Trimming Big Boy without getting clipped

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Big Boy my Maine Coon mix who's getting old, and needing the old goat treatment. One thing he's not doing as much as he used to is groom himself, and his coat is full of clumps and tangles, especially near the back end and the belly.

Yes yes I know DON'T USE SCISSORS! (Why not? They cut his skin! How do you think I know? :cloudy:)

I've tried the olive oil method and it seems to make him barf.

So, I'd like to get a clipper of some kind that will get rid of the clumps and tangles with a minimal amount of annoyance to both of us.

Thoughts?

big boy at window.jpeg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, this isn't an answer but I'm curious about the "olive oil method?" I haven't heard of that before, but when I Google it, I see hits talking about using oil to remove matting.

How are you applying it and/or adding it to his diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, this isn't an answer but I'm curious about the "olive oil method?" I haven't heard of that before, but when I Google it, I see hits talking about using oil to remove matting.

How are you applying it and/or adding it to his diet?
Applying to tangles, causing them to slip off

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Applying to tangles, causing them to slip off
So the result, then, is that he grooms the olive oil off and vomits?

I really don't know anything about this issue, but when I Google this, I see other types of oil sometimes used. I've seen coconut oil cited as one other option.

Again this is just me doing a quick search and rehashing some random internet sentences, so I could very well be entirely wrong... I'm just curious about this and doing a little digging.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is what I read about Olive Oil. Don't know if it works, but sounds kind of messy.

Matted Fur
Many cat owners swear by using olive oil topically on their cat’s fur to remove pesky matted areas. To do this, use a syringe (the non-needle kind) to apply olive oil to the base of the mat as close to the skin as possible, gently rub it in, and then—poof!—a few days later, the mat just falls off. Re-apply more olive oil after about three days if it doesn’t work. Cover your furniture with towels if you’re worried about staining.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave , user Purrfect Meow Purrfect Meow mentioned the Wahl Bravura. I have two sets and I couldn't do my job without them. But, they are pricey.
Arco® is another option.
(There is a Mini-Arco version that is less expensive, but be sure that you're getting a 5 in 1 adjustable blade vs. a fixed blade that is a #30, which is short enough that clipper burn could be a possibility.)
Look for something with a #10 if you choose a clipper with one blade. Andis is a great brand.
The 5 in 1's are really nice because they go from a #9 all the way to a #40, and most come with clipper combs which will do nothing for tangles or mats, but are nice if you'd like to "blend" the area after shaving out problem spots.
No matter what you choose, be sure to keep checking the blade on your palm as the shorter the blade, the quicker they heat up and hot blades can cause all kinds of problems.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought this set on Amazon. It's cordless, really quiet and didn't vibrate too strongly.

Amazon.ca

the nail clippers that came with it are actually the best I've ever had as well.
Could you say what it is, by name? I just get the general Amazon link.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious... How old is Big Boy? Did you already mention his age and I missed it? I'm just wondering.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those look perfect!!
Did it come with a #10 blade?
Just be sure to remember to oil the blade before using or it will get very hot very quickly. And a #10 does take things short, so just work at the tangled areas gently and you should be good. :) Check the blade while it's running every so often and take a break if it begins warming up, you don't want to burn his skin.
For Big Boy, letting him see and smell them is a great idea. When he's comfortable, turn them on low (pointy side of the blade laying downward) and let him sniff them and get used to them. I hope it's a success!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious... How old is Big Boy? Did you already mention his age and I missed it? I'm just wondering.
He’s old, exactly how old chronologically I don’t know for sure. He was about ten years old when I got him back in 2016 more or less, so he’s likely in his teens.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s old, exactly how old chronologically I don’t know for sure. He was about ten years old when I got him back in 2016 more or less, so he’s likely in his teens.
I get it. Willy, my old boy, is about 11 years old, but he showed up at an unknown age at the beginning of his life, so nobody knows for sure how old he is.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look perfect!!
Did it come with a #10 blade?
Just be sure to remember to oil the blade before using or it will get very hot very quickly. And a #10 does take things short, so just work at the tangled areas gently and you should be good. :) Check the blade while it's running every so often and take a break if it begins warming up, you don't want to burn his skin.
For Big Boy, letting him see and smell them is a great idea. When he's comfortable, turn them on low (pointy side of the blade laying downward) and let him sniff them and get used to them. I hope it's a success!
Yes they did, I got it for $115 at petsmart.

Bib Boy didn’t like the procedure, but I managed to cut out a big tangle of fur off one of his rear “withers“.

He bolted and hid but it’s feeding time and we’ll be buds again till I take him the vets’ for a urine test tomorrow morning.
IMG_3495.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes they did, I got it for $115 at petsmart.

Bib Boy didn’t like the procedure, but I managed to cut out a big tangle of fur off one of his rear “withers“.

He bolted and hid but it’s feeding time and we’ll be buds again till I take him the vets’ for a urine test tomorrow morning.View attachment 462058
I'm sure he'll forgive you. That's a big knot! I love long haired cats but as they age, the grooming can become quite the ordeal if they're resistant to it. My Levi was very old and pretty frail and resisted brushing even when he wasn't tangled or matted. His skin was so sensitive. If he was at the vets for any reason, I'd tell them if there was a specific knot I was struggling with and the techs would get in there and get it out in no time flat. If there is a specific area you're worried about clipping, tell them tomorrow, and they might be able to get it for you.