What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took out one of the frozen entrees from the meal kit, chicken and sausage jambalaya. I took out the butternut bisque soup earlier but it might be not thawed out by dinner time. I'll just have the soup tomorrow with whatever is leftover from the jambalaya. I have a choice of a Juici apple, a tangerine, and Valentine Day's decorated cupcakes for dessert later :think:

The meal kit auto-renewed for next week. I cancelled it online (have to confirm with the company that I won't be charged when there are no meals selected) and paused delivery until the following week which I may end up cancelling as well depending on how much food I have in my freezer to go through. I can see the available meal options for the next few weeks. That's a nice feature to have so you can plan ahead and decide what to pick or just cancel for the week :agree:

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 here you go

Mac n cheese
* Ingredients
* Kosher salt
* 1 pound pasta shells
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 4 oz unsalted butter
* Extra butter to line baking dish
* 5 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 5 cup whole milk
* 3 cup grated cheddar cheese
* 3 cup grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese (I used Swiss)
* 3/4 pound (about 16 slices) American cheese
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Bread crumbs with a little melted butter and garlic salt

Cook pasta. Melt butter, add flour, whisk in milk And stir until thickened. Then whisk in most of cheese (reserve some for top) until fully melted. Mix together with pasta.
Pour into 9 x 14 greased baking pan, sprinkle with remaining cheese and buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 425 until bubbly. Note:
This makes a huge pan so I halved the recipe.
When I make it again I will use a little less sauce or more pasta and maybe a little less cheese.
Thank you!! I'm so hungry for it right now!!!

Tonight,Nicole is sending down:
London broil
mashed potatoes
salad
green beans
chocolate cake

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Decisions, decisions. Need to decide pretty soon - having defrosted chicken thighs today and dinner arriving in the not too distant hours - do I make
Chicken marengo OR
Chicken cacciatore OR
Take the easy way out and just grill them under the infra-red broiler in the oven

Like I said, need to make up my mind

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an answer. Made the mistake of asking Himself, who cleverly asked what the sides would be. Option A or Option B, I said, would be with rice. If I broil the chicken thighs it would be little boiled potatoes. And as Himself doesn't feel like having rice - broiled it shall be. Teaches me about asking questions I do not know the answer to.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some vegetarian grain bowl recipes:
Thank you for the recipes. That vegetarian cookbook sounds like something I should get to learn how to cook.

For dinner I had an Amy's frozen dinner. It was spiral pasta with asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes. I put hot sauce on it. It was okay, but it needed more seasoning.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your local library may have a copy of the Mark Bittman vegetarian cookbook. I personally like to see if the library has a copy of a book so I can browse. No point in buying a book if there are no recipes that I would ever make. Google Book is a great place to preview actual books. Here's the one for Mark Bittman's vegetarian cookbook: link here

The jambalaya was good. It was mostly shredded chicken and carrots and just 2 pieces of spicy sausage.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The girls and I shared a steak last night. I had some veggies with it. Tonight might be a couple of broiled chicken thighs and some veggies. I have a turkey thigh in the freezer too. That sounds good too. The girls adore turkey. They like it more than chicken.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try cooking with seitan sometime.

Here's the one for Mark Bittman's vegetarian cookbook:
Thanks. It looks like a great book for learning to cook.

For lunch I made frozen collard greens and added great northern beans, hot sauce, salt, pepper. The collard greens were so bitter! It definitely needed more ingredients. Blech.

For dinner I had a vegetarian Impossible Whopper. Again they put 2 pieces of cheese on it and charged me 60 cents. The receipt said "Heavy Cheese" which I never asked for. I'll have to email them and ask them if it's supposed to come with 2 pieces of cheese.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight, hot dogs with cheese and onions.

Would you believe that I'm STILL trying to get that stupid meatloaf made? Yesterday ended up being a no-go, as the precious neighbor who helps me with heavy cleaning came over in the evening and tore my kitchen apart to deep-clean it. I'm now shooting for Wednesday.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think collard greens are one of those veggies that need to be cooked long and slow so it's actually edible. Collard greens are a Southern staple and are typically braised with ham hocks and other things.

Is cooked buckwheat supposed to look kind of slimy?😮 I took out one of the frozen grain bowls last night and portioned it out for lunch tomorrow. The buckwheat looked a little unappetizing. Maybe it's the sauce?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 My experience with buckwheat is cooking it from scratch.

From February last year when there was a thread about beans and other grains:

"Another grain I like to cook is buckwheat. You may find it in the ethnic / kosher section of your supermarket, where it may be called kasha. Actually, in Poland, Russia, and Ukraine, kasha refers to a porridge made from any kind of grains boiled in water or milk. But I digress.

"Kasha varnikas
Thoroughly beat an egg. Add coarse or medium ground kasha and stir until well mixed and all the grains are coated. Cook in dry pan over medium heat until the grains are dry and separated. Set aside.
Add oil to pan and toss in coarsely diced onion. Stir over medium heat until onions have softened and just begun to brown. Add diced mushrooms. Stir while cooking until mushrooms have softened. Return kasha to pan. Add broth (or water) and cook, covered, over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes until kasha is done.
Add pasta, cooked separately. I like farfallini, little bowties. Some people use noodles, broken into pieces before cooking."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For lunch I made frozen collard greens and added great northern beans, hot sauce, salt, pepper. The collard greens were so bitter! It definitely needed more ingredients. Blech.
Here's an easy recipe to cook "vegetarian" collard greens
Vegetarian "Southern-style" Collard Greens

I needed to make a quick and easy dinner so I had scrambled eggs with red peppers, avocado and swiss cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.