What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Patricia Cornwell's "Red Mist". I can't say it is one of her better efforts.  It starts off very confusing and rambling and jumping all over the place.  The problem is that this book is part of her pathologist series, and each story has tie ins to the previous ones.  So she is working to tie this book into the previous one, so that those who haven't read the previous one will know what is going on, but she is failing miserably. I read the previous book and I feel I need to go back and read it again before reading Red Mist.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started another Patricia Cornewll book a few days ago;  Bone Bed. It's not bad. Again, rather choppy in it's writing. Kind of all over the place, and way too much attention to detail. Pages and pages and pages to describe something, for example, putting on a scuba suit. And so much repetition with regards to the descriptions, over and over again in different words. I'm finding myself skimming through pages at a time.

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i see quite a few James Patterson readers here. i have a friend who also loves his books. i just haven't read any yet.

I have been stuck on Janet Evanovich..Nora Roberts (i am reading now)..Robyn Carr..Mary Higgins Clark..and one or 2 others.

i am open to reading new authors titles. anyone have a specific book that i could read to get a feel for how good James Patterson books are?

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started another Patricia Cornewll book a few days ago;  Bone Bed. It's not bad. Again, rather choppy in it's writing. Kind of all over the place, and way too much attention to detail. Pages and pages and pages to describe something, for example, putting on a scuba suit. And so much repetition with regards to the descriptions, over and over again in different words. I'm finding myself skimming through pages at a time.

I liked Patricia Cormewell's Scarpetta series.  When she was working out of Richmond VA.  I live an hour and a half from there and it was kind of neat when she'd put in local stuff.

I took out one last year- I can't remember the name of it.    I read half of it- got bored with it and returned it without finishing it.  And I hate doing that

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i see quite a few James Patterson readers here. i have a friend who also loves his books. i just haven't read any yet.

I have been stuck on Janet Evanovich..Nora Roberts (i am reading now)..Robyn Carr..Mary Higgins Clark..and one or 2 others.

i am open to reading new authors titles. anyone have a specific book that i could read to get a feel for how good James Patterson books are?
And now I'm going to whine about Janet Evanovich (I just whined about Patricia Cornwell). 

So over the Stephanie Plum series.  It's just the same old same old.  But if Stephanie chooses one of the 2 love interests- the series is done.  Nobody's going to want to read about a married bounty hunter

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So now that I've just whined about 2 authors- guess I should tell you what I have liked when I've read (and things I'm waiting for). 

The library book club is reading Under the Tuscan Sun.  Well- they're watching the movie and reading the book.  I have no idea if I'm going to make it or not- I got a job interview on Tuesday and I'm kind of crossing my fingers that I get it.  Then I'm going to have to find something that meets when I'm not working (I kind of like book clubs). I'm going to read the book even if I wind up not being able to do the book club meeting- it sounds interesting.

I've read a whole bunch of independant authors on my Kindle.  I get this daily email about free books, and I'm constantly finding something I like. 

Judy Christie's "Green" series is kind of cute.  Christian fiction- about this lady who comes from Dayton OH and  buys a newspaper in this tiny town in Lousiana.  It's quite cute- not really "preachy".  3 of the books I got for free- I think I'm going to buy the other 2 in the series.

Cheryl

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So over the Stephanie Plum series.  It's just the same old same old.  But if Stephanie chooses one of the 2 love interests- the series is done.  Nobody's going to want to read about a married bounty hunter

Cheryl
it's all good. good point there tho.

i actually have not read the series yet. have read a few other of hers and loved em.
So now that I've just whined about 2 authors- guess I should tell you what I have liked when I've read (and things I'm waiting for). 

The library book club is reading Under the Tuscan Sun.  Well- they're watching the movie and reading the book.  I have no idea if I'm going to make it or not- I got a job interview on Tuesday and I'm kind of crossing my fingers that I get it.  Then I'm going to have to find something that meets when I'm not working (I kind of like book clubs). I'm going to read the book even if I wind up not being able to do the book club meeting- it sounds interesting.

I've read a whole bunch of independant authors on my Kindle.  I get this daily email about free books, and I'm constantly finding something I like. 

Judy Christie's "Green" series is kind of cute.  Christian fiction- about this lady who comes from Dayton OH and  buys a newspaper in this tiny town in Lousiana.  It's quite cute- not really "preachy".  3 of the books I got for free- I think I'm going to buy the other 2 in the series.

Cheryl
congrats on the interview. i hope you do very well and get the job.

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any Stephen King fans out there? Misery,Needful Things ,Thinner,Storm of the Century are just some of my favorites.

dejolane

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any Stephen King fans out there? Misery,Needful Things ,Thinner,Storm of the Century are just some of my favorites.

dejolane
I love Stephen King. I've read most of his books - there are a couple I've missed, but I can always get to them, I figure. I just finished reading 11/22/63. Awesome book. As he's gotten older, his writing's gotten even more thought-provoking. He used to just scare me - alot. Now, I keep thinking about his books for a long time after I read them.

Right now I'm reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I loved Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End. This one is the first in a trilogy. So far, it's pretty good.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have alot of Stephen Kings books I love the hard back ones best. I do have paper back too but I would never think to see them in a million years. If / when I die, I told my grandkids to go ahead and sell them.

My husband doesn't read SK and is not interested in them.

dejolane

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

dejolane
I used to be a huge fan of his. But then he got into all of that Dark Tower stuff and it was just awful IMHO.  So I gave up on him. I did pick up one of his novels every once in a while after that to try reading, but I just couldn't get into them and never bothered finishing them. I haven't read a Stephen King novel in decades now.  Some have told me that his writing had sucked for a long time, but it's gotten better again.  But I don't have confidence so I haven't bothered to try picking up a book of his again.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I loved Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End. This one is the first in a trilogy. So far, it's pretty good.
I've got those in my eReader as well.  I haven't read them yet though.  They are on my short list to read and I will likely start Pillars of the Earth after I'm finished the Patricia Cornwell book I'm reading.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a huge fan of his. But then he got into all of that Dark Tower stuff and it was just awful IMHO.  So I gave up on him. I did pick up one of his novels every once in a while after that to try reading, but I just couldn't get into them and never bothered finishing them. I haven't read a Stephen King novel in decades now.  Some have told me that his writing had sucked for a long time, but it's gotten better again.  But I don't have confidence so I haven't bothered to try picking up a book of his again.
I read the Dark Tower stuff until, I think, the 4th book, where he really lost me, so I sort of gave up on him myself. But then I picked up Under The Dome and really liked it, and ended up loving 11/22/63.

I've got those in my eReader as well.  I haven't read them yet though.  They are on my short list to read and I will likely start Pillars of the Earth after I'm finished the Patricia Cornwell book I'm reading.
I'm hoping I love Fall of Giants as much as Pillars.... and World.... I'm a big medieval history fan, so I really got into the building of that cathedral.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

Also the Anne of Green Gables series. I started it while I was waiting for The Maze Runner to come in, but still reading Anne for light relief late at night. The other book is a bit..intense and overstimulating for bedtime reading. Currently up to Anne of Ingleside, with those.

Anne of Green Gables etc. is a favorite winter re-read of mine. :)

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to buy a few more SK books to catch up. I like hard back books better.

dejolane

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

You need to check this link out: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238891/literature-map-a-good-way-to-find-new-and-old-favorite-authors   You put in the name of your favorite author, then the map gives you the names of authors who write similarly to that person. The closer the name is, the more similar the writing.

I have found tons of new-to-me authors and even some old favorite authors from that map.....it's quite interesting.

As for King, he has been my favorite author for years now, starting out with Carrie. I have all of his books. The Dark Tower made me spastic, though, and, at the end, had I not finished the book in the winter, I would have thrown the thing (and all of his other DT books) into the pool, I was that angry. I have often thought that he has started to take the easy out with some of his novels.....I remember thinking that after reading The Cell, too. Loved Under the Dome, though, and I think 11-22-63 was really good.

I agree about Janet Evanovich. I'm so tired of the Stephanie Plum series, I could cringe when I hear about a new novel now. That whole crap stuff between Joe and Ranger is really getting old. I had all of her books in hard back, but when Eighteen came out, I bought it for my Nook. And regretted spending the money. Nineteen? I rented as a digital edition from the library. If and when Twenty comes out, I won't even bother renting it. It's just not worth it anymore. Same old, same old.

While I've enjoyed Kathy Reichs and the Bones series, I agree about her, too. Too much going on at one time and the writing is suffering. And, to a certain extent, I think that's getting true of James Patterson. When you put that many books out or do too much, something suffers. 

I still enjoy Clive Cussler very much. He's pretty much done with the Dirk Pitt series, although I think he either just recently put out a new Pitt or he's thinking about it. I have a ton of his books, both in hard back and on my Nook. I like his Oregon series a lot.

On my Nook:

Dead Asleep: Jamie Freveletti

Devil in a Kilt - Sue Ellen Welfonder (good for when I'm tired of killings and murder)

The Lake of Dreams - Kim Edwards

The Sum of Her Parts - Alan Dean Foster (I really like ADF, loved his Spellsinger series, what a hoot it is, even though it's really for kids)

The bad thing about the Nook (and the Kindle, too, of course) is that you can only take out 5 digital books at a time from a library. And you can only have 5 books on Hold at a time, too. Lately, with so many people having digital readers, it's gotten more difficult to find the library books that I really want. I always have five titles on Hold. While I wait for the titles I really want, I'll grab whatever is available. I do read pretty much anything I can get my hands on, so finding a title isn't that difficult.....finding what I want can be. Still, it's nice at 10:00 on a Thursday night (when the library is closed) to be able to search through the list and find something to read when I can't sleep.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
<<The bad thing about the Nook (and the Kindle, too, of course) is that you can only take out 5 digital books at a time from a library. And you can only have 5 books on Hold at a time, too. Lately, with so many people having digital readers, it's gotten more difficult to find the library books that I really want. I always have five titles on Hold. While I wait for the titles I really want, I'll grab whatever is available. I do read pretty much anything I can get my hands on, so finding a title isn't that difficult.....finding what I want can be. Still, it's nice at 10:00 on a Thursday night (when the library is closed) to be able to search through the list and find something to read when I can't sleep.>>

Our library only allows 3 digital books at a time
  And I think there's a limit of how many on hold too. 

It gets hard to find stuff on ours.  The book for the bookclub that I have on hold had 3 other people ahead of me.  I don't know- I might have to go buy it or something.  I've got Amazon money- I just don't know if I want to spend that much on a book (Ok- I'm cheap
).  But what would you expect when more than 90% of the books I've got on my kindle right now were either free or .99? 

The woman who runs the book club at the library also works there.  Now this I didn't know- but 1 copy of a digital book costs over $100! 

Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.