What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't make the buckwheat. It was part of a prepared (cooked) grain bowl from the meal kit. I put it in the freezer since I wouldn't be eating it right away. Maybe freezing cooked buckwheat affects it?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is 9 AM...it is THREE HOURS past my bed time. I am waiting for the exterminator to show up...some time between now and noon. The cable company is sending a tech at 3 PM to try to fix my buffering issues. WHATEVER I have for supper tonight is going to be something that does not require hot stoves or sharp knives, so probably a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is cooked buckwheat supposed to look kind of slimy?
Those sound like my mom's gluten free buckwheat noodles. They weren't very tasty.

Here's an easy recipe to cook "vegetarian" collard greens
Thanks. It sounds like I needed to add oil, butter, broth, garlic, onions.

tuna salad and cornbread
I bet macaroni salad would be good with cornbread!

For lunch I got the idea to heat some fruit up on the stove, diced mango & sliced red grapes. It was actually really good! I also had the rest of those Great Northern Beans, but they turned to mush after 3 minutes on the stove. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. How long do you guys cook beans?

For dinner I had Lean Cuisine Penne Rosa-- it had zucchini, cheese, tomatoes, cream. It was pretty bland and watery. I put hot sauce on it, but that didn't help. 👎

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The meal company had a shortage of ingredients so had to double up on some items for orders. I got 2 chicken soups, 2 of the same grain bowl, 1 salad, and 1 loaf of sourdough bread. Not really a big deal. I did email the company to ask why and I got a $15 credit for my next order. I had half the salad for dinner and a slice of the bread. Everything else went into the freezer.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For dinner I made scrambled eggs,took a couple of ham slices out of the freezer and grilled them,and made potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes with an egg,onion and a little flour.Cooked them on my griddle...so good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday I had a hair appt, so Rick was in charge of dinner. He made chili and then when I got home, I threw some baked potatoes together. We had the chili over the baked potatoes with a small salad to round things out. And a bowl of chocolate marshmallow ice cream for dessert.

I think tonight we'll do some hot dogs. And I think I'll do some French fries in the air fryer. I'm really in the mood for fries. With lots of malt vinegar and a wee bit of ketchup. I love French fries, but try not to have them often.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and 1 loaf of sourdough bread
Was the loaf of bread on the menu or did they just throw that in randomly? Sourdough bread is good though. 🍞

I love French fries, but try not to have them often.
We have fries about once a week. 🍟

For lunch I had a can of asparagus with hot sauce on it. Not as good as fresh or frozen.
For dinner I had a Taco Bell Cheese Quesadilla with black beans & tomatoes added. Then I put hot sauce on it. I love customizing my orders. :thumbsup:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was the loaf of bread on the menu or did they just throw that in randomly? Sourdough bread is good though. 🍞
I selected the bread to add to my kit. I can choose up to 5 selections for my kit. Bread is one of the available selections. I just wanted to try the bread. It's ok. I've had better sourdough bread made by a local bakery.

I picked out my meals for the next delivery, not next week but the week after: two stir fries, a jar of comb honey produced by the company's own bees, a West Coast-inspired grain bowl, and a Middle East-inspired salad. Fresh farm eggs was an option but I'm not a big egg eater.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We have fries about once a week. 🍟
I wanted to try to make French fries in the air crisper of the Foodi Grill, just to see how they'd turn out. They were really good, but not crisp enough. My fault. Five more minutes and I think they'd have been perfect.

Rick is bowling tonight, so I'm thinking of soup and salad for dinner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also had the rest of those Great Northern Beans, but they turned to mush after 3 minutes on the stove. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. How long do you guys cook beans?
I don't think I've had Great Northern Beans, unless they're the same as White Kidney Beans. :headscratch:

As for cooking times, you're talking about canned beans, right. Not dry beans?

If canned beans, I just drain and rinse them, then add them to whatever else I'm using in the recipe. Usually towards the end of cooking time, so that they won't get mushy. However, red kidney beans and black beans both seem to hold up well to longer cooking times, including soups.

I don't ever eat canned beans by themselves, except for baked bean types, and then I just cook them long enough to heat them through.

Does that answer your question, at all?

I've not done much cooking lately, as I'm trying to use up stuff in the freezer.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a jar of comb honey
Oh, that's my favorite, comb honey in a jar! It's much better in a jar than in those trays. :yummy:

Does that answer your question, at all?
Yes, thank you. I'll try black beans & kidney beans on the stove for 2 minutes next time. I want to try cooking them with hot sauce and see what happens.

For lunch I had Progresso Garden Vegetable Soup. OMG this was so good! I was shocked because I'm always disappointed in store-bought soups. It had so much stuff in it- kidney beans, celery, potatoes, green beans, carrots, tomatoes. I put hot sauce in it.

For dinner I had a Sunshine veggie burger cut up, corn, and scrambled eggs with cheese. Then I mixed it all together on my plate with hot sauce like a casserole or hash. It was delicious!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tend to like Progresso soups too, good for you!

Hoki fish fried in a pan, steamed veggies, cottage cheese. No dessert, I ran out of time, plus we're in the middle of working to lose the weight from the previous weeks of "party mode" lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned beans are already cooked. You just need to reheat. If they turned into mush, the stove burner might have been on too high a setting. Stirring constantly tends to turn many things into mush.

A local honey company sells trays of comb honey for $13. I've never had comb honey before.

I had Colorado turkey chili tonight and some minestrone soup, both from a meal kit that I froze. The chili didn't have much turkey in it. It was mostly rice, kidney beans, onions, squash of some kind (possibly zucchini and summer squash), and a few red skinned potato wedges. The soup was good. This one was all veggie, no pasta like most minestrone soups do.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I like the Progresso soups too. I might open a can from my Public Safety Power Shutdown stash tonight if I'm too lazy, but I'm planning on making this:

for me, turkey backs for the dogs, and Willow gets another rodent.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday (Thursday) I took a turkey breast out of the freezer to start thawing for Sunday dinner.

Last night we had a Freschetta pizza. I'm not sure about tonight. Rick really wants tuna and noodles, so that may be dinner.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cottage cheese
Do you serve it cold on the plate? That's interesting.

A local honey company sells trays of comb honey for $13.
The tray I had was waxy, it wasn't the right ratio of honey to comb. It's a billion times better in a jar.

For lunch I had Kashi Berry Fruitful cereal, added granola, then heated half a cup of milk in the microwave and poured that on. It was really good with hot milk! It got a bit soggy, but still good.

For dinner I had lentils, peas, carrots, and a potato casserole that had milk, cheese, salt, pepper. Kind of like scalloped potatoes, but saucier. Butter on the peas, carrots, lentils, and hot sauce. I was suprised, I really love these canned lentils!

Status
Not open for further replies.