Trying to Tame 2 Feral 2 month old kittens

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
They are absolutely adorable! Always remember too, that hisses, growls even swats from yoru older cat are absolutely normal. Make sure she has a high place to escape to. since the kittens are so young, your older cat will be overwhelmed at first, but she will love disciplining them and putting them in their place!
Lol- especially with TWO babies!I have a feeling her female instincts will kick in and Nugget will be a great teacher for these darling little characters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol- especially with TWO babies!I have a feeling her female instincts will kick in and Nugget will be a great teacher for these darling little characters
I guess another question I have, is when I took the kittens to the vet they were tested for Feline Leukemia
They were both negative, but my vet said I should have Nugget tested.

But Nugget is around 8 and from what I've read about, feline leukemia doesn't show signs or cause deaths until they're around 2-3 years old, which Nugget obviously isn't.

I may have stated before ( I'm not sure, getting close to the three week mark of this long question/thread/forum, lol ) that my cat has always been an only cat, besides living with a Shitzu for a couple years, but other than that a strictly inside cat. As well as not interacting with cats, at least not up until I got her, which she was around 6 months I think then.

Is it worth it to have her tested? I've never heard of it before and her old vet, I've recently moved, gave her other shots but never spoke of this one or the disease itself.

Is this a genuine concern, she's very healthy besides being kinda chonky, and has always been sweet with no medical issues or abnormalities about her.

Because right now these are the steps I need to follow:
1. Get Nugget tested
2. Get the supplies needed for scratching/beds/kitten-proofing my home
3. Introduce them to scents then gradually introduce them to the house and Nugget

Their personalities are showing and even walking out of the cage and rubbing against/purring/head butting, so we really want to start the process and have them more integrated into our little family ( me, my boyfriend, and Nugget ).

I continue to appreciate the tips and advice from being here, it's so cool that I've found a place so helpful and welcoming!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,the percentage thst an indoor single cat household will get feline leukemia is about 3%- if Nugget has never been tested I would even though the risk factor is do low,that vaccine and distemper also can be beneficial in the event of upper respiratory illness.....it certainly doesn't hurt .I know it's difficult to try to budget and often times we have to pick and choose by order of priority- but with bringing the 2 babies in now ahd since they tested negative you should have this conversation with your new Vet and explain you cannot afford everything under the sun at this time- I'm sure the Vet will be happy to find a plan to meet your budget and provide all your cats with what is most important first and tell you what can wait.....

When it was just my Cheech(rip) and I he got the vaccines accordingly becsuse he went everywhere with me- at the barn he could have been exposed to who knows what with the barn cats running around- after I retired I no longer vaccinated him

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well,the percentage thst an indoor single cat household will get feline leukemia is about 3%- if Nugget has never been tested I would even though the risk factor is do low,that vaccine and distemper also can be beneficial in the event of upper respiratory illness.....it certainly doesn't hurt .I know it's difficult to try to budget and often times we have to pick and choose by order of priority- but with bringing the 2 babies in now ahd since they tested negative you should have this conversation with your new Vet and explain you cannot afford everything under the sun at this time- I'm sure the Vet will be happy to find a plan to meet your budget and provide all your cats with what is most important first and tell you what can wait.....

When it was just my Cheech(rip) and I he got the vaccines accordingly becsuse he went everywhere with me- at the barn he could have been exposed to who knows what with the barn cats running around- after I retired I no longer vaccinated him
It's not necessarily the money part, it just seems incredibly unlikely for her at this age especially.

The kittens are also getting ready to be out and since they're more tame, I feel comfortable letting them out of the cage, and don't want to keep them in it any longer than I already have.

I think the test is affordable because we asked last time, we'd just also have to get a carrier for her ( she ruined the soft one I used last time ) so I guess kind of money as well, the test itself isn't expensive but added with a carrier it will be, for our holiday budget.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy so many pet products on Walmart.com it's incredible the things I buy on there for so much less than the Pet stores and online Pet Supply places .... There's carriers for even less than this one but since you mentioned " soft carrier" ,take a look
Cat Carrier, Cat Carriers for Large Cats up to 25LB, large Cat Carrier with a Bowl, Soft Sided Carrier with 2 Side Roller Blinds for Cat Kitten Small Dog Puppies Airline Approved, Gray - Walmart.com
Thank you!!
Payday was today so tomorrow we'll be getting the things we need!
Another update, Jinx is a LOVE BUG, while I was sitting down spending time with them, he came up to my eye level and headbutted my nose and face multiple times.

Is it normal for one kitten to hog all the attention? When petting Jinx if we try and pet Shrimp he will RUN to her, almost like he wants the attention or protecting her. I couldn't find anything about kitten behavior, so any input would help!
We dont want Shrimp to get any less attention than him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!
Payday was today so tomorrow we'll be getting the things we need!
Another update, Jinx is a LOVE BUG, while I was sitting down spending time with them, he came up to my eye level and headbutted my nose and face multiple times.

Is it normal for one kitten to hog all the attention? When petting Jinx if we try and pet Shrimp he will RUN to her, almost like he wants the attention or protecting her. I couldn't find anything about kitten behavior, so any input would help!
We dont want Shrimp to get any less attention than him.
Very normal -some kittens just can't get enough hooman lovin n attention- just be sure to give lil Shrimp her pets too,my little Bella can get competitive for my affection when I'm petting the others,I just put her on my lap while I'm petting someone when she's trying to steal their pets- or she's getting the left hand pet and someone else the right .....Jinx is claiming you as " his" ..... He'll discover there's enough to go around for everyone

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very normal -some kittens just can't get enough hooman lovin n attention- just be sure to give lil Shrimp her pets too,my little Bella can get competitive for my affection when I'm petting the others,I just put her on my lap while I'm petting someone when she's trying to steal their pets- or she's getting the left hand pet and someone else the right .....Jinx is claiming you as " his" ..... He'll discover there's enough to go around for everyone
He keeps doing it over and over again, he seems kinda particularly obsessed with my face when he does it.

I did not think in 3 weeks this would be where we would be in terms of progress!

He still isn't letting me pet Shrimp, he will physically block me or run in front of her when I try to, it's just so interesting to watch.

He has headbutted my boyfriend before but he's obsessed with my face for some reason.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He keeps doing it over and over again, he seems kinda particularly obsessed with my face when he does it.

I did not think in 3 weeks this would be where we would be in terms of progress!

He still isn't letting me pet Shrimp, he will physically block me or run in front of her when I try to, it's just so interesting to watch.

He has headbutted my boyfriend before but he's obsessed with my face for some reason.
That's great- my Bella was obsessed with my face as a kitten -very interested in getting attention,she still hops up and " pets" me on my face and head exactly as I do to her and if I'm not looking her way she either taps me on the shoulder or gently pats my cheek --- she presses her little cat lips on mine until I make the "muah" sound-----Jinx will probably be like that,wants your full attention and it's his way of saying so- so cute

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great- my Bella was obsessed with my face as a kitten -very interested in getting attention,she still hops up and " pets" me on my face and head exactly as I do to her and if I'm not looking her way she either taps me on the shoulder or gently pats my cheek --- she presses her little cat lips on mine until I make the "muah" sound-----Jinx will probably be like that,wants your full attention and it's his way of saying so- so cute
Merry Christmas Eve!

Today we are going to be letting the kitty's in the house! Little bit of an update, Nugget saw the kitty's at eye level once in their room and she hissed a lot and was not happy, so I'm not sure how it will go today regarding her.

But both of the kitty's now are ready, and friendly enough to be introduced to the house.

I just don't know what to do about Nugget, she warmed up to a dog before so hopefully she will to two kittens.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Today we are going to be letting the kitty's in the house! Little bit of an update, Nugget saw the kitty's at eye level once in their room and she hissed a lot and was not happy, so I'm not sure how it will go today regarding her.

But both of the kitty's now are ready, and friendly enough to be introduced to the house.

I just don't know what to do about Nugget, she warmed up to a dog before so hopefully she will to two kittens.
Here are some articles for you to read :-

Introducing Cats To Cats: The Expert's Guide To A Smooth Transition - TheCatSite

How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight - Effective Techniques - TheCatSite

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? [Answered] - TheCatSite

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Merry Christmas Eve!

[/nothing!
Have a very Merry Christmas!

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, my boyfriend was impatient and let them in the kitchen.

Nugget has been growling and hissing at them, not acting normal at all and making little chirps/squeaks at us instead of her normal meow.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, my boyfriend was impatient and let them in the kitchen.

Nugget has been growling and hissing at them, not acting normal at all and making little chirps/squeaks at us instead of her normal meow.
Just observe their interactions. As long as they don’t break into a fight, I think it should be pretty safe.

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just observe their interactions. As long as they don’t break into a fight, I think it should be pretty safe.
Jinx pooped and peed in our Christmas tree skirt... I don't understand because they know where the litter box is

If this is a common occurrence I don't think we will be keeping them.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Jinx pooped and peed in our Christmas tree skirt... I don't understand because they know where the litter box is

This is sad but these are the mishaps that often occur in a multi cat household( especially with babies) that are exploring too much,too fast....

I will say this,if this accident has you considering giving them up then it's really not fair to keep them longer when they are little babies that can easily adapt to a new forever home- I'm not trying to sound mean but if you're unwilling to go the distance with the kitties then wouldn't it be in their best interest interest to give them the chance to be adopted while they are both at that very adoptable age?

Yes,litter box avoidance is ( for me anyway) the worst of the worst and it is my number one thing to get right( litter training) as I have worked mainly with transitioning ferals, behavioral issues and introduction problems throughout the years.... part of containment in smaller areas results in a reliable litter box user,there's another cat(Nugget) in the rest of the house- they are exploring " new territory" that belongs to someone else- marking is something that can happen but the idea is to prevent it,not let it happen and then try to correct it..... does that make sense to you

I'm not here to convince you to keep the babies if you are not fully committed to them,it's up to you but I csn assure you that it does not have to be a common occurrence when the proper steps are taken to introduce new kitties into a new environment and to resident cats.....

Yes,they know where " their " litter box is but it's not in the unfamiliar part of the house where the tree is --- you see? I always suggest a box for each cat plus one- 3 cats=4 boxes ( it's the standard) This does not mean each cat will be assigned to a box,it means there are options and they CAN have their own or go to one less used ( options,cats need options or they'll choose for themselves if there's no other options provided )

Well,I can go on n on n on but it's best you know what you want to do,are they in their furrever home( no matter what) or not- if do there are easy steps to take to ensure there'll be no litter box avoidances.... unless of course there are underlying health conditions,then thsts a different ball game

I'm here to discuss anything with you so just know you can share your honest feelings- I think what's best for YOU is just as inportant as whats best for the kitties❤

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Accidents happens and could be stressed too. It could be just a one off thing. Please don't give up on them.

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is sad but these are the mishaps that often occur in a multi cat household( especially with babies) that are exploring too much,too fast....

I will say this,if this accident has you considering giving them up then it's really not fair to keep them longer when they are little babies that can easily adapt to a new forever home- I'm not trying to sound mean but if you're unwilling to go the distance with the kitties then wouldn't it be in their best interest interest to give them the chance to be adopted while they are both at that very adoptable age?

Yes,litter box avoidance is ( for me anyway) the worst of the worst and it is my number one thing to get right( litter training) as I have worked mainly with transitioning ferals, behavioral issues and introduction problems throughout the years.... part of containment in smaller areas results in a reliable litter box user,there's another cat(Nugget) in the rest of the house- they are exploring " new territory" that belongs to someone else- marking is something that can happen but the idea is to prevent it,not let it happen and then try to correct it..... does that make sense to you

I'm not here to convince you to keep the babies if you are not fully committed to them,it's up to you but I csn assure you that it does not have to be a common occurrence when the proper steps are taken to introduce new kitties into a new environment and to resident cats.....

Yes,they know where " their " litter box is but it's not in the unfamiliar part of the house where the tree is --- you see? I always suggest a box for each cat plus one- 3 cats=4 boxes ( it's the standard) This does not mean each cat will be assigned to a box,it means there are options and they CAN have their own or go to one less used ( options,cats need options or they'll choose for themselves if there's no other options provided )

Well,I can go on n on n on but it's best you know what you want to do,are they in their furrever home( no matter what) or not- if do there are easy steps to take to ensure there'll be no litter box avoidances.... unless of course there are underlying health conditions,then thsts a different ball game

I'm here to discuss anything with you so just know you can share your honest feelings- I think what's best for YOU is just as inportant as whats best for the kitties❤
We got them another litterbox, and I'm not a dog person for this very reason. I don't like dealing with messes, and never thought this would happen, especially with a cat.
If it continues to occur I don't think I can handle it.
If I wanted messed in my home I would have a dog.

I have BPD so my initial reactions can be extreme. My boyfriend doesn't want to get rid of them, and was never an intention to rehome them. We tried to keep them in the kitchen to a small area and they hopped the fence and came into the living room.

They now keep staying under the couch, coming out to play with toys and run around, but are very skiddish.

So there's not much I can do from keeping them from exploring the house.

It's incredibly frustrating to be guilt tripped for having them in a cage while they were feral, then when they seemed ready I am now criticized for letting them explore too much.

Nugget being as upset as she is and growling and hissing all of the time is not anything I'm used to at all. She's a very sweet cat, and has been my spoiled baby. She lived with a dog before but I don't know if she can handle these two kittens, I don't want her stressed out.

If anything I'm incredibly frustrated, having spent all of this time and money on them for all of these things to happen. I've been incredibly patient throughout this whole process as well.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We got them another litterbox, and I'm not a dog person for this very reason. I don't like dealing with messes, and never thought this would happen, especially with a cat.
If it continues to occur I don't think I can handle it.
If I wanted messed in my home I would have a dog.

I have BPD so my initial reactions can be extreme. My boyfriend doesn't want to get rid of them, and was never an intention to rehome them. We tried to keep them in the kitchen to a small area and they hopped the fence and came into the living room.

They now keep staying under the couch, coming out to play with toys and run around, but are very skiddish.

So there's not much I can do from keeping them from exploring the house.

It's incredibly frustrating to be guilt tripped for having them in a cage while they were feral, then when they seemed ready I am now criticized for letting them explore too much.

Nugget being as upset as she is and growling and hissing all of the time is not anything I'm used to at all. She's a very sweet cat, and has been my spoiled baby. She lived with a dog before but I don't know if she can handle these two kittens, I don't want her stressed out.

If anything I'm incredibly frustrated, having spent all of this time and money on them for all of these things to happen. I've been incredibly patient throughout this whole process as well.
Believe me,I do understand and you are not being criticized at all - ferals are very hard to train to be reliable litter box users- from the very start I told you I saw nothing wrong with cage containment to start and have tried to support you in your efforts and with what you have-hey I had to have a cage built to contain my 7yr old feral when transitioning him to indoors- for me the litter box is my first priority,I'm exactly like you are about " messes " in the house - it could be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't fix it..... but this is my profession so I don't care what anyone says..... if they look down on cage containment then that's their problem,isn't it.....not everyone has the luxury of a 4 bedroom house with easy to separate partitions etc.... certainly not me in a not so big Condo with 5 cats!!!

If this is a deal breaker for you then no one is going to judge you for doing what you think is best for you- plus you've got TWO babies which is a bit more challenging than just one.... so please,don't feel like your being criticized ,especially from me- thsts not how I roll- you are going to have challenges along the way,this is not a very difficult one to address but it does require patients and backing up a bit....

It can all work out ,really it can and once they are familiar with your other litter boxes you shouldn't have "messes" but if an accident happens while they are learning it's something you'll have to understand WHY it has happened and how to prevent it.....I'd love for you to keep these babies but not if it's something that going to cause you stress,anxiety and risk your well being

Think about it and think about your mental health too,I think thsts most important

How about stacking 2baby gates or the pet screens that block off entranceway ( they're only like $15 bucks) they are like 32 inches high I think,you could do one over the other and they cat jump it plus so easy to unhook one side for you to go in n out--,- do you want me to show you a link?

I'm just trying to help you so just let me know,okay?I'm here for ya

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following your adventures with the two new kitties and want to thank you for taking such good care of them. I totally understand about the stress of litter box problems! I also have three cats now and thank my lucky stars that we no longer have these issues. I don't remember if the type of litter you are using was mentioned, but I have found that Cat Attract litter (by Dr. Elsey) to be great and just seems to draw the cats in to use it. It is expensive but worth it! You can also try mixing it with another litter. I just noticed when I searched Chewy that there are a few other litters that are called "attractants" so maybe one of those would work, too.

You have given these kitties a wonderful start to their lives and if finding another forever home for them is best for them and, most importantly, best for you, that is what should happen. I adopted a sweet male cat many years ago when I already had two female cats and it took about a month to realize that it just wasn't going to work out, in spite of all my efforts. I was able to find a wonderful home for this boy and my two girls came out of hiding and went back to their usual playful selves!