What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We are ending a food trial with Trin on Instinct LID Rabbit dry (so far no takers on the wet version, and since we are in a food trial nothing to top it with). Not only is it hard to find a good dry food with no poultry, but when you do it's loaded with peas! So difficult.
Duck is another option if rabbit doesn't work. My cat with an extremely week immune system had no trouble eating it. It was nature's variety canned lid. Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm worried about the allergy inducing possibilities. But it probably doesn't hurt to try it out since i feed a variety of different canned foods in a given week. I'm going to do some research and contact the company for some info.
I am waiting for the variety pack to come out in a month

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, maggie101 maggie101 ! We have our next vet appointment tomorrow to check on his IBD progress, and I was planning on bringing up his diet then. I would like to move off of the rabbit since there are limited options for dry and wet. If I can work in the duck or even turkey or beef that would be fantastic since there are lots of great foods with those that don't have fillers.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, maggie101 maggie101 ! We have our next vet appointment tomorrow to check on his IBD progress, and I was planning on bringing up his diet then. I would like to move off of the rabbit since there are limited options for dry and wet. If I can work in the duck or even turkey or beef that would be fantastic since there are lots of great foods with those that don't have fillers.
You can always keep the rabbit in there and add more flavors. Even my food obsessed cats get annoyed if they don't have variety.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he hasn't even tried the wet rabbit food. We diagnosed his IBD while trying to switch him onto wet food. We were using chicken as a topper, which was the only reason he tried it. So he has not tried wet food that was not topped with chicken. He also doesn't seem thrilled with the Instinct Rabbit dry food, but he eats it.

If we can start feeding him other proteins, then we can build up his wet food repertoire and maybe he will try the rabbit wet. One day ...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milly has nixed the idea of me serving her a snack of Nature's Variety Instinct Healthy Cravings Rabbit.

I guess it's just as well, as it's meant as a meal complement not a complete meal.

It has a lot of pork in it, too -- and yet another instance of her showing me she is not a pork fan.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and never go to the pet food store without your readers.

I like to get grain-free foods for Milly to try, and I walked away with a can of Fromm Lamb pate and a can of Fromm Turkey pate.

:doh2: Pearled barley is the 4th ingredient on the list. :doh2:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone down to feed quail to their cats?
Holistic Quail Dinner for Cats 5.5 oz
I'm going to be ordering this in my next chewy purchase. There are some stupid ingredients in there that they don't need but I talked to them and most of the food is protein and fat.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, I didn't know they had that! I've only fed the 1/2 quail egg that comes ing the Tiki Cat After Dark cans.

Sure, there are some "stupid ingredients" but I see those same ingredients in many other foods that I consider good (except tomato paste - that's a first). It looks "bad" because they are all in the top few ingredients, but if you spoke with them and they say it's mostly quail then that makes some sense.

Although I am surprised they don't say "96% quail" or something ... labeling regulations say that a "Quail Dinner" is only required to have 25% quail by weight (obviously they could have much more than that). But I don't see any other source of protein, which means if the protein is nice and high it must have a lot more quail in it.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, I didn't know they had that! I've only fed the 1/2 quail egg that comes ing the Tiki Cat After Dark cans.

Sure, there are some "stupid ingredients" but I see those same ingredients in many other foods that I consider good (except tomato paste - that's a first). It looks "bad" because they are all in the top few ingredients, but if you spoke with them and they say it's mostly quail then that makes some sense.

Although I am surprised they don't say "96% quail" or something ... labeling regulations say that a "Quail Dinner" is only required to have 25% quail by weight (obviously they could have much more than that). But I don't see any other source of protein, which means if the protein is nice and high it must have a lot more quail in it.
I thought adding ginger was kind of weird. But oh well. If its a tiny amount its fine in a rotation. It also only has .83% of phosphorus on a dry matter basis so it would be great for kidney cats. He did say it hardly had any carbs. He said he would have to calculate what % of calories comes from protein and fat. Poor guy having to take my call. Lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond --I didn't know that about your cats not liking pate. What do you feed for canned food? I know you probably told me before, but I forgot.:)
I feed a lot of foods, they like shreds, and some small minced foods. About the ONLY pate they will eat at all is sometimes ff classics, and occasionally wellness core chicken turkey and liver. They like tiki, almo nature, and fussie cat, and earthborn for shreds, for minced they like nulo, nutro, ff grilled especially the beef feast, american journey, sheba, and some of the Purina pro plan flavors, they like the turkey and rice quite a bit. Im not a very organised person when it comes to buying cat food, :rolleyes: i try a lot of different shredded and minced foods. But these listed are the favs right now, and ones i try to keep in the house most of the time.

They usually get shreds in the morning, and minced at night :)

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the GO! Petcurrean Fit & Free Turkey and Trout Stew? It's kind of like minced. I know you avoid peas, and there are some peas and potatoes (and cottage cheese!?) but the peas are the 10th ingredient on the list. Olive slurped it up like she was starving (although that's fairly common, the glutton).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did try that, i have one cat that likes trout. They were not fans. I have tried a few of the petcurrean foods, wet and dry, my guys don't seem to like their foods for some weird reason :dunno:

Sokkies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really want to try a new cat food. Cats are use to Whiskas and Pamper.
What I am looking for is some kind of sauce to pour over the 'Wet Food'
Currently I'm using a 'dog sauce' They just love it
Cat sauces I cant find.
So if anyone has any ideas 'I'd appreciate it'

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really want to try a new cat food. Cats are use to Whiskas and Pamper.
What I am looking for is some kind of sauce to pour over the 'Wet Food'
Currently I'm using a 'dog sauce' They just love it
Cat sauces I cant find.
So if anyone has any ideas 'I'd appreciate it'
ff has broth. I buy Weruva grandma's soup with chicken and pumpkin and give the sauce to one cat and chicken to my other 2

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried NomNomNow - the food looked great, it came with ice packs and insulation to keep it cool and the company sounds very knowledgeable and great. Olive loved it, she was really excited about eating it. Gohan gagged again and didn’t try.

It’s too expensive to feed regularly ($30/week for 7 pouches of ~120 kcal) but it’s very good quality. They even provided beef broth and seasoning to help transition.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I’m currently feeding the LID rabbit kibble! No takers on the LID rabbit wet food though ...

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm disappointed in the LID line because they recently started adding pea protein. Before they had whole peas which were easy to take out. I refuse to pay that much money for that kind of product. It's one of the priciest out there!

I haven't been able to find vital essentials for a reasonable price online lately. So i had to go into the neighborhood cat specialty store and get some rad cat turkey. I hope my cat likes it! He doesn't like primal frozen anymore and will get tired of freezed dried primal if i don't switch it up.