Trying to Tame 2 Feral 2 month old kittens

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me and my boyfriend have caught these two feral kittens and have been trying to socialize them. We've taken them to the vet and gotten them their shots and tested for feline leukemia, which was negative.

We keep getting mixed signals from them sniffing us to very soft hisses, being relaxed and playing with toys to being seemingly terrified. It's only been a week but this is my first time doing this and need all the advice I can get.

I have been feeding them daily and spending time with them. Sometimes they meow/cry after I leave the room but not sure what that means. We have a camera in their room and they sometimes stare at the door after we've left and meow then too.

So many mixed signals I'm so lost.
Snapchat-1297509056.jpg
Jinx ( boy ) with white on his fur and Shrimp ( girl ) all grey.

Attachments

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they are adorable. can you give them more of a room somewhere. take the legs off the bed maybe so they can't get under it and anything really low like that and let them out. they need places to hide like a kitty cave.. a cage is pretty exposed. they might not feel like they can be safe anywhere. try using a back scratcher or a long piece of cardboard with bend in the shape of a back scratcher to pet them and play with them. if you are getting on and off good and bad after a week or two that's really good. keep spending lots of time with them.. but keeping them in a cage for extended periods of time is very very bad for kittens[cats}. they need exercise all the time even when you aren't there. they need to be able to run and play and hide to feel safe as needed. you guys are doing good for rescuing them.. but it hurts my heart to see cats in cages in homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason they are still in the cage is because I have another cat who is 8 and the vet said that she has to get vaccinated for the feline leukemia before she can be introduced, so we can't really let them loose in that room or any room for now. Shrimp escaped once and we had to take apart our couch to get to her. What I've read is to keep them in a cage until they're better socialized. Taking the feet off the bed isn't an option as we just bought our house and still moving things ( the room they are in will have more things in it eventually ). We can't take my other cat to the vet due to his work schedule until next week or try and catch a slot on Saturday. But I don't think my older cat has feline leukemia as she's never been around other cats before or shown any signs out of the ordinary.

When we trapped them we had to buy the cheapest cage from savings due to financial reasons so we intentionally wanted a bigger cage. But I live in Southern Illinois and it's been freezing so we wanted to get them ASAP.

Other than the cage situation I will continue to try and work with them and spend more time in their room with them. I have noticed the longer I've stayed with them the more relaxed they have become. It's taken Shrimp a longer time to get comfortable than Jinx.

I had a good day with them but when we went to tell them goodnight and spend some time they both hissed when I just opened the door which was odd since today they're body language was completely different. The mixed signals is stressing me out because it's so confusing.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Me and my boyfriend have caught these two feral kittens and have been trying to socialize them. We've taken them to the vet and gotten them their shots and tested for feline leukemia, which was negative.

We keep getting mixed signals from them sniffing us to very soft hisses, being relaxed and playing with toys to being seemingly terrified. It's only been a week but this is my first time doing this and need all the advice I can get.

I have been feeding them daily and spending time with them. Sometimes they meow/cry after I leave the room but not sure what that means. We have a camera in their room and they sometimes stare at the door after we've left and meow then too.

So many mixed signals I'm so lost.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking ins these two lovely kitties and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home! :clapcat:
4ADBB236-6DD3-4F12-8494-797FAC3E3C2B$L0$001~photo.JPG

Lovely pair of kittens you've got here! :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Kittens are more easily socialize than adult cats. It is normal for them to hiss and meow at this moment as they have just been taken in from the outside and environment inside is strange looking to them. It'll take awhile for them to settle down and to feel more at home when the sights and sounds gets more familiar to them.

Leave some of your clean unwashed non-perfumed garments with them. At this time, they need to get familiarized with your scents. This will help them calm down and also easily recognize you.

Play some relaxing cat music to them when they are alone in the room. Spend more time with them, speaking softly and lovingly to them and try to encourage them to play with a cat wand and also reward them with treats. The more time you spend with them, the faster they get accustomed to you. Also get them to realize food comes from you. Fill up their dish in front of them and sit and watch them eat.

Just make sure that they gain more and more trust in you each passing day. Do not betray their trust. Don't worry about the mixed signals, it's normal. Just give them time. Patience, love and routine rules the day.

Please keep us posted of the progress.

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, I definitely will put something with them when I change their litter box soon. I've been the main person feeding them while my boyfriend is at work.

I know it's silly since we've only had them for a week but I have just been perplexed from their mixed reactions as already stated. The reassurance helps a lot, especially coming from a place where everyone has had first hand experience with this.

Will definitely be keeping this thread updated as this is just the beginning and would also like for my experiences to be helpful for others while still gaining feedback over time. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. <3

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you so much, I definitely will put something with them when I change their litter box soon. I've been the main person feeding them while my boyfriend is at work.

I know it's silly since we've only had them for a week but I have just been perplexed from their mixed reactions as already stated. The reassurance helps a lot, especially coming from a place where everyone has had first hand experience with this.

Will definitely be keeping this thread updated as this is just the beginning and would also like for my experiences to be helpful for others while still gaining feedback over time. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. <3
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Don't be perplexed or worried. Cats can sense your emotions. The more calm you are, the easier for you to win them over.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS - very nice to meet you
Well I can tell you that you won't get any mixed signals from any of us- we are here to support,encourage and offer any suggestions & advice you ask for .. we are all grateful to know 2 more little darlings have been given a FUREVER home with lots of love❤

You're doing great! Quarantining is a MUST,you keep following your Vets instruction and you will provide a happy healthy life for ALL your kitties!The cage is fine for starters,if the cage is in a separate room from your older cat then you can certainly let them out so they can play and investigate ' their ' room- if you don't have a room for them to be separated from your resident then perhaps you might want to keep them in your bedroom as their ' safe room"?

There's nothing wrong with a cage or a crate ' at first' but cats need a territory bigger than 3 or 4 feet to run,play,hide,explore and expel all that energy for good health & well being- especially two babies!

Since you've never had experience with unsocialized kittens I will assure you there's going to be plenty of " mixed signals" only because they are confused,scared and have not yet established your home as their familiar territory - we humans & even canines are content & comfortable with familiar " people"- anywhere ' together' is just fine--- this is not do with felines,until they are comfortable in their environment they are not confident and comfortable - so don't take it personal, priority at this time in their early life it's most important they feel SAFE in their environment

I do hope that helps to make you feel better & very encouraged - we are here to help,ask all the questions you like and we are more than happy to guide you along in the process..... btw,they are gorgeous,are they doing well with their litter box? Are you feeding them outside of the cage? While they are eating is the best time to pet and begin touch- I always tap my finger on the food dish & say " Come or Food or Eat" so they get used to my hands by the dish and associate the voice ' command'- it's a start then you gradually leave your hand there and begin behind the ear grazing with the back of your hand....

Kittens are easy- they are quite young so there's a few things they could have learned had they been with Momma a bit longer which also adds to their confusion - nothing that will not quickly pass with their new Mommas help .... They will feel much more secure with a cubby or den to feel less vulnerable to anything they perceived to be a threat( the door opening,a hand or body movement - they just don't know what you are yet) they will learn- it's gonna be fine

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reason they are still in the cage is because I have another cat who is 8 and the vet said that she has to get vaccinated for the feline leukemia before she can be introduced, so we can't really let them loose in that room or any room for now. Shrimp escaped once and we had to take apart our couch to get to her. What I've read is to keep them in a cage until they're better socialized. Taking the feet off the bed isn't an option as we just bought our house and still moving things ( the room they are in will have more things in it eventually ). We can't take my other cat to the vet due to his work schedule until next week or try and catch a slot on Saturday. But I don't think my older cat has feline leukemia as she's never been around other cats before or shown any signs out of the ordinary.

When we trapped them we had to buy the cheapest cage from savings due to financial reasons so we intentionally wanted a bigger cage. But I live in Southern Illinois and it's been freezing so we wanted to get them ASAP.

Other than the cage situation I will continue to try and work with them and spend more time in their room with them. I have noticed the longer I've stayed with them the more relaxed they have become. It's taken Shrimp a longer time to get comfortable than Jinx.

I had a good day with them but when we went to tell them goodnight and spend some time they both hissed when I just opened the door which was odd since today they're body language was completely different. The mixed signals is stressing me out because it's so confusing.
well its really good to have brought them in. it was def good of you. and they have total lil angel faces! if you can give them an area to retreat to it might help tho. like a wool cave cat bed and get them out of hte cage so they can spend more time with the family the faster the process will go. being caged is going to be very stressful for them in such a small space. kittens are full of energy and they can't expend any of it. I wouldn't worry about the mixed signals. I think it's going great from what you said.

do you mean tested for felv or the vaccine? is she an indoor only cat? i can understand getting tested just to be sure (and if she's indoors only and been tested before personally I probably wouldn't be worried about it) but the vaccine if everyone is negative seems like over kill to me. i'd personally push back. see if they have purevax if you do get her vaccinated. it is non ajudvated (spelled wrong) which means it doesn't have the additives that are far more likely to cause a cancer at the injection site. (but as far as medical advice like this i'm just like your nosy neighbor not a voice of authority lol)

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I can tell you that you won't get any mixed signals from any of us- we are here to support,encourage and offer any suggestions & advice you ask for .. we are all grateful to know 2 more little darlings have been given a FUREVER home with lots of love❤

You're doing great! Quarantining is a MUST,you keep following your Vets instruction and you will provide a happy healthy life for ALL your kitties!The cage is fine for starters,if the cage is in a separate room from your older cat then you can certainly let them out so they can play and investigate ' their ' room- if you don't have a room for them to be separated from your resident then perhaps you might want to keep them in your bedroom as their ' safe room"?

There's nothing wrong with a cage or a crate ' at first' but cats need a territory bigger than 3 or 4 feet to run,play,hide,explore and expel all that energy for good health & well being- especially two babies!

Since you've never had experience with unsocialized kittens I will assure you there's going to be plenty of " mixed signals" only because they are confused,scared and have not yet established your home as their familiar territory - we humans & even canines are content & comfortable with familiar " people"- anywhere ' together' is just fine--- this is not do with felines,until they are comfortable in their environment they are not confident and comfortable - so don't take it personal, priority at this time in their early life it's most important they feel SAFE in their environment

I do hope that helps to make you feel better & very encouraged - we are here to help,ask all the questions you like and we are more than happy to guide you along in the process..... btw,they are gorgeous,are they doing well with their litter box? Are you feeding them outside of the cage? While they are eating is the best time to pet and begin touch- I always tap my finger on the food dish & say " Come or Food or Eat" so they get used to my hands by the dish and associate the voice ' command'- it's a start then you gradually leave your hand there and begin behind the ear grazing with the back of your hand....

Kittens are easy- they are quite young so there's a few things they could have learned had they been with Momma a bit longer which also adds to their confusion - nothing that will not quickly pass with their new Mommas help .... They will feel much more secure with a cubby or den to feel less vulnerable to anything they perceived to be a threat( the door opening,a hand or body movement - they just don't know what you are yet) they will learn- it's gonna be fine

the older cat will also be able to teach them a lot of things they missed from momma.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
well its really good to have brought them in. it was def good of you. and they have total lil angel faces! if you can give them an area to retreat to it might help tho. like a wool cave cat bed and get them out of hte cage so they can spend more time with the family the faster the process will go. being caged is going to be very stressful for them in such a small space. kittens are full of energy and they can't expend any of it. I wouldn't worry about the mixed signals. I think it's going great from what you said.

do you mean tested for felv or the vaccine? is she an indoor only cat? i can understand getting tested just to be sure (and if she's indoors only and been tested before personally I probably wouldn't be worried about it) but the vaccine if everyone is negative seems like over kill to me. i'd personally push back. see if they have purevax if you do get her vaccinated. it is non ajudvated (spelled wrong) which means it doesn't have the additives that are far more likely to cause a cancer at the injection site. (but as far as medical advice like this i'm just like your nosy neighbor not a voice of authority lol)
Hey " Nosey neighbor" lol
Good advice!

Let's see if our new friend has a way for better accomodations - I'd like to have a better idea of how the house is laid out for proper introductions to resident kitty- then all us nosey neighbors can put in our 2 cents!!!! :flail:

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We've been able to pet them actually! They don't swat or do anything particularly aggressive.

I just don't know about letting them loose as there's three bookshelves that are on carpet so aren't as stable or if they start to scratch what is in there.

My older cat is declawed, ( which was done behind my back! When I got my older cat I was only 15/16, was furious and will NOT be doing so to my kittens ) so we need to get scratching posts and more for them. So I was wanting to teach them to use those and worried about them bolting out of the room as our house is pretty big.

3 bedroom, 2 bath, with a large kitchen, living room, and hallway. It's big with lots of boxes still that need to be unpacked and lots of places for them to hide. I'm not wanting to keep them in the cage forever by any means, my older cat is starting to get curious.

But we will try and get a bed or maybe bigger cage ( all temporary! ) to help accommodate. I've tried to soclize with them but know that time is truly my biggest aid and ally in letting them get to trust me. I think if they were free they'd hide under the bed in their room or closet and I wouldn't be able to socialize.

They've been slowly starting to play with the toys in front of me so I assume that's a good sign, and no longer loafing the whole time I'm with them.

The door to their room is squeaky so maybe that's why they both hissed last night, that it just scared them?

Will continue to update daily as I am a stay at home cat mom lol.

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

No, for feline leukemia. The vet scared me saying if my older cat ( her name is Nugget ) has it she could spread it to the kittens. But as I've said before she's been a strictly inside cat her whole life and only lived with another animal ( my stepdads shitzu ) for a year or so before I moved out with her.

She had her FeLv vaccine a year ago and updated rabies before I flew with her to move states.

I agree its overkill and will most likely just have her tested, and if it's negative I feel it's necessary to give her an unwarranted shot. Plus what I've read about feline leukemia is it normally shows signs around 2.5—3 years old not 8. And that 1% of domestic house cats have it.

Plus before we took them to the vet we would pet them after petting Nugget, but washed our hands and continue to after interacting with the kittens. So they have kinda be "exposed" to her in a way ?? But not really.

This was also the first time going to this vet as I have mentioned we just bought this house and moved in, part of me felt like he was trying to scare me to get more shots and him get more money but I'm not sure.

Either way I think we will definitely get Nugget tested but of she's negative I don't feel a strong need for a vaccine since the kittens don't have it ( were both tested ! ) and have no plans for more cats.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been able to pet them actually! They don't swat or do anything particularly aggressive.

I just don't know about letting them loose as there's three bookshelves that are on carpet so aren't as stable or if they start to scratch what is in there.

My older cat is declawed, ( which was done behind my back! When I got my older cat I was only 15/16, was furious and will NOT be doing so to my kittens ) so we need to get scratching posts and more for them. So I was wanting to teach them to use those and worried about them bolting out of the room as our house is pretty big.

3 bedroom, 2 bath, with a large kitchen, living room, and hallway. It's big with lots of boxes still that need to be unpacked and lots of places for them to hide. I'm not wanting to keep them in the cage forever by any means, my older cat is starting to get curious.

But we will try and get a bed or maybe bigger cage ( all temporary! ) to help accommodate. I've tried to soclize with them but know that time is truly my biggest aid and ally in letting them get to trust me. I think if they were free they'd hide under the bed in their room or closet and I wouldn't be able to socialize.

They've been slowly starting to play with the toys in front of me so I assume that's a good sign, and no longer loafing the whole time I'm with them.

The door to their room is squeaky so maybe that's why they both hissed last night, that it just scared them?

Will continue to update daily as I am a stay at home cat mom lol.
I strongly suggest you " kitten proof ' that room they are in - you don't socialize kittens by confining them in a welded wire cage,no matter the size... Let me try to describe how they see the new & very scarey,unfamiliar territory around them- it will help you to understand how it all works

2 little babies ( thank God they have each other) have no Momma who was their rock,their protector,their provider and basically their everything ( at this tender age)- suddenly they've found themselves in a strange planet ( outdoors to indoors) the air is different,there's no sky,no birds chirping,nothing they are used to seeing,hearing or smelling since birth and now there's super scary sounds ( refrigerator,heat or A/C kicking on,TV,radio,phones, faucets,toilets flushing ... It's frightening,it's been only a week and they are trapped,no place to run or "hide" completely exposed ( like a fishbowl) and there's some pretty nice ' creature ' that comes around,brings food but can't tell what it's up to with those long tentacles ( arms,legs) & super long exposed claws( fingers)..... It looks at us like it wants to fight and then it feels really nice when it touches us----- hmmm,friend or foe,not sure yet,need to watch it though....

Well,that's the best I can do to describe what they see,of course in time they'll get used to you & understand you are their food source & pretty nice but will they be stress free, confident and not skittish - maybe,maybe not

Now,allow them to explore everything around them( at will & not when you come in to let them out) become familiar with all they see,give them places to hide when they are frightened or a sound startles them they will feel very safe,secure and will come around at their rate of comfort --- in fact this results in a cat that does not hide because hes confident in his familiar territory ---- he will want to get to know this nice " food source" without any hesitancy because he doesn't feel ' exposed, vulnerable or trapped ... Make sense?

You can use " Scratch No' sprays to deter the kittens from scratching what you don't want them to scratch & provide scratch poles & boxes for them to scratch --- kittens are so easy to teach to use poles,you simply take their little paws,put them on the pole & show them to scratch - poof,thry get it!

Maybe your looking at them straight on when approaching them without realizing instead of looking away - body language is how cats speak to one another - I believe there's a few articles on that here at TCS you might want to look up-

This is the best time to establish a great foundation for the kitties to have the greatest disposition and even temperament because they've not learned anything - you get to show them they live in paradise ❤

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, for feline leukemia. The vet scared me saying if my older cat ( her name is Nugget ) has it she could spread it to the kittens. But as I've said before she's been a strictly inside cat her whole life and only lived with another animal ( my stepdads shitzu ) for a year or so before I moved out with her.

She had her FeLv vaccine a year ago and updated rabies before I flew with her to move states.

I agree its overkill and will most likely just have her tested, and if it's negative I feel it's necessary to give her an unwarranted shot. Plus what I've read about feline leukemia is it normally shows signs around 2.5—3 years old not 8. And that 1% of domestic house cats have it.

Plus before we took them to the vet we would pet them after petting Nugget, but washed our hands and continue to after interacting with the kittens. So they have kinda be "exposed" to her in a way ?? But not really.

This was also the first time going to this vet as I have mentioned we just bought this house and moved in, part of me felt like he was trying to scare me to get more shots and him get more money but I'm not sure.

Either way I think we will definitely get Nugget tested but of she's negative I don't feel a strong need for a vaccine since the kittens don't have it ( were both tested ! ) and have no plans for more cats.
So an update for this morning at least, they hissed when I came into their room again but I think now it's that they don't know it's me/the door is squeaky and could be startling them.

Because after I fed them they sniffed me and let me pet them with no tensing up, and after both keep sniffing me/booping my hand and even played with some toys for a little bit!

They also are both as equally relaxed now after eating!

Still going to keep updating, hope everyone is expecting a long thread lol. Snapchat-1805372124.jpg

Attachments

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

if you have a big house I strongly suggest you find a room that doesn't have an immediate use and cat proof it and let them have it for the next week or so and just focus on other rooms. this is a really crucial point of their development as far as bonding with humans goes. give them a little cave to hide in. kittens aren't like big cats. they're not going to hide for long. too much to explore. when we are socializing new cats we always put them in our spare room. which just has a bed and tv and tv stand and a couple chairs. we take the frame away from the bed so it's a mattress on the floor and then let them have the room until it's time to introduce them. then we spend a lot of time with them. splitting it between the cats we already have and the new cats. I don't like sleeping down there because there are occasional spiders so my hubby generally is the one that gets the job of sleeping down there with them. it's usually just a day or so before they're sleeping on him while he sleeps. kittens need a lot of atten and care or they're not going to be socialized well. I know it's a lot to take in and do but they're just lil babies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
if you have a big house I strongly suggest you find a room that doesn't have an immediate use and cat proof it and let them have it for the next week or so and just focus on other rooms. this is a really crucial point of their development as far as bonding with humans goes. give them a little cave to hide in. kittens aren't like big cats. they're not going to hide for long. too much to explore. when we are socializing new cats we always put them in our spare room. which just has a bed and tv and tv stand and a couple chairs. we take the frame away from the bed so it's a mattress on the floor and then let them have the room until it's time to introduce them. then we spend a lot of time with them. splitting it between the cats we already have and the new cats. I don't like sleeping down there because there are occasional spiders so my hubby generally is the one that gets the job of sleeping down there with them. it's usually just a day or so before they're sleeping on him while he sleeps. kittens need a lot of atten and care or they're not going to be socialized well. I know it's a lot to take in and do but they're just lil babies.
100percent👍👍👍👍👍

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have been in the spare room, I appreciate the advice but the vet had even recommended keeping them how they've been until they're more sociable.

I don't necessarily want to keep reiterating myself but as of now that is not an option for multiple reasons previously stated.

We do not have an extra room for that and the room they are in is the spare room. When I am able to get enough enclosed soft bed and scratching posts and spray to help deter that, I will.

This moment in time it's not possible, maybe I can this weekend. With the holidays and 6 nephews and neices to buy presents for I'm not able to do any of that financially as of right now.

I have updated how they were this morning, and will continue to keep this post updated daily.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
They have been in the spare room, I appreciate the advice but the vet had even recommended keeping them how they've been until they're more sociable.

I don't necessarily want to keep reiterating myself but as of now that is not an option for multiple reasons previously stated.

We do not have an extra room for that and the room they are in is the spare room. When I am able to get enough enclosed soft bed and scratching posts and spray to help deter that, I will.

This moment in time it's not possible, maybe I can this weekend. With the holidays and 6 nephews and neices to buy presents for I'm not able to do any of that financially as of right now.

I have updated how they were this morning, and will continue to keep this post updated daily.
I hear your frustration- please understand everyone is thrilled that you are here,you've taken these babies in and we LOVE that you love them and conpletely understand you can only do what you can do when and how you need to do it..... and $$$ unfortunately dictates and often limits our options- we are here for you and everyone is well intended- it's hard to know the whole situation from just a few posts

I encourage you to keep posting and don't feel you have to defend your decisions,nobody is walking in your shoes and we get to know more & more about each other in this wonderful setting of fellowship- I'm glad you're here and really glad your babies have YOU!

Wouldn't we all love to open our doors to every single cat that crosses our path? It's just not possible and wed be charged with hoarding!!!I certainly don't have a house big enough for even one more cat and I did not have the luxury of a big space to go separating cats and do things tye way I'd like to so all mine started out caged- I've got 5 wonderful cats that all get along,they all behave and it's a great dynamic-if you put in the time,have plenty of patience and lots of love the end results are GREAT----so I get it,really

You're doing a really good job and your options are limited,understood-everyone has their opinions so whatever suggestions you think are best,take- leave the rest ... Still,we love your photos and thst you've invited us in to your journey ❤❤❤❤❤

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear your frustration- please understand everyone is thrilled that you are here,you've taken these babies in and we LOVE that you love them and conpletely understand you can only do what you can do when and how you need to do it..... and $$$ unfortunately dictates and often limits our options- we are here for you and everyone is well intended- it's hard to know the whole situation from just a few posts

I encourage you to keep posting and don't feel you have to defend your decisions,nobody is walking in your shoes and we get to know more & more about each other in this wonderful setting of fellowship- I'm glad you're here and really glad your babies have YOU!

Wouldn't we all love to open our doors to every single cat that crosses our path? It's just not possible and wed be charged with hoarding!!!I certainly don't have a house big enough for even one more cat and I did not have the luxury of a big space to go separating cats and do things tye way I'd like to so all mine started out caged- I've got 5 wonderful cats that all get along,they all behave and it's a great dynamic-if you put in the time,have plenty of patience and lots of love the end results are GREAT----so I get it,really

You're doing a really good job and your options are limited,understood-everyone has their opinions so whatever suggestions you think are best,take- leave the rest ... Still,we love your photos and thst you've invited us in to your journey ❤❤❤❤❤

Thank you!! I've seen videos and read so many random articles that say to do this or that, which is why I came here because it's very overwhelming. Each situation is unique.

Little update!

They've been getting more and more comfortable with me, and Jinx was even playing with my hand!! I've been interacting with them with their cage open, and only hiss when I enter the room ( very squeaky door, which will be getting the WD40 treatment soon ) then chill out once they've smelt my hand and know it's me.

But today after Shrimp used the litter box she started to walk out and I had to pick her up, and she let me with no hisses or scratches or bites, nothing! Just as if I was picking up my own cat.

Even after she was calm, and they've been gradually allowing me to pet them more! Baby steps and time seem to be the best solution so far, any tips are appreciated!

But please keep in mind, next paycheck I will be getting scratching posts and covered beds! Just can't right now. Snapchat-1280353822.jpg

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Little update!

They've been getting more and more comfortable with me, and Jinx was even playing with my hand!! I've been interacting with them with their cage open, and only hiss when I enter the room ( very squeaky door, which will be getting the WD40 treatment soon ) then chill out once they've smelt my hand and know it's me.

But today after Shrimp used the litter box she started to walk out and I had to pick her up, and she let me with no hisses or scratches or bites, nothing! Just as if I was picking up my own cat.

Even after she was calm, and they've been gradually allowing me to pet them more! Baby steps and time seem to be the best solution so far, any tips are appreciated!

But please keep in mind, next paycheck I will be getting scratching posts and covered beds! Just can't right now.
Way to go! Every small step counts!