What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It gets hard to find stuff on ours.  The book for the bookclub that I have on hold had 3 other people ahead of me.  I don't know- I might have to go buy it or something.  I've got Amazon money- I just don't know if I want to spend that much on a book (Ok- I'm cheap
).  But what would you expect when more than 90% of the books I've got on my kindle right now were either free or .99? 

The woman who runs the book club at the library also works there.  Now this I didn't know- but 1 copy of a digital book costs over $100! 

Cheryl
I don't blame you, Cheryl.....I don't buy a lot of ebooks either. And I no longer buy a lot of books period, even at secondhand shops, largely because I simply don't have any room to keep them anymore. (I still check out cookbooks though.)

A lot of my Nook books were free, too; I have well over 100 free books that I haven't even opened yet. I go to the free section at B & N and download anything that might look interesting.

I read somewhere that part of the reason for the long, long list of people waiting for digital library books is not just because of the price of a digital copy (although that's a big problem), but the publishers don't like to sell a large quantity of digital books. After all, the publishers want to make money by selling physical books. Digital copies are cheaper, so they don't make as much money.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got the new James Patterson book Private Berlin from the library. I'm hooked on Stephen King more though.

dejolane

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reading Under the Tuscan Sun.  For the library bookclub.  And I'm cutting it close- the Kindle copy I reserved was just made available to me today, and they meet next Weds. 

We're watching the movie.  I'm not far into it, I don't know if I'll like it or not.  Someone last month said it's kind of like Eat, Pray Love.  I kind of liked that book- I don't know if I finished it or not, I didn't really like the "love" part

Cheryl

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not reading anything now. Waiting for Private London by James Patterson to come in for me at the library.

dejolane

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
On my Nook:

Kiss of Midnight - Lara Adrian

The Red Diary - Toni Blake

The Wolf Gift - Anne Rice

Unspoken - Lisa Jackson

Rough Country - John Sanford

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orca Soundings books are great for a short read or for preteen kids. They are a fast read. I have read all of them and I'm 51 now. 

dejolane

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't get to see the movie yesterday
.  Our hot water heater was leaking all over the garage, and it had to be replaced.  I sat home most of the day (dh came home about 2:30) so that they could replace it with a tankless system. 

The book was ok.  I felt that Under the Tuscan Sun was about this woman who had just WAY too much money/time on her hands.  I don't know of anyone who has the cash to buy a million dollar home in Italy, rehab it AND pay for round-trip plane tickets to Italy every couple of months.  The descriptions of the area and recipies (but I took it out of the library so I couldn't try any) looked good. 

Then I got Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury.  Not impressed with that book either.  I feel kind of bad writing negative stuff about it- it was based on a true story. 

99% of the time, if you have a child with autism (or any kind of disability) the chances are very slim that they're going to have the recovery that this kid did. 

Not to mention the scene in the gym where they have a memorial for the kid who comttitted suicide- just wouldn't happen at my dd's high school.  Nor would it fly to have the kids break out in prayer.  Not in a public high school. 

I liked the fact that she took on bullying and teenage suicide.  She said at the end that the suicide scene was one of the hardest scenes she ever had to write.  And then she wrote about how the teachers and adults involved in this child's life kept saying "What could I have done to see this- what could I have done to help this child"?  And how she wrote about an arts program in a public high school.  We all know that arts are the 1st thing cut when budgets go bad.  But they are SO GOOD for our kids (I have an aspiring music teacher in her 1st year of college).  Both of my girls have been involved in the arts in high school- I think my oldest would have had a very hard time fitting in if she hadn't picked up the violin in 5th grade. 

I'm reading a silly book right now from an indie author on my Kindle.  Looked yesterday online to see if anything interested me- nothing so far.

Cheryl

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving On -Larry McMurtry (a favorite winter re-read)

Waiting for The Death Cure by James Dasher, third book in The Maze Runner series. (on library order)

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently read "A Wrinkle In Time", at Husband's request.  Never read it in high school.  He thought I would connect or see a similarity between myself and the main female character (which I really didn't)...It really isn't my kind of science fiction.  I prefer Anne McCaffery's "Dragonrider of Pern" series. 

I usually don't buy books brand new; will scour secondhand stores and garage sales.  Last summer, I picked up a hardcover copy of Ronald Reagan's autobiography for $1.  Am still trying to finish it; the first half was good, but the White House years are kinda losing me.  But I'm determined to get through it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
still reading World without End.  About 200 pages left. I should finish it this weekend.  Not sure what book I'll read after that. I have several on my reader to pick from.  I'll check out my favourite authors sites first to see if there is anything current from any of them, and if so I'll read those first.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading an Ian Rankin mystery. Love the Edinburgh setting, and recognize lots of the locations.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you a fast or slow reader? How long does it take for you to read a medium size hard back book ?

Me, about 1 week if I keep at it and stay off Facebook lol

dejolane

Status
Not open for further replies.