What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lol Bruce :lol: Good to see you again and hope things are well :wave3:

Tonight I have some leftover sausage, maybe one of the frozen French bread pizzas. Tomorrow I'm making the slow cooker 5 spice chicken and mushroom dish again. For mushrooms, I have shiitake, white button, and oyster. The shiitake mushrooms are dried so I have to remember to soak them in water overnight.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stores now calling vegetarian/vegan food "Plant based" annoys me,
Plant based sounds kinda fancy, but I like it. At least it's not animal based! 🐔🐖🐄🦃

maybe one of the frozen French bread pizzas.
Now I'm craving one of these. Haven't had them in years!

For lunch I had 2 slices of toast with Aldi cashew butter and one cappuccino. ☕🍞🥜
For dinner I had vegetarian taco salad with a new hot taco sauce, which was pretty fiery & tasty. 🌶

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's really good! Try the Aldi's Simply Nature brand. I like it because it has oil, sugar, salt in it. I hate those bland natural types that are just nuts and nothing else. I think it was only like $4.
I'll have to check around, but I don't think we have Aldi's brand. But I will look for another brand that might be similar.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've tried Sunflower Seed butter before. It's just like sunflower seeds in creamy spreadable form. I imagine other nut and seed butters are similar. Some might the kind you have to stir because the oil separates out.

I'll start prepping the slow cooker chicken in a few hours. I think I might have frozen sweet potato fries to go with it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh that's right, you're in Canada. You might not have Aldi stores.
Oh, didn't realize that was a store. So, yeah, definitely won't have it. Hopefully, though, I'll find a cashew butter somewhere. Probably in the organic (and more expensive) aisle. :ohwell:

I've tried Sunflower Seed butter before. It's just like sunflower seeds in creamy spreadable form.
That sounds good too. :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight we are having honey garlic meatballs in the slowcooker served with a rice and broccoli mix dish.
My oven is on the fritz, so I have to come up with meals that don't use the oven. It's harder than I thought, especially when you want variety and have a picky husband!
I often make what we call "mish mash", which is ground beef, onions, canned diced tomatoes, broccoli and rice all mixed in together with whatever seasoning speaks to me at the time. So I thought that I would change it up a bit and still make the mish mash without the ground beef and instead make the meatballs to serve on top.
Lets hope it turns out! I didn't follow a recipe for the meatballs...so I guess we'll see.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What were the ingredients in the almond butter? Was it one of those bland ones with just a few ingredients? I'm very picky about my nut butters.
Yes, just almonds and maybe oil. It kept separating and needing to be stirred, and eventually just hardened into a clump at the bottom of the jar. It was also rather gritty.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried Sunflower Seed butter before. It's just like sunflower seeds in creamy spreadable form. I imagine other nut and seed butters are similar. Some might the kind you have to stir because the oil separates out.

I'll start prepping the slow cooker chicken in a few hours. I think I might have frozen sweet potato fries to go with it.
I've had a jar of Sunflower Seed butter once and it was awful. It tasted stale and it was very hard to stir. I threw it away and it cost me $9.00.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I've had a jar of Sunflower Seed butter once and it was awful. It tasted stale and it was very hard to stir. I threw it away and it cost me $9.00.
I'm sorry you got a bad batch. It may just not be your thing, and that's okay. I was given a restaurant sized container of sunbutter once that was AMAZING. It was fresh and good and all for me so I got to have all I want.

Depending on where you shop, it may or may not be less expensive than peanut butter. If you have kids, it's probably a better idea because some schools don't allow peanut butter. Even if they do, the allergies some of these children are developing are so severe that it just makes sense to look into other kinds of nut butters these days.

It's not being different just to get attention, it's being a good neighbour and looking out for those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
/rant over

Tonight is just going to be leftovers for me: either the soup I thawed and didn't eat yesterday or the mac and cheez that doesn't go into the freezer.

My furbabies are getting turkey and appropriate supplements: EZComplete for Willow and THK Base Mix for both puppies, but I may switch Laurel to EZComplete for dogs in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.