What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick made his family-famous hamburgers last night. He was grilling in the dark last night because the fridge delivery guys were here for over two hours and it was dark when they left.

Tonight, I'm making LTS3 LTS3 's cranberry chicken. I'm going to make it in the NFG. With baked potatoes. Apple dumplings for dessert with a bit of vanilla ice cream.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you using frozen cranberries or fresh? The recipe article says either can be used but the actual recipe says frozen. I can't find frozen cranberries so will have to substitute fresh. Or find a different recipe.

Dinner will be something bland-ish. I haven't been feeling well since Friday and my stomach is not happy for some reason :paperbag:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've spent a good portion of the day cooking elderberries and running them thru my seeder in preparation for jam making tomorrow,and probably bread too,so tonight we'll have leftover pork roast,mashed potatoes with apple/onion gravy and not sure about a veg yet...maybe green beans.I'm taking a break now all my "stuff" is cleaned,dried and put away.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH requested my pasta casserole since I haven't made it in awhile. It was a cold and windy day here so I agreed and now we'll have leftovers during the week. He treated himself to brown butter chocolate chip cookies when I was buying fresh ricotta for the casserole. Maybe I should have gone shopping alone. :lol:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made a too-big batch of soup. I did get some oxtails for the purpose, but it turned out to be a "clean out the fridge" vegetable soup. Some leftover cabbage, some leftover sauerkraut, some leftover sun-dried tomatoes, some canned vegetables getting near the "use-by" date, some leftover wine, the tail end of a bottle of Marmite, and a couple types of pasta that had only a little left in the bag. Seemed pretty good for a first bowl, but the final test will be how it tastes when it's sat for a day in the fridge.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lentil loaf didn't happen. Maybe tonight. I did cook, though, and made my kidney beans and tomato rice recipe.

These black bean burgers. The patties didn't stay together very well, but it was good. J ate a whole quartered grape tomato. I'm both proud and grossed out, lol.
Yay, for J. :thumbsup:

Lari Lari : Do you not like just fresh tomatoes? Or all tomato products? Almost everything I make has some sort of tomato (usually stewed) in it, so if I cut it out of my diet, I'd likely starve. :lol:

I love black bean burgers, but homemade ones are notorious for falling apart. At least that's my experience with most recipes I've tried.

BTW, I read that recipe and l never heard of grating onion before. I normally just chop it. Also, the recipe says to drain, but not rinse the black beans. I always rinse mine, and the directions on the can even says to. So not sure why they specifically said not to. :dunno:

I really like black bean burgers too. Next time you might want to try this recipe, very easy and not a lot of ingredients either.
Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers (6 ingredients, 15 minutes)
You've mentioned this recipe before, and it's become one of my regulars. The only thing I change is to use real onion instead of onion powder. It's really quick and easy, and the patties seem to stay together better than some other recipes.

I made it back in 2019 and posted the recipe in the vegetarian and vegan recipes thread, along with a pic, if anyone is interested. Beware, Lari Lari , as I topped it with 2 slices of tomato. ;)

Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers:
Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

Also here's my Lentil Loaf:

And while I'm at it, my Red Kidney Beans and Tomato Rice:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Here's our cranberry chicken. Doesn't look anything like your picture, LTS3 LTS3 , but it was quite good. Disregard the baked potato, way too much butter, although Rick likes his that way. The chicken, the potato. A bit of salad. And dinner was served. I took some apple dumplings out of the freezer and threw them into the oven.

CranberryChicken.jpg

I started the potatoes first in the NFG at 390F for Air-Crisp and let them go for 20 minutes. Then I turned the potatoes and added the chicken. Ten minutes at 390F, turned the chicken. Ten minutes at 390F, turned the NFG off and let everything set. Meanwhile I made the cranberry sauce, although I did make some adjustments to the measurements of the ingredients. I used more orange zest and another tablespoon of juice, Only two tablespoons of the brown sugar. Only 3/4 cup of white wine. And since we like a thicker sauce, I cooked it down quite a bit. I used everything in the recipe, except for the fresh basil, which I didn't have. Rick said he would have liked it more had it been pork chops instead of chicken. He's simply not a big chicken fan.

You know, that sauce would be good with a Cornish hen. Or over filled pork chops. Thanks for the recipe, LTS3 LTS3 ! I don't know that you can get frozen cranberries. I always have them in the freezer, so I used frozen. Ocean Spray has them in stores at this time of the year, but in the produce section. I usually buy 3 or 4 bags, put them in a large freezer bag and toss them in the freezer, so I have them throughout the year. Believe it or not, I use a lot of cranberries for various things. I hope you're feeling better today, LTS3 LTS3 .

Tonight we're having pork chops with sweet potatoes with an orange sauce. Now I'm on an orange kick.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari : Do you not like just fresh tomatoes? Or all tomato products? Almost everything I make has some sort of tomato (usually stewed) in it, so if I cut it out of my diet, I'd likely starve. :lol:

I love black bean burgers, but homemade ones are notorious for falling apart. At least that's my experience with most recipes I've tried.

BTW, I read that recipe and l never heard of grating onion before. I normally just chop it. Also, the recipe says to drain, but not rinse the black beans. I always rinse mine, and the directions on the can even says to. So not sure why they specifically said not to. :dunno:
I'll eat barbecue sauce. :lol: I think that's about it. I've made a few things with tomato paste in it where it's little enough I can't really taste it, but it still grosses me out to put in. I've weirdly gotten more picky about this as I've gotten older because as a kid I did eat ketchup happily and pasta/pizza sauce (though I remember trying to eat as little of it as possible).

I wonder if adding an egg would help keep the patties together better, but I don't trust myself enough in the kitchen without a recipe to try.

Grating the onion was annoying. I think I'd just put it in my food processor next time. Idk why I wasn't supposed to rinse the beans. Maybe for more flavor?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I had 5 Morning Star Buffalo Wings. They were way too spicy for me. I won't buy them again. I also had some dates with Tofutti dairy free cream cheese. I didn't care too much for that either. I only brought the dairy free because Wegmans was out of real cream cheese. They told me there was a shortage of cream cheese.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Last night I had 5 Morning Star Buffalo Wings. They were way too spicy for me. I won't buy them again. I also had some dates with Tofutti dairy free cream cheese. I didn't care too much for that either. I only brought the dairy free because Wegmans was out of real cream cheese. They told me there was a shortage of cream cheese.
Rick had gone to the store one day for cream cheese to make ice cream. He ended up having to buy the store brand; there wasn't a block of Philadelphia to be had in the store. I see Philadelphia is on sale right now 2 for $4. I may buy a couple blocks for holiday baking.

Lari Lari Adding an egg or two will usually help bind meatloaf, meatballs, etc. together. One egg may work for your burgers, too. Try it and see what happens.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've weirdly gotten more picky about this as I've gotten older because as a kid I did eat ketchup happily and pasta/pizza sauce (though I remember trying to eat as little of it as possible).
What do you use for sauce on pizza?

I wonder if adding an egg would help keep the patties together better, but I don't trust myself enough in the kitchen without a recipe to try.
It might. Though most of my veggie burgers do include egg, and it really hasn't solved the problem.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tofutti cream cheese is meh, though their sour cream is decent. Usually for fake cream cheese I've been getting the Violife. I hear Kite Hill is the best, but that's nearly twice as much, so I can't justify it.

What do you use for sauce on pizza?
Barbecue most often. We order from Jet's the most and they have that as an option. Or just an olive oil base. I like Alfredo or ranch, as well, but can't currently do those.

Status
Not open for further replies.