What's for dinner? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Pizza. We came back from that pizza class at King Arthur (at the beginning of October) with a large ball of pizza dough and I stuck it in the freezer. Well, I need to use it, so I took it out this morning and threw it in the fridge to thaw. Once it's thawed, I'll let it go at room temp until it rises again. I'll make a bit of sauce, we have turkey pepperoni and I'll saute some onions and peppers. We have some mozz. Should be good!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A chicken ceasar salad from the store. They're like $6 but I love them lol.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Something with ground beef....not sure what yet. When I was in the basement working on laundry, I pulled a pound of beef out of the freezer this morning. Rick is pushing for some kind of pasta. Or chili; that man loves chili. If I do chili, I'll put it in the crock pot later on this morning. And I'll make a pan of Vermont Corn Bread to go with. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ethiopian curried chicken, plenty of white rice.

Fiery, but so good.
That sounds good @DoomsDave
Did you make it from a recipe or was it from a restaurant?

Dinner tonight is leftovers from the one pot chicken dish yesterday. The recipe said 15 minutes to cook but it took me over an hour... not including prep time
I did use a different rice than the recipe called for because that's what I had on hand, Jasmine brown rice. An hour after putting the rice in, the pot was still soup
  I ended up taking the lid off and turning the heat up for the next 20 minutes or so. Not sure if having an electric stove makes a difference in cooking time. The result was well worth the wait, though

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I may order Dominos, take advantage of their 50% off if ordering online special.  Must think about this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Oh, I love lentil loaf. Are you vegetarian? I am.

I'm having tomato soup and a grilled cheese.
Yes, I am vegetarian.  And love lentil loaf too.  And black bean burgers.  Neither of which I ever had before becoming vegetarian. 

I like tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich together too, but don't have it often due to all the sodium.

clmgordon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually had a garden veggie burger with a side of sauteed mushrooms for dinner tonight. It was delicious.

My goal for 2017 is to be a pescaterian - a vegetarian that eats fish. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about what you guys that are vegetarians eat for dinner regularly.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Either macaroni and cheese (my choice) or tuna and noodles (Rick's choice). I'm really hungry for just plain old mac and cheese and it's easier to make than tuna and noodles. 

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My goal for 2017 is to be a pescaterian - a vegetarian that eats fish. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about what you guys that are vegetarians eat for dinner regularly.
I wish I could tell you I eat a healthy, delicious meal every night, but unfortunately even vegetarians sometimes settle for quick, less nutritious meals.

Here's an idea of what I eat when I'm motivated to cook. I do put leftovers in the freezer, so that helps a lot when I'm unmotivated to cook.

Soups - mostly cooked in my slow cooker:

Black Bean, Minestrone, Lentil,  Hearty vegetable with Kidney Beans, etc.

Pasta - I like tomato based pasta and try to limit cheese.  I have a couple favourites.  One is tomato pasta with broccoli. Another is tomato pasta with spinach. I do occasionally make a mac & cheese.  And veggie lasagna's are good too.  

Beans & Rice - a vegetarian staple. My 2 favourites are 

Black Beans & Rice and Kidney Beans & Rice

Veggie Burgers:  I have a few recipes.  One for black bean burgers.  A couple for kidney bean burgers.  

Lentil Loaf - I make this occasionally. It's fairly time consuming, but it's one "meat substitute" that I would eat with potato & veggies.

Salads:  I make a Spinach Salad with strawberries, red onion & slivered almonds with Poppy Seed Dressing.  I also make a chickpea salad with cucumber, red onion, tomato & chickpeas.

As I'm vegetarian, dairy & eggs are ok to eat. But I try not to make recipes too heavily based on either, as the fat content, especially in cheese, adds up quickly. Also cheese has a fair amount of sodium.

I love fruit and sometimes just have a yogurt parfait, with whatever berries are available (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) and maybe banana. I'll sprinkle chopped walnuts on top and maybe drizzle with maple syrup.

I'll make an egg burger with cheese sometimes.

Veggie PIzzas:  I actually rarely make a pizza, even though I love them.  Must remember to make them more often.

Sandwiches:  Egg sandwich. Grilled cheese & tomato. 

And my favourite Chickpea Salad Sandwich, which is mashed chickpeas with mayo and whatever you'd normally put in a tuna sandwich.  Delicious. 

There must be more I'm forgetting.  Will add if I think of more.  Just Google your favourite foods and add "vegetarian" or "vegan" (if you want dairy/egg free) and see what comes up. Sometimes I'll look at the pictures instead of the text results, and see which recipes look the most appetizing, then I'll adapt them to my preferences.

I mostly avoid processed vegetarian foods, as they are no healthier than meat-based ones.

I do drink soy milk, but again, try to avoid too much "processed" soy foods, like burgers.  I do occasionally buy a soy-based "non-chicken" nugget which I enjoy. I've yet to find a recipe for a vegetarian "chicken" nugget that comes close to the real ones.

Tonight I took some Minestrone out of the freezer. Will probably have a muffin with it (also out of freezer) and probably an apple, or a couple clementines.

Good luck with your 2017 dietary goal @clmgordon.  Be sure to watch the types of fish you eat, as some are more apt to have mercury than others. 

And, you know, no need to wait for 2017 to try vegetarian recipes. I started trying vegetarian recipes months before I gave up meat for good.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Not sure about tonight. There is leftover mac and cheese in the fridge.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hungarian Paprika chicken. I bought some chourico to put in it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.