What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading Goodnight, Nobody by Jennifer Weiner. Decent story, kept me interested, but didn't grab my attention in the "can't put it down" fashion that books often do.

Next up, I think I'll read "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished listening to "Ender in Exile," by Orson Scott Card. I think there will be one more Ender book, to finish the cycle.

I'm working on "The Warlock," the most recent of Michael Scott's "Nicholas Flamel" series.

Also just got and started "Harrowing Hats," the fourth in Joyce and Jim Lavene's "Renaissance Faire" series of romance mysteries.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Next up, I think I'll read "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson.
Really good book, and a quick read. Read a lot of it with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I'm not sure if it really qualifies as a thriller, but it is a little eery to read about this woman trying to figure out who she is and what has happened to her (she has amnesia...both long term and the inability to form new memories). I would have liked to see it wrapped up a little tidier, however.

I've moved on to Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. If it's anything like his other two "romance" novels, it'll be a nice, quick read...perfect for back to school time!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Now reading The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll.
I REALLY enjoyed this book! It was kind of cheezy in parts, but I enjoyed it all the same.

I'm now about 2/3rds through Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano and an really enjoying it so far.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I've moved on to Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. If it's anything like his other two "romance" novels, it'll be a nice, quick read...perfect for back to school time!
Not a bad little story...quick and easy, as I expected. A little cheesy, but cute nonetheless. If you think Nicholas Sparks is light reading, James Patterson romance are Sparks-light.

Just about to start The Yokota Officer's Club by Sarah Bird.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm now about 2/3rds through Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano and an really enjoying it so far.
An enjoyable read based on a true story. It's a LITTLE slow in some parts, but worth it.

Now reading Flower Net by Lisa See.

sflacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez was excellent.

West with the night by Beryl Markham.Great book.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Smokin' 17 was cute. But I'm kind of getting bored with the whole Ranger/Morelli triangle thing. Stephanie needs to pick 1 guy. Yeah I know, it would probably kill the whole series thing.

I finally got "The Help". Broke down and bought it at Walmart b/c I was tired of waiting for it (and it came up in my name 2 days later). I really like it so far. Want to see the movie too.

Cheryl

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The question is what am I not reading? I'm always in the middle of reading several books at once. I usually break up by books by alternating reading several. Currently, my full length books I'm reading are, The Portrait of Dorian Gray, Emma, Madame Bovary, The Illiad, and The Arabian Nights.
Arabian Nights is an extra long endeaver to finish. It just keeps going and going and going. lol Great story that is cut up into smaller stories that are cut up into even smaller stories and those into even smaller stories. I also squeeze in reading a short fairy tales. I just read The Little Mermaid last night. Its so said.
Another longer book that I most recently finished was The Blue Fairy Book. Its a wonderful little book by Andrew Lang that's full of little fairy tale like stories.
Also if any of you feel like there's never enough time in the day and are in need of a great motivational book that's not long, read "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day" by Arnold Bennett. Its an article that was actually written around the turn of the century (I think around 1910) yet it is still surprisingly up to date and is quite an eye opener. It is about exactly what the title states. It cuts things down, and explains that we all have all the time needed already given to us. We don't have any less hours in one day as in the other so there's no reason not to equally fill each day to the fullest.
Really a great read. I normally don't read motivational books but this one was under the free Kindle books so I got it out of curiousity and boredom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

Smokin' 17 was cute. But I'm kind of getting bored with the whole Ranger/Morelli triangle thing. Stephanie needs to pick 1 guy. Yeah I know, it would probably kill the whole series thing.
Cheryl
I agree with you. 17 was cute. But I'm getting tired of the Ranger/Morelli thing, too.....I'm a Ranger fan, BTW. And the plots are same old, same old with Grandma Mazur, Mooner, etc. (Although I did chuckle over the "verdo" thing.) I have all of the Plum books, but I wasn't going to bother buying this one. Then the whole Borders thing happened and with the huge discounts, well, I bought it.

You know, the first Stephanie Plum movie is coming out in January '12, I think. It's based on One for the Money.

I will say that the Plum series makes my 90+ year old MIL laugh out loud when she's reading them. She just loves Ranger. The first Plum book she read, she was sitting back in her room reading and she just started laughing. My FIL went back to see what was so funny and he said she just kept laughing and laughing. She thought the "verdo" was hiliarious. (And did I mention that she's over 90?)

Yesterday, I started re-reading Duma Key by Stephen King.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah- the verdo thing was just too funny

No- I had no idea there was a movie coming out. I know there had been talk of it, but I never heard anything actually being done.

Finished "The Help". I broke down and bought it. Really good book. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. I loved the part about the pie.

I convinced my 17 year old who just loves history that she needs to read it.
cheryl

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The Race - Clive Cussler
Spider Web - Earlene Fowler
Dragon's Time - Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey (part of the Dragonriders of Pern series)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Went to the library over lunch today.....

Cold Vengeance - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (part of the Agent Pendergast series)
The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies - Susan Wittig Albert
Invincible - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Trespasser - Paul Doiron
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah E. Harkness

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grave Secrets - Kathy Reichs. I've downloaded all the Temperance Brennan series books to my Nook.

Going to get The Help next though

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just saw the trailer for One for the Money.

It might work. Morelli's kind of cute. And the lady that plays Lula- OMG!
She's kind of what I've imagined that lady to be.

Not sure if I'll want to see it for a "date night" or if we wait and do Blockbuster.

Cheryl

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now reading Ghost Moon by Karen Robards.
A REALLY good, fast read! Not the most believable book, but still really good.

Now reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Re-reading Crunch Time - Diane Mott Davidson

Also:

Damage Control - Denise Hamilton
Cat in a Vegas Gold Vendetta - Carol Nelson Douglas (part of the Midnight Louie series)

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got done reading "The Other Boelyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory and now I just started "The Other Queen" by the same author

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1978

Just got done reading "The Other Boelyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory and now I just started "The Other Queen" by the same author
Oh I LIKED "The Other Boleyn Girl" a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.