What Constitutes A 'last Resort'?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Soft Paws caps look to me like they can be just a cruel as declawing, but the have 57% 5-Star rating at Amazon. It's the low-tier reviews where there have been injuries or the caps simply get chewed off by the cat in a few hours.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Soft Paws caps look to me like they can be just a cruel as declawing,
No, definitely not. They're not painful and they're temporary. My cousin's cat spent almost a year in them because they were living with my grandma when he was a kitten and he just couldn't control his claws enough to not scratch an old lady. They never seemed to bother him and now he doesn't wear them.

So I don't think they're cruel and I don't mean to discourage their use. But they are annoying and require an adjustment period, so if frequent clipping can take care of the problem, that should be preferred.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, well the majority of reviews (57%) like them and are satisfied. I personally would not use them.

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used the Soft Paws for Midnight (she wouldn't tolerate nail trimmings... so her pampering was to get them applied at a local cat-only groomer/boarding place). She was a kneader, with fast-growing needle-claws, and even scratching posts didn't do much to help her out. However, the Soft Paws worked great while they stayed on. Too great, sometimes. If her nails grew out and the cap didn't fall off, it would "grow" into her paw pad just as surely as the nail would (I noticed one a little too late, and spent another week trying to get it off of her, much to the detriment of my hands and her non-capped claws).