Trimming Big Boy without getting clipped

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he'll forgive you. That's a big knot! I love long haired cats but as they age, the grooming can become quite the ordeal if they're resistant to it. My Levi was very old and pretty frail and resisted brushing even when he wasn't tangled or matted. His skin was so sensitive. If he was at the vets for any reason, I'd tell them if there was a specific knot I was struggling with and the techs would get in there and get it out in no time flat. If there is a specific area you're worried about clipping, tell them tomorrow, and they might be able to get it for you.
Big Boy is full of knots.

Might have to give him a Lion Cut, yike a rooney.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Boy is full of knots.

Might have to give him a Lion Cut, yike a rooney.
I knew one large cat in my childhood, it possibly was a Maine Coon (this was a good 30+ years ago now). She was the cat of a childhood friend.

When this cat got old, she stopped grooming almost entirely. She had very bad arthritis from what I remember, and literally couldn't groom her whole body anymore. The owner would give her a lion cut, and she'd act like she felt so much better afterward.

I vividly remember that she would get much more active after getting groomed. Like "I feel like a million bucks" active.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew one large cat in my childhood, it possibly was a Maine Coon (this was a good 30+ years ago now). She was the cat of a childhood friend.

When this cat got old, she stopped grooming almost entirely. She had very bad arthritis from what I remember, and literally couldn't groom her whole body anymore. The owner would give her a lion cut, and she'd act like she felt so much better afterward.

I vividly remember that she would get much more active after getting groomed. Like "I feel like a million bucks" active.
We've done clip downs on cats quite often. Either the cats stop grooming entirely or the cats are so resistant to brushing that it just works better for the owner. Willie got positively wicked with me if I pulled on his hair so he sometimes had short spots, and Levi did too as he aged. It's hair, it grows back. :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done the gradual introduction? Over a period of time show him the unplugged clippers and reward, show him the clippers running (don't actualy cut his fur) and reward if he doesn't bolt or hide. And finaly work up to actualy clipping him.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done the gradual introduction? Over a period of time show him the unplugged clippers and reward, show him the clippers running (don't actualy cut his fur) and reward if he doesn't bolt or hide. And finaly work up to actualy clipping him.
Nope. One show then clip.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. One show then clip.
You may have to go back to square one and start over. Cats often need to be desensitized to a tool such as a clipper. Even if it is quiet to you, he can hear even better than a dog, probably sounds like a lawnmower to him.
Thats why it is important to help him associate it with a tasty reward or pets.

If he stays still it will be much easier to clip him without cutting his delicate skin.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a super quiet, low vibration one off Amazon. We started small and just did Nobel's bottom but worked up to doing his whole belly and bottom. It helped keep him clean and tidy as he didn't tolerate being handled well...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The teddy cut is a much better looking version than the poodle (lion) cut imo.

An attractive alternitive that doesn't have as high a cutting risk.

Old animals have very thin skin. be super careful if you do any major clipping.
They do have very thin skin, and it can be very easy to cut. Areas around the stomach, armpits, flanks, etc. can be especially easy to cut, so it's always best to proceed with caution and do a little bit at a time. I did cut Levi once, very superficially, trying to remove a mat on his chest. :( With a finishing steel/ceramic blade, a #10 is the safest option.
Did your cat have his hair cut with a clipper comb? This can be a great alternative, but IME it doesn't handle mats as well, but it does a really nice job shortening the hair as a preventative measure. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a super quiet, low vibration one off Amazon. We started small and just did Nobel's bottom but worked up to doing his whole belly and bottom. It helped keep him clean and tidy as he didn't tolerate being handled well...
We groom a VERY heavily coated Persian, and he gets a trim on the stomach, rear end, and the chest (the fur is so long anytime he grooms it it gets stuck in his mouth if we don't.) He never seemed to have a problem with the clippers, but, he will allow us to dry him, brush him, and he will happily lay flat on his back on the table, spread eagle as we work. :lol: He's an awesome little cat.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Looks like Big Boy's in the same boat, gonna work up to a Lion Cut.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"I vividly remember that she would get much more active after getting groomed. Like "I feel like a million bucks" active."

I love what you said here, mine went from being almost feral and tearing a strip off of me if I got to close to actually coming to me to be brushed after he had a lions cut. I had to put medicated cream on his sore spots and he seemed to like this too. Now he will meow from the top of his lungs if he doesn't get a brush a least once a day.