What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I went shopping for pet food meats at the Asian and Mexican markets. Usually I pick up a few things for the humans as well. ;)

The Mexican market is pretty awesome. They make a lot of things in house: fresh tortillas (various flavors/shapes/sizes), tubs of rendered lard, chips, salsas, ceviche, chorizo, fruit horchatas.... and much much more. Anyway, they make a mean molcajete roja sauce, makes the nose run without sacrificing flavor.

So last night, at the end of my pet food making day, I had 5 oz of pork left over. Cubed it, browned it, splashed in a little bone broth and a good 4-5 heaping tablespoons of the molcajete sauce. Let that simmer in the pan until pork was cooked through, added a little more broth, topped with fresh broccoli and let that simmer until the broc was tender (and so was the pork). All done in a small 5 in pan... cooking for one FTW.

Tonight I have a b-day party at Carraba's. Hoping there are some healthy-ish choices on the menu.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, here's the deal....I had a food saver bag of "something" in the freezer (the label fell off). It looks like either chicken or well, it could be pork. It's in the microwave thawing. I had done a roast pork in December last year and I just did a roast chicken back in January, so whatever it is, it's not old and it's in a Food Saver bag. It's frustrating when labels fall off. :dunno:

So...if it's chicken I'm going to make a bit of creamed chicken and I'm thinking of making some waffles (I could go for chicken and waffles and I've been thinking of waffles for a couple of weeks now). If it's pork, well, I have some pineapple chunks in the pantry and some pepper chunks in the freezer to make a quick version of sweet & sour pork. The Mystery Meat is already cooked, so whatever it is, it won't take long to make something with it.
It is chicken and it’s simmering on the stove in a cream sauce as I type. I’m defrosting buttermilk in the microwave for the waffles. I gave Dear Richard his choice of popovers, waffles, or biscuits to ladle the chicken over. He chose waffles.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got a couple chicken breasts in the 'fridge screaming for some molcajete treatment. :devilish:
Ohhh, nice!

Dear Richard suggested hot sausage sandwiches tonight. I got sausages, lots of peppers, and some buns last night at the grocery. With just a simple salad.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a boneless skinless chicken breast defrosted... may make some Marsala.. found a sauce at Trader Joes. I am going to pick up a few mushrooms, and doctor up the sauce, a bit..

or pizza.... with a storm brewing, I think I want to have my old standby: Mushroom Pizza...

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some pizza dough rising. Thinking ham and pineapple pizza.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You haven't posted in a few days which isn't like you. You doing all right? I'm still a bit worried about you after that fall you took several days ago.
If I may, I am going to take the liberty of replying for, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 .

She is having more computer connection issues. This time it is here Internet Provider.
The connection is 'iffy' at best.. more like spotty connection, if she hits it right.

Mamany is ok from the fall. The doctor checked her out, on Friday.. just a bit of a sore wrist to keep an eye on.

She is sending her love to all...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
THEY FIXED IT! WHOOOO HOOOOO! I am online again!

My neighbor just stopped in and said, "Hey, I was at KFC and remembered you saying how much you like their pot pies. I was there, and brought you one!" Chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes and gravy, and the first soda I've had in months!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is chicken and it’s simmering on the stove in a cream sauce as I type. I’m defrosting buttermilk in the microwave for the waffles. I gave Dear Richard his choice of popovers, waffles, or biscuits to ladle the chicken over. He chose waffles.
I did not know you could freeze buttermilk. Man is that going to make random pans of cornbread MUCH easier!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I did not know you could freeze buttermilk. Man is that going to make random pans of cornbread MUCH easier!
My MIL told me about freezing buttermilk. You know, you can buy powdered buttermilk, too, and then reconstitute it as you need it (just add water). But the stuff eventually gets hard as a rock. And you can only get buttermilk in quart containers (at least around here), but usually you only need a cup or so for a recipe.

Make sure you freeze it in one-cup sizes or however you plan to use it. I freeze mine in one-cup sizes because that's how I normally use it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm, I didn't get anything out of the freezer. But I do have two cans of tuna in the pantry (and two in the fridge). Thinking about individual tuna loaves with some frozen stir-fry vegs as a side.

I have two little Pyrex individual casserole-type dishes with lids that I use when I make individual meat loaves, tuna loaves, or salmon loaves. It make a perfect single serving. I spray them with non-stick spray and the loaf slides right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.