What Cat Food Has Your Cat Done Best On?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the link to that company?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com

There are other online supply businesses as well -- a lot of people use chewy.com. I like Drs. Foster & Smith because I've been a customer so long and I trust them to deal with any matter I may have. Their customer service is excellent, their incentives ditto, and also their variety. Also, it's owned by two vets and they are very knowledgeable about Rx for cats. You can even link your vet to them and they will send out Rx meds. I think they even compound.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOOKS like a cat, judging by your icon. But I've never met a cat who doesn't like tuna/bonita. And the name there? :lolup:
:flail:I know, right. If only you and others could please tell Baby (Bonita) that. I ended up throwing away that canister when we moved. If only I had known someone with a cat near me, I could have passed all the food and things my cat wouldn't eat. I also had to throw away the rest of that Fortiflora box and I donated some things we didn't have room for like a 2nd cat tower.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:I know, right. If only you and others could please tell Baby (Bonita) that. I ended up throwing away that canister when we moved. If only I had known someone with a cat near me, I could have passed all the food and things my cat wouldn't eat. I also had to throw away the rest of that Fortiflora box and I donated some things we didn't have room for like a 2nd cat tower.
Yeah, it's a shame when you can't find homes for things. I feel the same way. Usually humane societies, animal care and control departments, sanctuaries, and rescues are overjoyed to get usable things like that. ;)

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard really good stuff about Weruva canned food!!!
Glad your purr kid enjoys it =)
Weruva is definitely a gold nugget for us. I tried only 3 brands when Kaleb was a kit, and weruva seemed to be his preferred meal. He goes more for the chicken one than the fish. His coat isn't as shiny, but he's happier and his appetite stays good. For dry I feed Animaet. I am so happy that his digestive system is strong. I have food sensitivities and I don't think I could handle the both of us going through that. I'm also lucky he's NOT picky. I think that's where we were headed though, if I had decided to change foods all the time. That happened with my last cat, Chloe.

Kaleb also really enjoys salmon sushi flakes sprinkled on his wet food once in awhile.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva is definitely a gold nugget for us. I tried only 3 brands when Kaleb was a kit, and weruva seemed to be his preferred meal. He goes more for the chicken one than the fish. His coat isn't as shiny, but he's happier and his appetite stays good. For dry I feed Animaet. I am so happy that his digestive system is strong. I have food sensitivities and I don't think I could handle the both of us going through that. I'm also lucky he's NOT picky. I think that's where we were headed though, if I had decided to change foods all the time. That happened with my last cat, Chloe.

Kaleb also really enjoys salmon sushi flakes sprinkled on his wet food once in awhile.
***SALMON SUSHI FLAKES??? WHERE, pray tell, does one get SALMON SUSHI FLAKES?***:runningcat:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as dry food goes they eat Instinct Ultimate Protein. It says 95% of protein comes from chicken. They only get it as a late night snack because Artemis cries for it every night and its hard to ignore him, so I give them a little bit and that seems to satisfy him.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
***SALMON SUSHI FLAKES??? WHERE, pray tell, does one get SALMON SUSHI FLAKES?***:runningcat:
Hi Tarasgirl!!! I get them at a local natural grain free specialty store here in pa. Do you live in pa? From what I remember, you don't.

I will remember to look at the brand name for you next time I'm there.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tarasgirl!!! I get them at a local natural grain free specialty store here in pa. Do you live in pa? From what I remember, you don't.

I will remember to look at the brand name for you next time I'm there.
No, I'm out in the wilds of la-la land, CATifornia and thank you so much -- appreciate it!

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old male cat keeps switching his foods- but for the better part of last year and this year so far he has stuck to Royal Canin's adult instinctive canned food. And dry food of the same variant as in between snacks.

He is also one of those who don't drink water- so I give a packet of Hartz stew or bisque once a day, and maybe a hartz squeeze up as more moisture laden treats. Especially in this heat. He has a shiny coat. No health issues as such.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did any of you that feed mainly dry food consider that a kitten needs hydrating and extra nutrition that only wet food gives? In nature they don't eat berries or fruit or veggies, they eat meat. They get additional hydration from meat. When they were younger they only got food from their Mom, who only ate meat. I keep seeing cats that have only been fed dry develop problems later, especially urinary problems, diabetes etc. The cat food industry is NOT out to feed your cat what it needs, they are out to make the largest amount of money they can the cheapest way possible. That... is why you see so many "filler" foods on the list of ingredients. It's not because they are good for your cat, it's because it's CHEAPER.

Please, feed your cats, especially kittens, WET FOOD for their health. Would you want to eat dry wood pellets sprayed with a yummy scent all your life?
I so agree with what you are saying

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ki
Omg so what should I be getting for him?? He just turned 1 last month... i’ve Read some of the brands some people have posted, but where do I start?[/QUOTE It is a minefield all these cat foods on the market we feed granata pet omnomnom bozita tundra all of which are good quality wet foods . I didn't look to see the country you reside in but if you are in uk. Then zooplus uk is a fantastic site and they have sooo many to chose from. We actually tried feeding our cats raw food as I had read from the lisa Pierson article that raw was the way to go. But unfortunately mine weren't interested . It's just trial and error really but if you try n go grain free you won't go far wrong. Wishing you all the best.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was finally able to get my kitten to eat dry food, but I'm still supplementing her with wet cat food. I have been doing research on cat food lately but some have concerned me, such as the ordeal with Orijen changing their formula and causing cats to get very sick.

I was hoping to get some recommendation on what would be the best dry to put her on when she's an adult, for now she will only eat Royal Canin Mom and Kittens formula, I had some brands in mind such as the N&D by Farmina, or Acana Regionals. I thought of Merricks, until I heard Purina had bought the brand and changed their formula also. :/
I honestly feed raw food and, it is the best thing I have done for my cats. People who have Netflix should watch 'Pet Fooled'.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have Netflix, but I read Susan Thixton's book Truth About Pet Food, which is based on her website with the same name.