What Constitutes A 'last Resort'?

æries

æries <3 Mars
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having some very conflicting feelings right now. I was sleeping, and I guess Mars was bothered that I was sleeping instead of paying attention to him. He put his paw on my face, and regardless of if he tightened or I just moved my head the wrong way, I ended up feeling pain, put my hand on my face and brought it down to find lots of blood. I got the bleeding under control and won't need stitches, but I'm in pain and am icing the cut. I just talked to my parents and my SO, and both asked if I considered declawing. On one hand, after this and a few other instances of blood-causing scratches, I'm afraid of it happening again. But on the other hand, as much pain as I'm in, I don't want to put him through that. I don't know. Is this the kind of situation where I should be considering it? Or should I still hold off on putting him through that. BTW, he doesn't go outside to where I'd really be worried about him being able to defend himself...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know much at all about changing cat's behavior but there are those here that do. With cats it isn't so much about training in the same way as dogs but it can be done. It is usually done with draining their energy with regular scheduled playtime and redirection. If you were in bed keeping him out of the bedroom is a possibility. Many people with cat allergies do that. He will protest for awhile but then get over it.

Other than things like people who have gone on blood thinners where a cat scratch could be a very serious possibly fatal situation I believe there is always an alternative to declawing.

I just thought of something else. There is a product called Softpaws that you could try SoftPaws.com - Nail Caps for Cats and Dogs They are nail caps that you glue on your cats claws. They come in all kinds of colors. They come off when the cat sheds their claw sheath. The colors have the added advantage of being able to tell at a glance when one has been shed and needs replaced.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally feel no behavior justifies declawing. Look at humans, there are murderers and worse out there and we don't chop off hands to prevent them from repeating their crimes. An accidentally scratch is much less severe but the punishment is chopping off fingers? Doesn't seem right for any reason to me. Not to mention you stop one problem with the very real chance of starting others (worse behavior issues from litter box problems to general moodiness). My very honest opinion, Id rather the cat was rehomed if it is that big of a problem.

As to the claws. You can teach your cat that claws on humans are wrong. It is a very simple, loud no and withdraw all attention every single time the claws or teeth touch you. Regardless of how little or how much. After a few weeks most cats will become more mindful and realize claws hurt.

However, accidental scratches are one of the hazards of cat ownership. Just the other day Fury got me good when he freaked out at the vet. Unusual circumstances and I know of He hadn't been stressed it wouldn't have happened. But it is the risk you run if you don't regularly trim claws or use soft caps. With behavior training, trimming claws and/or soft caps you can minimize the risk of scratches. Please never declaw.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
æries, it's important to know that TCS is an anti-declawing website. We believe it is a pretty appalling thing to do to a cat, as others have pointed out. In my country, along with many others, it is illegal.

Declawing - More Than Just A Manicure
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

There is also the issue of how he will respond if he had no claws. The usual way is to bite. A cat bite as as dangerous, if not more so, than that inflicted with claws, and you haven't solved the problem.

Please do listen to the advice given here of other options. I'm sure you truly care for your cat and want to do the right thing by him. :)

Pelican

I like cats
Kitten
Purraise
The process of declawing is a strange and (in my opinion) inhumane one that can lead to even more behavioural problems than you've got on your hands now. You may have heard this all before but it involves removing the last bone of each toe of your cat. It can be excruciatingly painful...imagine having your fingers amputated from your last knuckle.

Some cats are in pain for the rest of their lives and can't even stand to use their litterbox because it hurts so much. Being in constant pain can also put some cats in a very bad mood and since their first defense is gone – their claws – they will move to their second defense – their teeth – and I'm not talking about play biting!

I work at a shelter and people have to actually sign a contract before adopting a cat that says they will never declaw. We have also gotten returns for cats that people have gotten declawed anyway that left very affectionate and playful only to come back practically feral.

All that being said, I know a few declawed cats that are perfectly sweet, but it is definitely a huge gamble and will absolutely strip your cat of one of the joys of being a cat. And I can't say this for certain, but I would think if he is older, he is also more likely to remember what he lost.

I definitely second everything Denice said in her first paragraph. Play with your cat as much as you can using toys/string/boxes/etc...but never ever your hands or any other body part. When your cat is calm and/or sleeping, give him lots of pets around the head/face area or any other place you know he's cool with. You are a cuddle object/masseuse not a play object and this is the way you will communicate it to Mars. And absolutely shut your door when you're snoozing. If you haven't already, get that kit kat a scratching post and rub it up and down with some crushed catnip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

æries

æries <3 Mars
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. As I mentioned in my original post, I don't want to put Mars through that. I appreciate all the alternative ideas. When I wrote my original post, I was hurt and very sad that this had happened; I wasn't able to think of much. And only had the thought of declawing enter my mind when others mentioned it. And my answer to them (all who are from the camp that was preached the benefits of declawing) even was that I'd rather not. When my pain finally subsided enough to go back to sleep, I did close the door to keep him out of the room and was met with a lot less resistance than I expected. So I think the nights when he's being overly playful, that is now an option. Mars isn't normally so active at nights, and a few of you mentioned making sure he's getting enough play and activity before hand, I usually do so but will be more diligent about doing so in the future. As far as a scratching post, yes, he has one I've made out of an old ladder. I'm glad the claw tips were mentioned. I had forgotten about those being an option. I've heard they can be difficult to apply, but I'd rather go through trying to deal with that than resorting to declawing.
I love him so much, and I love being part of a community that can offer some great advice.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the reasons I joined this site was because of their strong stance against declawing, and that the many members and staff here provide information, links and education about declawing. Please research declawing and then you can make an informed decision.
:hugs:

But I can't help but throw in one of my smilies-

æries

æries <3 Mars
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. As I mentored in my original post, I don't want to put Mars through that. I appreciate all the alternative ideas. When I wrote my original post, I was hurt and very sad that this had happened; I wasn't able to think of much. And only had the thought of declawing enter my mind when others mentioned it. And my answer to them (all who are from the camp that was preached the benefits of declawing) even was that I'd rather not. When my pain finally subsided enough to go back to sleep, I did close the door to keep him out of the room and was met with a lot less resistance than I expected. So I think the nights when he's being overly playful, that is now an option. Mars isn't normally so active at nights, and a few of you mentioned making sure he's getting enough play and activity before hand, I usually do so and will be more diligent about doing so in the future. As far as a scratching post, yes, he has one I've made out of an old ladder. I'm glad the claw tips were mentioned. I had forgotten about those being an option. I've heard they can be difficult to apply, but I'd rather go through trying to deal with that than resorting to declawing.
I love him so much, and I

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he put very little pressure on and it was just a matter of the sharp tips causing a scratch, I think nail clipping should be sufficient. If he puts more pressure on you could consider claw caps.

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a girl who gets a little too... loving, I suppose, with her kneading and has torn up my leg real well.
To counter this, I not only clip once a week but also grind her nails down with my Dremmel on low speeds. Not all cats will tolerate grinding as it's an odd sensation and with some louder sounds, but my girls have grown used to it as I slowly introduced them. Claw caps work wonders also, and come in some cool colors.
Please don't declaw. It leaves them pained and confused. :(

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves getting his nails clipped. He begs for it when I am clipping my nails. I started with treats then talking/attention for each clipping. I just clip the sharp tips unless I have a reason needing more dull nails.

I also bought them multiple scratching posts, and lock them out when I am need the space. They learn not to do bad behaviours quickly when I kick them out of the room. My cats are very smart and learn quickly. I never had to strike my one cat to make him learn.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clipping the sharp points on the claws prevents me from being a bloody mess...so I would agree with others that regular trimming is the best solution.

æries

æries <3 Mars
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves getting his nails clipped. He begs for it when I am clipping my nails. I started with treats then talking/attention for each clipping. I just clip the sharp tips unless I have a reason needing more dull nails.

I also bought them multiple scratching posts, and lock them out when I am need the space. They learn not to do bad behaviours quickly when I kick them out of the room. My cats are very smart and learn quickly. I never had to strike my one cat to make him learn.
Thank you. I believe Mars will be able to learn as well now that I know that is a possibility.

Here is a picture of him on his cat scratcher ladder that I made him.

æries

æries <3 Mars
Kitten
Purraise
I have a girl who gets a little too... loving, I suppose, with her kneading and has torn up my leg real well.
To counter this, I not only clip once a week but also grind her nails down with my Dremmel on low speeds. Not all cats will tolerate grinding as it's an odd sensation and with some louder sounds, but my girls have grown used to it as I slowly introduced them. Claw caps work wonders also, and come in some cool colors.
Please don't declaw. It leaves them pained and confused. :(
Too loving is defesnitely how I would describe Mars as well. He loves cuddling and getting pet. I will just learn how to keep this from becoming a negative thing for me. I've had a hard time clipping his nails in the past, but got some calming ointment the other night that will hopefully help, but I wasn't sure how often to do it. So you saying you clips yours once every week helps. Thank you.

æries

æries <3 Mars
Kitten
Purraise
If he put very little pressure on and it was just a matter of the sharp tips causing a scratch, I think nail clipping should be sufficient. If he puts more pressure on you could consider claw caps.
I didn't think it was very much pressure at first. But when I noticed all the bleeding and how deeply one of the scratches in general was that made me unsure of how it even happened. I think the soft caps are an option I will be looking into.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too loving is defesnitely how I would describe Mars as well. He loves cuddling and getting pet. I will just learn how to keep this from becoming a negative thing for me. I've had a hard time clipping his nails in the past, but got some calming ointment the other night that will hopefully help, but I wasn't sure how often to do it. So you saying you clips yours once every week helps. Thank you.
I clip my kitten's claws about every two weeks, or if I notice they are sharp, or she is getting them snagged on fabrics. Sometimes I only clip one or two at a time while she is sleeping and very relaxed. If she wakes up and starts to struggle, I stop and wait a few hours to do another one or two. Never make it a fight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience with claw caps, I'll say that if you clip his claws once a week, or even twice a week (of course you don't clip any extra if they're still short, just check to make sure no sharp bits have grown back), that gives pretty much the same effect as claw caps. So if he's cooperative when it comes to claw clipping you could try that first before going through the trouble of applying caps.