What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leftovers tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to bake some chicken thighs, the brown sugar chicken recipe I think. Last time I used dark brown sugar and the chicken came out ok just a little too caramelized tasting for my taste. I'll use light brown this time and just a little bit of dark. I have french fries to go in the oven, too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch was Kashi Peanut Butter Crunch cereal with regular milk.

Dinner was a shelf-stable packaged meal- Loma Linda Vegan Southwest Chunky Stew. This tasted exactly like my casserole that I made with crumbled up veggie burger! So maybe my cooking isn't so bad, this is just what meat substitutes taste like baked or microwaved. I guess I just prefer them stir-fried on the stovetop. Good to know.

It said this stew was 2 servings, but no way. It didn't even fill my Corelle cereal bowl all the way! They aren't fooling me.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished off the kasha varnishkes with eggplant. Strange? Tastes good to me.

Himself had a burrito assembled from the freezer: I make shredded beef, then package in small quantities. Each burrito meal bag gets a snack size packet of shredded beef, a smaller one of rice / black beans / corn, and an even smaller packet of sauce. (They thaw pretty quickly too.) Heat a large tortilla in a dry cast iron frying pan. Flip over. Spread shredded beef, top with rice etc, cut corner off sauce packet and squeeze over everything. Tuck in ends, roll up, and there you have it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to @Furballsmom, I'm thinking chipped steak sandwiches with lots of sauteed onions and cheese. And we have salad stuff to make a nice salad, too.

lizzie lizzie I was talking to my co-worker the other day. During a shopping trip, he bought five cans of Spam. Well, he went back in the following week and the remaining six cans of Spam were still there, so he bought them, too. He really likes Spam.
We don't eat a lot of it,but I've had this can in the cupboard for awhile,and there was this commercial.....by the way.if you ever get the chance,try the bacon spam.Oh my!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Veggie quinoa burgers for both DH and me on a bakery roll with roasted red pepper hummus, slice of tomato, spinach leaves & swiss cheese. And we're still working on my oatmeal chocolate chunk bars for dessert.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch was Small Batch Organics Cherry Vanilla Bean granola cereal with 2% milk.

For dinner I made a one person casserole. It was better because I left out the weird stuff. I just used corn tortillas, chickpeas, tomato sauce, rice, cheese, breadcrumbs. I did throw in some diced mango, that was kinda weird. I used olive oil instead of melted butter in the breadcrumbs and it worked so much better! They didn't clump at all and they spread easier, not sure why.

I'm not sure if I got the spices exactly right, I used dried cilantro, since I didn't have any fresh. Also cumin, chili powder, black pepper, garlic parsley salt. 1/8 tsp of each.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Is it just me or are there suddenly many more vegetarians posting here? Some of those vegetarian dishes sound just awful to me and no, I don't have to have meat with every meal, sometimes I indulge in nothing but salad that is just green stuff, tomato, cukes, radish etc, no bacon crumbles, ham, chicken, cheese or whatever, maybe croutons. I hardly ever eat red meat anymore but lots of chicken and fish sometimes, and since I started cooking Chinese that's mostly veggies anyway. Oh I do love those mung bean sprouts that I grow myself on the kitchen counter in a bowl.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight, I'm making an English favorite, Toad in a Hole.
Is that what we call Windowpanes? A fried egg in a square hole in a slice of toast? Used to be our son's favorite breakfast. He loved and still does love them. He's even got the Grands hooked on them.

I had made sweet 'n' sour pork last month and stuck the leftovers in the freezer. Got it out and threw the container in the fridge to thaw. We'll have it with fried brown rice.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Rundown on what I've been eating and I've been very naughty.

Wendy's breakfast,
chicken honey biscuit, tasty,
Coupons so I also got 2 biscuits with butter and honey, soo good.

McDonald's Double Cheeseburger, hot fries and a Coke

Fritos with spicy bean and cheese dip, so good

Large salad Nicole sent down with her famous Vinaigrette dressing
enough for 2 days

Italian sausage sammies
Brats
Green beans
Corn
Coleslaw
Stouffer's Stuffed peppers
baked potatoes as meals
Pizza for Mother's day

I'm having blueberry pancakes soon and will eat the rest of them later

I must comment on the Chicken Paprikash, without chicken, that's just wrong, hee, hee

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two nights ago I had a grilled cheese sandwich, with a side salad.

Last night I thawed out a serving of vegetarian chili, plus some cornbread. Also had a royal gala apple for dessert.

Tonight I think I'm making vegetarian pizzas on Naan bread. Not sure if they'll just be mushroom pizzas, or if I'll add some onion and green pepper. Maybe I'll split it, and make 2 mushroom, and 2 mixed veggie.

Is it just me or are there suddenly many more vegetarians posting here?
LOL. We're a small but vocal little group, you know. :lol:

Actually, I think it's just we vegetarians are still posting pretty regularly, whereas some of the others aren't so much.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a birthday at our house yesterday, one which in Israel would be called an odometer change birthday. Restaurants not being open for dining in I made Himself a memorable at-home birthday dinner.

Menu was as follows:
Risotto
Bacon wrapped sea scallops and shrimp
Fresh spinach salad
Birthday Dinner_2020-05_overall.jpg
Wine - Gewurztraminer​

And for dessert
Wellsley Fudge Cake with
cooked chocolate filling / frosting​

It was, if I say so myself, one of the best meals I've ever made. Or eaten. Scallops very tender, shrimp done just right. Spinach from farm stand, fresh and crisp, good choice to go with the risotto and seafood.

For the dessert I made half the recipe, used cake flour sifted twice before measuring. Baked as an 8 inch square single layer. Very light and tender. Thought about cutting into two, went for three. Two would have been better. Filling / frosting was dark brown sugar, shaved chocolate, milk, cooked together, butter stirred in, then vanilla. All good, and there's a goodly amount left.

I assured Himself that dinner tonight will not be the same. After all, we ate everything up.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi None of us are born knowing how to cook. Maybe we learn from our mothers. Not really in my case. Cookbooks are invaluable. I like them because if I like a few of a particular book's recipes I'll probably like others.

There are all sorts of limitations. You won't eat meat. Muslims and Jews won't eat pork. My daughter is allergic to fish and seafood. Who cares? We all should eat what we enjoy.

Let me suggest you begin by carefully following a few recipes. When you are comfortable with them, begin tweaking, perhaps by combining something from this recipe with something from that recipe. You'll gain an appreciation for what ingredients work well together.

It's a leaning process. But should be one that you enjoy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I really recommend following recipes closely at first. You can find all kinds of recipes online, if you don't know what you want, just google "vegetarian recipes" (you can add a qualifier like "for instant pot" or "stirfries" or with a major ingredient listed if you want), and just browse. Once you're comfortable with a recipe, you can start tweaking it to suit your tastes, but at first you really want to stick to the recipe, or else have a high tolerance for "experimental" meals ;).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, stick with recipes until you are more comfortable :grouphug: Cookbooks, web sites, the FoodNetwork channel on tv, Youtube videos, etc are all helpful. There are even free virtual cooking classes from well known chefs these days. Once you have an understanding of how a dish is put together ingredient-wise, you can make changes without completely changing the recipe. Swap out the veggies with similar ones. Change things up a bit with different herbs and spices that work well together. I wouldn't change the cooking method. If a recipe says to use the oven, don't use the slow cooker or the stove top.

I have leftover brown sugar garlic chicken for dinner tonight. I had a brain fart and used ginger instead of garlic :doh: It didn't affect the end result much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that what we call Windowpanes? A fried egg in a square hole in a slice of toast? Used to be our son's favorite breakfast. He loved and still does love them. He's even got the Grands hooked on them.
No, although the name is applied to that here in the USA. I always called that dish "One-Eyed Eggs." Actual British Toad in the Hole is link sausages cooked in something very like a Yorkshire pudding batter. And it was yummy! If I did it wrong, it was a very tasty wrong!

Yesterday I made a pot roast, and have enough meat and veggies left for at least three more meals! I'm kinda weird about potatoes in pot roast. I don't peel 'em, just scrub them thoroughly. For my money, the skin is the best part of the potato! And if others don't care for it, well...it's stupidly easy to pull the skin off of a boiled potato! Guess what I'm having tonight? Although I will probably just have a plate of the veggies. YUM! OH OH OH! And I scored a turnip! They can be very hard to find here, but I got one! Turnips, peeled and cut into rough chunks, are wonderful in a roast, which is really saying something, 'cause I do not, in general care for turnips.

Status
Not open for further replies.