What Else Do You Do Online?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was on SecondLife for awhile and really enthusiastic about it but left because everything was monetized, which I won't do. It's a great idea, though. Are you enjoying it?
I've been there forever, so yes I do enjoy it a lot! I've made a lot of friends there that have crossed over into the real world, including my husband. We met on the forum there. We've been together now for 10 year total, married a couple of years ago.

It is monetized though, a lot of people do have jobs/careers there and make fairly good money so I don't begrudge them that. It is what you make of it. There's a ton of amazingly creative people who are there. I'm always amazed at the talent I find there.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The usual social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), Tumblr, my email accounts, Pinterest, school work, browsing the library website for more books to read, shopping, planning my grocery store trips, job searching, house hunting, reading fanfiction. I try to not go on certain sites like Wikipedia or YouTube because I will find myself still on there an hour later looking at something I didn't plan on looking at. I call those moments information binges because I get sucked into learning more and more about different things.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love ancient history so am always reading anything to do with something old..lol
Stuck on sites about Out of Place Artifacts at the moment...like hunks of stainless steel found in 10,000 year old coal deposits etc.
Some weird stuff out there.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I either play video games or watch a lot of tv and movies. I have two sites I frequent (my antivirus says they're safe) which I can get almost anything on.

I spend more time than I care to admit on YouTube, watching cat videos and scary and creepy ghost/paranormal type videos.
Have you tried Nuke's Top 5? I love his videos and his voice.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Checking out podcasts and audiobooks to download, mainly.
Researching things I've realised I don't know (there's a lot of that :lol:)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot a big one! I have this Russian site that has all kinds of puzzles - I mostly do nonograms or play solitaire (but they also have jigsaws, sudoku, word puzzles that I haven't checked out because I presume they're not in English), and users create the puzzles, so there's always more added. And I find it very calming.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sivyaleah sivyaleah That's great to hear! I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much.
Lari Lari have you ever visited jigsawplanet.com? I LOVE that site! It's very relaxing after a day of advocating and doing all the other stuff I do every day.
muffy muffy if you enjoy funny memes and videos, mostly with cats, you might want to visit icanhascheezburger.com. I'm on their listserv for daily laughs. You can create on there, too.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So strange that anyone online presumably has access to a search engine and yet so many people ask questions they could find answers to on there! Maybe it's the social aspect? :headscratch:
I sometimes use Quora--because the things I am searching are hard to find elsewhere, if not impossible to do so. I also like the personal aspect of the answers--you have people who are often experts on the topic--it's like having a chat, i.e., real person talk to you. I'm currently following someone from Mongolia who talks about every day life there and Mongolian history, and he's interesting to read.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes use Quora--because the things I am searching are hard to find elsewhere, if not impossible to do so. I also like the personal aspect of the answers--you have people who are often experts on the topic--it's like having a chat, i.e., real person talk to you. I'm currently following someone from Mongolia who talks about every day life there and Mongolian history, and he's interesting to read.
That's great! When facebook allowed me to have a personal account, it was a blast, talking to several people at once, in different parts of the world. *Those were the days!*

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on Facebook. Pinterest (and, unfortunately, I can spend hours on Pinterest, checking out she-sheds, baking recipes, Christmas decor, etc. I have found that, no matter what I'm looking for, Pinterest will help.)

I shop online. Years ago, I developed a nasty bout of sciatica that lasted for several months. That year, I ended up doing most of our Christmas shopping online because I had no other choice; I couldn't even walk without a lot of pain. Once I realized how easy it was, I kept doing it. Takes away a lot of the stress of shopping around the holidays and dealing with people.

Rarely do I check out YouTube, sometimes for music or if I'm having trouble with an appliance in the house, but that's it.

On my iPad, I play Words with Friends 2 with Rick. I also play Wordscapes. And I read library e-books; in fact, reading is probably my biggest activity on my iPad.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I like forums better than Facebook. I enjoy talking to people I would not otherwise interact with and learning interesting things.

The internet has become a lot less friendly and a lot less diverse. I used to be on all the time, but now I mostly just frequent pet and hobby forums, look stuff up, buy a few gee gaws once in awhile, and get off.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like forums better than Facebook. I enjoy talking to people I would not otherwise interact with and learning interesting things.

The internet has become a lot less friendly and a lot less diverse. I used to be on all the time, but now I mostly just frequent pet and hobby forums, look stuff up, buy a few gee gaws once in awhile, and get off.
I agree, W Willow's Mom -- though I love being online and do a lot of different things online, it has changed a lot since back in the day. I miss a lot of things about how it used to be. I love being social, too. IMHO it's not just the medium, it's the times we're living in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinkbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm on Facebook. Pinterest (and, unfortunately, I can spend hours on Pinterest, checking out she-sheds, baking recipes, Christmas decor, etc. I have found that, no matter what I'm looking for, Pinterest will help.)
I love love love Pinterest and totally forgot to mention it. You can find absolutely anything on there. And if you don't know what you wanna look up, you can quickly find something to entertain you just by looking at your feed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I either don't use Pinterest right or I don't get it, lol. It's just pictures, right? I always find Pinterest pages when I'm looking for a craft and try to find instructions for that craft or details on that shed or whatever, but all it is is pictures, not even a link to instructions. But I don't have an account so maybe I'm not seeing everything.

I used to have several forums but gradually lost interest in the others, so this is the only forum I'm on currently. I have a few blogs I follow. I look up several different news sites every day. Look at the local funeral homes to keep up on who has passed away (this is important in a small town!). Facebook a little (I never post anything but I like a bunch of reptile sites and various other fun things). A couple comedy/webcomic sites. Reddit (I don't have an account; just reading). Banking, bill paying, credit card, etc. Fairly constant Googling whatever pops into my head (how old is Harrison Ford? Etc.).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

You know, W Willow's Mom , I rather agree with you on the forums v. FB thing. I'm on FB for the family pictures, more so than anything. But I like forums more, for the same reasons you mention. And I'm on the computer so much at work, that, when I get home, there are nights when I don't even bother turning the computer on. I'll hang out for a while on my iPad and that's pretty much it.