What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

cardinalred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to try making my cat's food at home. To have complete control over the ingredients, safety, freshness etc.

I had to euthanize Francis the Second on 24 July. Advanced kidney disease. Fed him the best supermarket and super premium food I could find. Can't help thinking what I was feeding him contributed to his illness and premature death. I was hoping he'd be in my life another 6 or 7 years as his namesake was.

Starting with Susan Thixton's Buyer Beware, the AAFCO Publication, FDA, the National Research Council Your cat's nutritional needs, and a host of scientific journals meant for people with credentials I don't have... as well as helpful articles here and elsewhere,

with tweaks addressing needs a cat has that a human doesn't, he's going to get human edible food because Whole Foods doesn't sell beaks, feet, intestines full of dung etc and call it meat.

Maybe AAFCO has cleaned up its act since Thixton wrote her book. But I can't rest easy with "maybe" when the goal is to augment his health as much as possible.

Bit of a rant here. It will be a departure to feed my cat from "human edible" food (a regulatory term), "human grade" is a marketing term so that there are no lingering doubts about what's really in that can.

Only way to totally remove those doubts is to make it myself.

If one is wired to sweat the details, as I am, one can go to the USDA FSIS site to see if those "human grade" claims are true. If they aren't on that list, they aren't human edible.

Have refrained from adopting another cat until I know what I'm doing and in a friend's words, have all my ducks lined up, as I usually do.

It's been 5 weeks, one day....

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrote this in another thread but these are the ones im very excited to try.

Dr Elsey's Turkey - The foods are caloric, lower in phosphorus and the calories from protein are actually higher than calories from fat. 95% of high quality foods these days have more calories coming from fat and not protein since fat is cheap.
Avoderm Salmon Pate - It's more caloric and isn't overloaded on phosphorus. Not grain free but only 10% of its calories are from carbs which is still good.
Lotus Rabbit Pate - This rabbit flavor is lower in phosphorus and has a decent amount of calories. I'm waiting to hear back from them about the caloric breakdown. Unfortunately their other flavors are high in carbs (15-20%) so I'm expecting this to be at least 19% or so. But the cons of this food gets mitigated by the pros of hound and gatos rabbit and vice versa so I'm willing to feed this to my cats if the calories from carbs is less than 20%.
Evangers Super Premium Quail - waiting to hear back from the company about this one. Would be nice to feed a different protein.
Nature's Logic Turkey - Seems good all around. Stay away from their rabbit...calcium is very high, too much bone in the formula

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dr Elseys needs a poultry free, low/no fish option. *Sigh*

I keep saying that and am hoping they will someday do it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr Else's clean protein beef

Nutritional Info
Ingredients

Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salmon Oil, Agar-Agar, Barley Grass, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Turmeric, Dried New Zealand Green Mussels, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid.

Caloric Content
1,156 kcal/kg, 180 kcal/5.5-oz can

Guaranteed Analysis
CRUDE PROTEIN 11.0% min
CRUDE FAT 6.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 1.50% max
MOISTURE 78.0% max
MAGNESIUM 0.03.0% max
TAURINE 0.10% min
It is going to be hard finding a food without salmon oil but it's not the same as actually eating fish.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dr Else's clean protein beef

Nutritional Info
Ingredients

Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salmon Oil, Agar-Agar, Barley Grass, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Turmeric, Dried New Zealand Green Mussels, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid.

Caloric Content
1,156 kcal/kg, 180 kcal/5.5-oz can

Guaranteed Analysis
CRUDE PROTEIN 11.0% min
CRUDE FAT 6.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 1.50% max
MOISTURE 78.0% max
MAGNESIUM 0.03.0% max
TAURINE 0.10% min
It is going to be hard finding a food without salmon oil but it's not the same as actually eating fish.
Thank you. I probably should have mentioned my guys can't eat poultry, I'd like to limit fish and they refuse beef or venison. Their diet is mostly rabbit right now with more fish then I'd like.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I probably should have mentioned my guys can't eat poultry, I'd like to limit fish and they refuse beef or venison. Their diet is mostly rabbit right now with more fish then I'd like.
Are you in the US? Some brands:

Pride by Instinct Flaked Rabbit
Hound and Gatos Rabbit Pate
Lotus Rabbit
Instinct Ultimate Protein Rabbit

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was also on rabbit but didn't like it suddenly but she did ok on duck. She had ibd/pancreatitus/liver inflammation. Hope your cat feels better! Yes, I am in the USA
Houston,tx

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We do the Instinct one's right now. But I do dry and wet food, finding the dry is the hard one.
We are ending a food trial with Trin on Instinct LID Rabbit dry (so far no takers on the wet version, and since we are in a food trial nothing to top it with). Not only is it hard to find a good dry food with no poultry, but when you do it's loaded with peas! So difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had not seen Dave's new cats meow line, after you mentioned it i looked it up on chewy, they have it in stock now.. If your cats will eat pate, which mine are not fans of :oops: it looks pretty good i think.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked up Dave's Meow on Chewy. The turkey one looks really good. Even has turkey heart! But I'm side eyeing that Brewer's yeast in all the foods in that line.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond --I didn't know that about your cats not liking pate. What do you feed for canned food? I know you probably told me before, but I forgot.:)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked up Dave's Meow on Chewy. The turkey one looks really good. Even has turkey heart! But I'm side eyeing that Brewer's yeast in all the foods in that line.
I googled cat brewers yeast. Is is actually good for cats

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I googled cat brewers yeast. Is is actually good for cats
I'm worried about the allergy inducing possibilities. But it probably doesn't hurt to try it out since i feed a variety of different canned foods in a given week. I'm going to do some research and contact the company for some info.