What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I emailed Papa John's and told them that I didn't have any dinner last night because they screwed up my pizza. So they gave me my next TWO pizzas free. :clap:

We had one of the free pizzas tonight and it was perfect. :)
I got Pineapple, Mushroom, Green Pepper on my half and I put hot sauce on it.
complaining about something that was not right always helps.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I made this meatloaf today with beef and pork, lots of tomato sauce I made last summer from my home grown tomatoes and some mushrooms in the sauce, it looks delicious but now that I have it I don't want it. This happens a lot to me lately, I love to cook but I don't love to eat anymore, at least not most things. For lunch I had sliced Persian cucumbers that somebody here grows hydroponically with just an Italian dressing on it, that was it although I had that meatloaf all ready to eat. What kind of lunch is that? I guess that meatloaf will turn into sandwiches instead of into the meal with potatoes and Brussels sprouts that I had envisioned with sandwiches later.
Had my grandson over yesterday and I made salmon with french fries and some veggies. Now this boy (man, at 27?) had never eaten fish besides what he and his dad had caught in the local rivers, trouts of various kinds, with some lemon and butter, wrapped in foil and put on an open fire which he did not care for. So he was not sure he would like any other kind of fish. He is on the spectrum although very verbal but is hard to convince of anything that is different of his routine and will not say if he does not like something, just puts up with whatever. Weird upbringing but let's not get into that. Since I have been around he has opened up a bit as he has found that saying "no" will not mean the end of the world and nobody will get mad at him or tell him he is stupid or otherwise put him down.
So I encouraged him that if he did not like the salmon he should say so, just try one bite and go from there. He actually took a bite after smelling it and commenting that this fish was not white but orange and that he had heard that salmon was "pink", that he also thought it was kind of dry. I told him that most people will put a sauce on it like Bernaise or Tartar sauce, so he tried the tartar sauce and decided that he liked the salmon and would try some other fish when he was in a restaurant where they offered it. Quite a breakthrough for someone like him who has an aversion to anything new or different.
I think I am a good influence on him as I am not judgmental, encourage him to break out of whatever he has been told, to try new things, he even has applied for a voluntary position at the local ASPCA which he never thought he could do before, and is now scheduled for orientation!!
Here in NV social services are the pits, I told him he should move to CA where social services are much more available. This is true but he does not have the means to do so. As I do not like to be here and wish I had never left CA I will be thinking of how I could make it possible for both of us to move to CA, away from his mom who is a basket case herself with more phobias than any one person should have which then affects her son in an unhealthy way. She is also in denial of all kinds things, has cataracts but will not have surgery so she can see better and thus is a hazard on he road. Her husband, my son, encourages her on not having the surgery because "it might leave her blind", what bunk, this is not the dark ages. Sh is on more meds than anyone should be, smokes cigarettes and pot (legal in NV), and hardly ever leaves her house where she keeps the blinds drawn and the lights on low and watching junk tv all the time she is awake which is from noon until 3 am. No wonder my son is hardly ever home, driving a big rig.
I can just hear her if I took my grandson and myself to CA that I had estranged him from her. It would be for his own good as no arrangements have been made for him to live on his own once his parents are gone, just vague thoughts but nothing concrete, no plans of any kind. There is also a little matter of money that he gets through her from disability when he should be on SSI which would give him more money and also medicaid instead of it being tied to her Soc Sec Disability and medicare. Of course she thinks she knows it all and has more objections than anyone can think of. I DO know what I am talking of as my late daughter was on SSI as a child and as an adult due to a severe heart condition, so his mom cannot say she knows better as she doesn't. I have been through all of that with my daughter and know what is most advantageous.
Ok, just venting, this should not be on this thread.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so he tried the tartar sauce and decided that he liked the salmon
I agree, it's all about the sauce. There were lots of foods I didn't think I liked as a child because my mom served them too dry with no sauce. Now I put sauce on everything.

For lunch I had a can of Great Northern Beans with hot sauce. They were so mushy that they tasted like hummus.
For dinner I had the rest of that penne casserole with chickpeas, pasta sauce, red/yellow bell peppers, onions, garlic, shredded cheese, breadcrumbs, hot sauce.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight's dinner was a clean out the leftovers kinda night.He had a cheeseburger and fries left from last night and I had the last piece of polish sausage,leftover mashed potatoes and I made a scrumptious tomato,cucumber and onion salad.It was all yummy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a pack of chicken thighs in the fridge. I was going to use the crock pot today to make BBQ chicken, but am now thinking of trying that on Tuesday instead. Now I'm not sure about dinner tonight; I may hit the freezer for a quart of split pea soup and make apple muffins to go with.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH said he had a taste for pasta casserole so I bought fresh ricotta and parmesan to make it for dinner tonight. It's nice because it's a dish we both can eat since I don't add meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did do the chicken thighs in the crockpot. I used my casserole crock pot. After the thighs cooled down, I shredded what was left from dinner tonight.

So now tomorrow, we're having chicken enchiladas, something I don't make very often at all. Rick would rather have thighs than breasts, so I'm using thigh meat for the enchiladas.I'll make cole slaw tomorrow and maybe a pan of chocolate brownies for dessert.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quinoa burger
Did you make the veggie burger or store bought?

peas, cottage cheese
I had cottage cheese on my salad last night! With peas sounds good though.

For lunch I had cereal, half was Kashi Berry Fruitful squares, the other half was Purely Elizabeth Pumpkin Granola. The granola was so yummy! It had pumpkin seeds & chia in it, and it tasted so healthy. Most granola is too sweet for me, but this wasn't. I loved it!

For dinner I had 4 vegetarian chicken nuggets and steak fries. I had my new Banana Ketchup on it, which was really good! I thought it would be too sweet, but it wasn't. It just had a hint of spice & banana, but tasted like ketchup.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner tonight will be Spanish rice,some leftover roasted chicken from last night and I made a cucumber and onion salad.I made hubby oatmeal peanut butter cookies yesterday so maybe dessert? or I may have a honeybelle orange.Hmmm…...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have picked veggies without the white cauliflower.
Why not cauliflower?

For lunch I had a sandwich made with Great Value NY Style Rye bread toasted. Mayo, lettuce, tomato, swiss cheese, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, cashews, hot sauce, and some cilantro that my brother bought me.

For dinner I had part of a Subway tossed salad, but I added chickpeas, sunflower seeds, cashews, dried cranberries, croutons, blue cheese dressing, hot sauce. The salad already had lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, green pepper, shredded cheese, grated cheese, hot peppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.