What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm re-reading Everything's Eventual by Stephen King while I wait for my hold to come in at the library. I'm waiting for Dead Ever After, the last in the series of Sookie books by Charlaine Harris. After reading the horrid reviews, I'm not sure if I should actually read the book, though. In a way I feel I have to in order to close the circle and finish what I started, but I'm kind of scared.
Also, I downloaded Guilty Pleasures by Laurel K. Hamilton but haven't started it yet. Her books were recommended by Harris fans who said she is an author who 'doesn't let her fans down'. Ouch. Excited to find a new series, hope I like it.
Oh, and last month I read all of the Harry Potter books for the first time. I really enjoyed them- they are so well written and I love how as the kids age with each book, the writing and content progresses with them. That woman deserves every penny of her bazillion dollars!

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm re-reading Everything's Eventual by Stephen King while I wait for my hold to come in at the library. I'm waiting for Dead Ever After, the last in the series of Sookie books by Charlaine Harris. After reading the horrid reviews, I'm not sure if I should actually read the book, though. In a way I feel I have to in order to close the circle and finish what I started, but I'm kind of scared.
Also, I downloaded Guilty Pleasures by Laurel K. Hamilton but haven't started it yet. Her books were recommended by Harris fans who said she is an author who 'doesn't let her fans down'. Ouch. Excited to find a new series, hope I like it.
Oh, and last month I read all of the Harry Potter books for the first time. I really enjoyed them- they are so well written and I love how as the kids age with each book, the writing and content progresses with them. That woman deserves every penny of her bazillion dollars!
My grandson is reading the Sookie series too He really likes them so we went to Half Price Books and bought  some of them for 2.99 each. And I have alot of SK books including Everything's Eventual Good book..

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that King said the title Eveything's Eventual means that he realized that somehow, some way, he is always writing about the Dark Tower. I'm a Dark Tower junkie, lol! Sure enough, as I'm reading these short stories, I realized they are all parallels to the Tower. John Dillenger was a gunslinger and had his ka-tet, the story about how repetition is Hell, the autopsy one about being trapped between life and death.....they seem like ordinary horror stories on the surface, but the themes of the Tower are in each one. I absolutely adore Stephen King. He's been my favorite author since I read Carrie when I was 12.

And dejolane, I saw you answered with Ship of Fools in the Song Title game - it seems we have more in common than just books! [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished Fifty Shades of Grey. Didn't think I wanted to read it, but was desperate for something to read, so when someone who doesn't read at all loaned it to me, I figured oh well. Now reading Girl of the Limberlost (Gene Stratton Porter) for some light relief before I move on to the second book in the Shades of Grey series.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that King said the title Eveything's Eventual means that he realized that somehow, some way, he is always writing about the Dark Tower. I'm a Dark Tower junkie, lol! Sure enough, as I'm reading these short stories, I realized they are all parallels to the Tower. John Dillenger was a gunslinger and had his ka-tet, the story about how repetition is Hell, the autopsy one about being trapped between life and death.....they seem like ordinary horror stories on the surface, but the themes of the Tower are in each one. I absolutely adore Stephen King. He's been my favorite author since I read Carrie when I was 12.

And dejolane, I saw you answered with Ship of Fools in the Song Title game - it seems we have more in common than just books! [emoji]128515[/emoji]
King is my favorite. I have alot of his books. I'm stuck in the 70-80's when it comes to music.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I will say this about Laurell K. Hamilton......I love her Blake series; it's excellent. She is graphic, very graphic, even when it comes to physical relationships. But it really is a wonderful series. I haven't enjoyed the other series she has out as much as the Blake series. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

As for the Potter books, I read them and I own them....they're not just for kids, far from it. They are such good books.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've recently read The Magicians by Lev Grossman and am now well into his next one, The Magician King.

It was a New York Bestseller and I'm reading them as a friend insists they're great, but I'm thinking they're just mediocre.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still waiting on a James Patterson book to come in from the library so now I think I'll reread my Misery book by Stephen King. I love that movie too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12th of Never is a great one
I read it and I don't think it was as good as some of his others.  For one, I'm not really  a lover of children, and it drove me bonkers that the lead character was so fixated on her kid. Practically every page had something about it.

I'm not reading Dan Brown's Inferno.  The funny thing is that as I'm reading, I'm picturing Tom Hanks in the role of the lead character. Tom Hanks doesn't do drama well, and all I can imagine is the bad acting as he tries to play a sedated guy on the run!  LOL

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Dan Brown's Inferno. I'm almost ready to pack it in!  I'm around page 250 of an over 500 page book, and 245 pages of that has been spent reading about Langdon and a doctor running and narrowly escaping police and armies chasing them. They run, they hide, they get cornered and find a way out, and are only 1 step ahead of those chasing them.

You find a bit more about the plot periodically during a lull in their running.

It's irritating and monotonous!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Currently I'm rereading a book I had as a kid and have always wanted to get again; it's now available as an ebook: The Last Plantagenets by Thomas B. Costain.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm currently reading Darwin's lsland:The Galapogos in the Garden of England, by Steve Jones.

And a lady at work lent me a book she thought l'd enjoy, The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, so l'll start that tonight.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And a lady at work lent me a book she thought l'd enjoy, The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, so l'll start that tonight.
I'd be interested in what you think. I've had three friends strongly urge me, more than once, to read that book. I've tried at least five times to read it. I like Barbara Kingsolver, but I have never been able to get past the first fourth of Poisonwood Bible!

I just read a really good book called "Girl In Translation" by Jean Kwok. Very enjoyable. Then another book that was okay, "Cars From a Marriage" by Debra Galant.

The rest of my library books are no good, so I had to turn to old favorite re-reads to carry me over until I can get to the library again. So now I am (re)reading:

The Cat Who Came In From the Cold Deric Longden. Non fiction.

It is laugh out loud funny. I've read it a hundred times and I still laugh out loud. The author writes about how he inadvertently stole his neighbor's kitten, and the adventures from that point on. He has several other books following, about his cats (proving that "one cat just leads to another" as Ernest Hemingway said)

I recommend you read it in the original, British, version. It's better than the "American translation". You know how the British have differing terms than Americans, for some things. When I first read it, I read the original version. Later I wanted to read it again, so I took it out of the library, and it was a different edition, and certain words were changed to "American" terms. It took something away from the story, somehow, so I ended up buying the book so I could read it the way it was meant to be.

Everyone should read it. :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm reading Dan Brown's Inferno. I'm almost ready to pack it in!  I'm around page 250 of an over 500 page book, and 245 pages of that has been spent reading about Langdon and a doctor running and narrowly escaping police and armies chasing them. They run, they hide, they get cornered and find a way out, and are only 1 step ahead of those chasing them.

You find a bit more about the plot periodically during a lull in their running.

It's irritating and monotonous!!!
I'm only on page 100 of this book and getting tired of it!  I commend you for making it to page 245.  

Status
Not open for further replies.