What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Welcome back!

When Dear Richard was in Florida, he had Argentinian skirt steak with chimichurri sauce. He wanted me to try making it...so that was dinner last night. It was yummy. I roasted broccolini with shallots and red pepper topped with sherry vinegar, and a slice of my freshly-made sourdough bread (made it yesterday morning). Dessert was a slice of peach pie with a scoop of ice cream. And life was good.

That plate with the hunk out of the bread? That was mine. I couldn't wait. I just slathered it with butter. Yum. The chimichurri was just fresh basil, a red chili pepper, one jalapeno, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. Rick did the steak on the grill for about six minutes total.

I need a good lame to make my cuts on top of the loaves. Even a sharp paring knife doesn't do the job properly. My BIL told me last night to try a single edge razor blade.

Tonight we're having fried chicken (thighs). I'm trying something from Cook's Country for oven fried chicken in my cast iron pan. I got one of the old Griswold pans out yesterday, gave it a good scrubbing, and re-seasoned the thing. To go with, I'm making just a small bit of macaroni salad (I prefer potato, but we only have russets on hand and I won't use them in potato salad). Probably more peach pie for dessert.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks fabulous Winchester!!!! Your bread looks wonderful too. I do use a single-edged razor (actually a utility knife with the thick razor) for cuts on my loaves. Works a charm.

Not sure what I'm having for dinner tonight. Having my first cup of coffee. Whatever might sound good right now would probably be "something else" by evening!

Utility knife (No, not for dinner)...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a large pan of chicken tetrazzini and just had a wedge of lettuce with Italian dressing on the side.

So...looks like I'll be having leftovers for the next few days...unless someone finds @1_bruce_1, re-straps him to the car roof and y'all make your way here to help me eat the rest of this!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well dang, orange&white orange&white That certainly looks good!

Didn't Bruce say his appetite was crappy? Or he wasn't feeling well? Wonder if his cats got the best of him!

Tonight is leftover skirt steak in ciabatta rolls with pickled red onions or leftover fried chicken, take your pick. With just a simple chopped salad.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could eat casseroles like that every night and never get sick of it. :yummy:
:yeah: Oddly I never had casseroles while growing up (it was a foreign concept to my immigrant parents). I got into casseroles during my time in college. The dining hall food was actually decent and is now nationally recognized. I should make casseroles more often but I worry about my electric bill going way up:paranoid:

I think one of Bruce's last posts said he was having a glass of milk for dinner. Hope he doesn't have a stomach bug or something.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think one of Bruce's last posts said he was having a glass of milk for dinner. Hope he doesn't have a stomach bug or something.
Lord, me, too! Those can be miserable. The hardest thing about internet friends is not knowing if they are ok when they don't post.

Tonight will be black beans and rice. Keeping it simple.

I have a major shopping trip on Wednesday...replacing all of my meat and condiments from the refrigerator, and buying a few things that I generally can't afford. My DSNAP almost doubled my grocery budget for this month, bless them. I lost a BUNCH of meat, and was wondering how to replace it all.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did'ja miss me???:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

.....Awww shucks you did. :thumbsup::grouphug:

I'm fine.. well as "normal" as I can be which ain't very normal. I am sorry if I worried anyone, but I've just been doing more than usual (you know, 18 hours a day on TSC, 5 hours of sleep/animal time, 1/2 hour devoted to Baby Girl alone, cause she's spoiled, and 1/2 hour of work, or pretending to work.)
Sorry I fell off the roof of the van car thing. That's what I get for not using a ratchet strap that makes my eyes water and makes me make a noise like a balloon with the air slowly being let out.
We've been busting our asses doing some serious winter prep projects, small but time intensive. I walk in the door, kick off my boots, feed the pets then collapse face first into bed and stay there.
It's not done, but the majority of the prep is, and things will slow WAY down soon and the "winter projects" can be meandered along because we have until April to actually get them done.
(Which means if I disappear on March 29th, don't panic because I'm trying to do 6 months of work in 3 1/2 days, because I never learn, that's why.)
Tonight, will be chicken and taters and gravy and preserved green beans from this summer and biscuits.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! We found him! :)

:welcomeback1: We missed you. Sounds like you've been swamped.

I had tetrazzini for lunch, so I'm going to make a cup of broccoli/cheese soup and pour it over my last leftover baked potato for dinner tonight.
Oh damn, broccoli cheese soup is on our list! :biggrin:
We have a block of velveeta that's sitting in the pantry and every time I go in it's wailing "Eat me, eat me!" :flail: We can make so much out of velveeta I don't even care that it's a "food product" and not "food." It's delicious groceries.
Hey, when someone flies off the roof of your car and lands in the gutter, sometimes they're all "meh, this feels right" and stay there for awhile! :crackup:

Status
Not open for further replies.