What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read a number of Terry Pratchett in the time before I was introduced to Robert Rankin, then I had to work through his books, he has such a daft sense of humour he's right up my street, I mean, who else would come up with a time travelling sprout, called Barry, that lives in someones ear and takes them through time? And he's just announced Barry will return in his latest book The Abominable Showman out later this year. 

I've not heard of Piers Anthony, I'll do a little research on him. Thanks, I'm 68% through my Tom Holt book on my Kobo so I'll be looking for something new soon.
I just looked on the DVD of e-pub books I was given (7,000 books) and, lo and behold, there are 17 Robert Rankin books on there. Bless you for bringing him to my attention. They are going on both my Nook readers today. And I just looked and have 2 Tom Holt books. I salute you
and give you a big thumbs up
.  I can see a long bubble bath with a glass of Tornado Zin port in the near future.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another author you might want to try is Christopher Moore.  He writes 'vampyre' stories and such.  His most famous book is 'Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff'  They are on my DVD, too.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those of you who do Kindle, good sale on a number of books, some of which are 99 cents.  All genres.Grab them while you can.

I like Hugh Howey, science fiction writer.  He wrote the Wool series--coming to a theater near you soon, seriously and Simon Schuster bought the hard back rights.  One of his books on my price drop list is 99 cents.   

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read some fantasy books, but couldn't get in to them.  Same with horror books, with a few exceptions.  If the author focuses on character of people versus the horror of monsters, I like them.

If I want fantasy, I watch reality tv programming :)

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who don't like horror don't like Stephen King. I love his movies Misery,  Dreamcatcher, Needful Things etc........ I also have some of his movies and lots of his books.

bella wella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if you like Stephen king, Richard Laymon is another great horror author I have read all his books years ago but have recently restarted reading them all im on Funland at the moment

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you like Stephen king, Richard Laymon is another great horror author I have read all his books years ago but have recently restarted reading them all im on Funland at the moment
Thanks I'll give them a try after I finish 12 of Never by James Patterson.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am totally loving "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky!  The main character's decent into madness is so totally involving!
I would like to be able to read it in the original Russian. Loved the book, but I think it lost a bit in translation, as is usual.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am loving the Robert Rankin. I am halfway through the first book. It reads like a combination of Neil Gaiman, Christopher Moore, and Last of the Summer Wine.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dan Brown 's latest book Inferno. About 2/3 through. More disappointing than some ofvhis others but not bad.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To Winchester -Cats Bearing Gifts is good. Love Joe Grey and friends!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still reading Crime and Punishment.  I don't know how many pages long it is because the chapter and page numbers are messed up.  Google says it's 600 plus pages.  But I know for sure I've read way more than that. I think I still have about 25% of the book left to read.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished 12th of Never by James Patterson  It was excellent. Waiting for Mistress to come in to the library next.  Took my grandson to Half Price Books store last Saturday to get the Sookie Stackhouse collection  by Charlaine Harris. He only had enough for 3 of the collection but I 'm going to buy more later.I'm so glad he is reading but homework comes right.They all were in excellent condition.I don't buy any book if it isn't.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Our non-fiction book club just finished Jill Bolte-Taylor's My Stroke of Insight.  I've no idea whether it has been mentioned on this very long thread, but I think it is an absolutely wonderful book.

I'm quoting from it in Yoga class... it's amazingly inspirational and gives true meditation a scientific basis 

I'm sure most will have heard of her, and seen her speak, but just in case, this is her:

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished Crime and Punishment last night. What a great book!  Started on "The Firm" by John Grisham. I've seen the movie, but have never read any of his books, Typically when I start reading an author I've never read before, I read all of the existing books by that person. I see I have some catching up to do! There must be 2 dozen or more books!  lol

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Dan Brown 's latest book Inferno. About 2/3 through. More disappointing than some ofvhis others but not bad.
I just got this book!  Plan on starting it tonight in fact.

I just finished Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard Von Bingen.  Fictionalized story of a 12th century German nun, very fiery woman for her times!  Great read.

mopseys 1st toy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last finished: NOT AS BRIEFED by Maj. Greenfield.  Poorly written, but gripping. You may forget many things in life, but if you forget having survived a manhunt, it`s Al`s heimmer for sure.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the take the laptop to bed so maybe I'll start a book on it tonight. Maybe a Stephen King book.

Status
Not open for further replies.