What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you got a bad batch. It may just not be your thing, and that's okay. I was given a restaurant sized container of sunbutter once that was AMAZING. It was fresh and good and all for me so I got to have all I want.

Depending on where you shop, it may or may not be less expensive than peanut butter. If you have kids, it's probably a better idea because some schools don't allow peanut butter. Even if they do, the allergies some of these children are developing are so severe that it just makes sense to look into other kinds of nut butters these days.

It's not being different just to get attention, it's being a good neighbour and looking out for those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
/rant over

Tonight is just going to be leftovers for me: either the soup I thawed and didn't eat yesterday or the mac and cheez that doesn't go into the freezer.

My furbabies are getting turkey and appropriate supplements: EZComplete for Willow and THK Base Mix for both puppies, but I may switch Laurel to EZComplete for dogs in the future.
How was the Vegan mac&cheese?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always though that the ones with the fewest ingredients were the better tasting ones.
I think the ones without salt & sugar taste gross, like an old shoe.

For lunch I had one of those HUGE bagels from the bakery at Price Chopper. I put roasted red pepper hummus on it!
rubysmama rubysmama --I was surprised the hummus only had 1 gram of protein in 2 Tablespoons. :dunno:
Also had a vanilla cappuccino made with milk.

For dinner I cooked tofu in a frying pan on medium with 1 TB of oil, pinch of salt & pepper. Then I put 1 TB of hot sauce on half way through. It was pretty good! I loved the flavor. I don't think I cooked it long enough though, it wasn't crispy. I put it on a Kaiser roll with mayo, lettuce, tomato.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight we are having honey garlic meatballs in the slowcooker served with a rice and broccoli mix dish.
My oven is on the fritz, so I have to come up with meals that don't use the oven. It's harder than I thought, especially when you want variety and have a picky husband!
I often make what we call "mish mash", which is ground beef, onions, canned diced tomatoes, broccoli and rice all mixed in together with whatever seasoning speaks to me at the time. So I thought that I would change it up a bit and still make the mish mash without the ground beef and instead make the meatballs to serve on top.
Lets hope it turns out! I didn't follow a recipe for the meatballs...so I guess we'll see.
My friend makes this for a simple quick meal. You could make it in slowcooker, It's rice. black beans, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes.
I guess in a slowcooker you could put everything in there at the same time. She tops it with sharp cheddar and tortilla strips.She
uses canned blsck beans. I don't think it would take a long time. Maybe put the strips on top once it's finished.

Nicole sent down:

Country style pork ribs
mashed potatoes
a vegetable and cheese pie
green beans

I have a coconut cake from Pepperidge Farms.but I'll have a piece tomorrow

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could make it in slowcooker, It's rice. black beans, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes.
I guess in a slowcooker you could put everything in there at the same time. She tops it with sharp cheddar and tortilla strips.
We had this exact thing last night! It was like a taco salad. I put hot taco sauce on it.

a vegetable and cheese pie
This sounds interesting. What was in it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the sunflower seed butter at Trader Joe's for a few dollars.

The slow cooker chicken and mushroom came out good again :yummy: I think next time I'll decrease the amount of brown sugar a bit.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the sunflower seed butter at Trader Joe's for a few dollars.

[/URL]

The slow cooker chicken and mushroom came out good again :yummy: I think next time I'll decrease the amount of brown sugar a bit.
I sure wish we had a Trader Joe's around here. I heard they were cheaper than most stores. The store I brought the sunflower-seed-butter went out of business a few weeks ago. I usually buy Skippy because it is easier to stir.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are hoe cakes?
They are basically a cornbread batter cooked in a skillet or on a griddle like a pancake.The recipe I have says to use 1/8 of a cup per "cake",and it worked out well.
I'm not much of a cornbread fan,so I thought this would be different,and they were,and they were good,too.History says that "back in the day" an actual garden hoe
was heated in the fire and the cakes cooked on that hot hoe.Thank you for asking!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We met friends for dinner at an Italian restaurant. I had Rotolo - tricolor pasta sheets rolled with ricotta, spinach, mozzarella, and marinara sauce plus salad. DH had baked mostaccioli with ricotta, mozzarella and bolognese sauce plus minestrone soup.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
For dinner I had Pacific organic roasted red pepper & tomato soup plus a grilled cheese sandwich. That was the best soup I ever had.
I use that soup as tomato base for a variety of things. It's awesome.

I'm not really having dinner per se... Cleaning out the 'fridge and pantry, so just nibbling as I go.
"Oh hey, lookit this... " *sniff* "smells okay" *nibble*

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For lunch I had one of those HUGE bagels from the bakery at Price Chopper. I put roasted red pepper hummus on it!
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama --I was surprised the hummus only had 1 gram of protein in 2 Tablespoons. :dunno:
Yeah, hummus doesn't have much protein. :( There's probably a fair amount in your HUGE bagel though. :)

For dinner I cooked tofu in a frying pan on medium with 1 TB of oil, pinch of salt & pepper. Then I put 1 TB of hot sauce on half way through. It was pretty good! I loved the flavor. I don't think I cooked it long enough though, it wasn't crispy. I put it on a Kaiser roll with mayo, lettuce, tomato.
You're getting so creative with your vegetarian cooking. :thumbsup:

My friend makes this for a simple quick meal. You could make it in slowcooker, It's rice. black beans, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes.
I guess in a slowcooker you could put everything in there at the same time. She tops it with sharp cheddar and tortilla strips.She
uses canned blsck beans. I don't think it would take a long time. Maybe put the strips on top once it's finished.
That sounds pretty good, and definitely easy. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I sure wish we had a Trader Joe's around here. I heard they were cheaper than most stores.
I wouldn't say that TJ's is cheaper than most stores, although it certainly is cheaper than Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck). But the neat thing about TJ's is the variety of items you can find there. It's an interesting store, just to walk in and explore; they have so many neat items. The closest TJ's to us is about 60 miles away, so we don't get there very often. I have TJ's gift cards that are burning a hole in my pocket and I'd really like to visit.

Dinner tonight will be a Lean Cuisine pizza. I know, I know. But we're both dying for pizza and can't afford the calories to buy one from our local pizzeria. It's really the next best thing.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't say that TJ's is cheaper than most stores, although it certainly is cheaper than Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck). But the neat thing about TJ's is the variety of items you can find there. It's an interesting store, just to walk in and explore; they have so many neat items. The closest TJ's to us is about 60 miles away, so we don't get there very often. I have TJ's gift cards that are burning a hole in my pocket and I'd really like to visit.

Dinner tonight will be a Lean Cuisine pizza. I know, I know. But we're both dying for pizza and can't afford the calories to buy one from our local pizzeria. It's really the next best thing.
Same here. Our closest TJ's is 60 miles one way too. I've never been to one. LC pizza isn't bad for frozen. I've had worse from a pizza place. We have some BAD pizza here in Florida. You know it's bad when your go to is a frozen (Amy's roasted vegetable is mine).

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The closest TJ's to me is about 40 miles and I have only been there once. I was vegan at the time and went crazy at all the food I could buy there. We just got 3 new grocery stores around Christmas time but of course no TJ's.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still hooked on my homemade mushroom pizza on naan bread, which coincidentally I'm having tonight. I bought a bag of mixed salad, so will probably open that, and have some salad too.

Oh, looked for cashew butter today at Walmart, but no go. Google suggests that Bulk Barn has it, so if I can't find it anywhere else, I might buy it there. I'm just not crazy about buying food from bulk bins, so that will be a last resort.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still hooked on my homemade mushroom pizza on naan bread, which coincidentally I'm having tonight. I bought a bag of mixed salad, so will probably open that, and have some salad too.

Oh, looked for cashew butter today at Walmart, but no go. Google suggests that Bulk Barn has it, so if I can't find it anywhere else, I might buy it there. I'm just not crazy about buying food from bulk bins, so that will be a last resort.
I used to make pizza like that back when I ate a lot of naan bread.

Tonight I am having stir fry tofu and kale. My favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.