: Where to Buy — Dave's Killer Bread

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To all the members who recommended Dave's Killer Bread - while shopping today I found DKB but it was in the bakery freezer. Is the bread supposed to be stored frozen or should it be on the shelf with the other fresh breads?
We store in the cabinet unless we haven't eaten it in 2-3 days then it goes in the fridge.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We store in the cabinet unless we haven't eaten it in 2-3 days then it goes in the fridge.
Sorry, I was referring to where it's found in the grocery store not where I keep it in the house. The reason I couldn't find it at the store was because they had it in the freezer which took me by surprise. But like you, I also keep it in the cabinet for several days. 👍

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I was referring to where it's found in the grocery store not where I keep it in the house. The reason I couldn't find it at the store was because they had it in the freezer which took me by surprise. But like you, I also keep it in the cabinet for several days. 👍
Oh! Yes, it's found with all of the other breads on the shelf or at least it should be. It's stored on the shelf with the white bread where we buy it (FoodLion or Walmart).

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother in law used to deliver DKB and he said some stores have it shipped to them frozen. Sams Club is one of them. But he retired 4 months ago and he does not know what the company is doing now with their bread.

I've never seen the bread frozen in a store. They were always out on the shelf with the other breads. I think Sams Club receives it frozen and then puts them on the shelf.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If I have frozen bread or rolls and need a couple slices, I wrap them in a paper towel and throw them in the microwave. 11 seconds or so for bread slices. Depending on roll size and denseness, 40 seconds. On High and that depends on your microwave. But it works nicely.

Rick will have LaChoy chow mein (BLEAH) and I will have soup.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I always freeze bread and take out only as many slices as I need at the time, otherwise it goes moldy on me. I can't tell the difference between pre-frozen and "fresh" off the shelf once it's thawed, unless it's been in the freezer so long it got freezer burned.

The stores here have the Ezekiel bread in the freezer, next time I'm there I'll have to take note of where the DKB is, if they even have it.

Most meat comes to the store frozen, they thaw it before they put it out. And then people pay more for "fresh" meat :tongue: .

Ooh, DKB also has bagels. I'll definitely have to try to find it. Most store-bought bagels aren't great.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I have frozen bread or rolls and need a couple slices, I wrap them in a paper towel and throw them in the microwave. 11 seconds or so for bread slices. Depending on roll size and denseness, 40 seconds. On High and that depends on your microwave. But it works nicely.

Rick will have LaChoy chow mein (BLEAH) and I will have soup.
My DH liked that nasty stuff too. Ew. :headshake:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! They are even better when you add thin slices of tomato and red onion. :yummy:
Oh yeah, that's how I like bagels too. If I don't have any fresh tomatoes and onions, I'll use salsa. . .it's second-best but still pretty good.

According to their store locator, it looks like Costco has some DKB products, but I bet they don't have the bagels. The other stores are Hy-Vee and Fareway. I rarely go to those stores but it may be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.