Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is looking grim now.

Sandy hasn’t ate on her own in 3 days. I have syringe fed her as much as I could cooperatively but even with Entyce she has virtually no appetite. She also isn’t grooming herself. I took her to the vet and they told me that her tumors have swelled to the point of blocking her airways which is why she is having problems breathing and it’s affecting other areas including her appetite. They say prednisone may increase her appetite again and that she may be able to survive just alittle longer.

I couldn’t put her down yet. Im going to try just alittle bit longer. It’s financially murdering me but I can’t do it. I’m supposed to be worki by my second job all night tonight but I took this night off to be with Sandy. I don’t know what I’m going to do, if I’m going to put her back on prednisone and use artemisinin (targets cells with high iron count and Cancerous Cells fit that category) or leave her off the prednisone and continue my current therapy with AHCC which uses the immune system to attack them. I don’t know what to do but I have a terrible feeling that I might not beable to save her.
I am SO SORRY.

These are extraordinary hard times and decisions that need to be made. :(

It is heartbreaking, I am in tears.

I try to focus on what is best for the cat. If an animal is in pain and/or struggling etc then what the most humane and best thing for the animal is possible?

Ughhhhhhh. I LOVE Sandy. I know you LOVE Sandy beyond any measure.

I WISH there was a better update, more hope. But I do think you have to seriously consider what is best for Sandy and also what is best for you. I think you are absolutely aware of that.

Sometimes love is a challenge and it is confusing. But doing what you feel is best is where the love comes in.

You have given Sandy the two greatest things we can give: Life and Love. You saved her from a short life on the streets (full of fear, pain, concern, etc) and given her the most love anyone can give and a great home full of love. Though her life is too short and is totally not fair, the quality of her life has been of the highest and most wonderful any animal or human can have. A life of high quality, love full 2 years is worth more than 100 years of "average" life in my opinion. She learned to love, to trust, to be loved. She had the chance to live the life she deserved and you should be SO PROUD that you gave her that. Even for 5 minutes would be a gift but you gave her years. I KNOW she loves you for that.

I pray for you and Sandy. Please let us know how you both are doing. I KNOW how hard this is. Sadly, I have had to make these decisions too many times. BUT we have to think about all the good we have given and received. That life is precious, that we celebrate the time (no matter how long or short) and realize the great gift we were given and we gave. I do believe we do reunite in the future and I am sure all or loved ones will enjoy all of us being reunited in time when He choses.

I am so sorry. I am tearing. Please tell Sandy she is SO LOVED by us!!! And she will always be in our hearts!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn’t give Sandy any supplements or medication last night. I just let her rest and I rested with her and just pet her all night. Last night. She had enough appetite to drink water on her own (a considerable amount) and ate alittle food on her own too.

Today I decided to try something. I keep the other cats out while she is eating at this time because I don’t want them to get her food as it usually has her supplements and medication but today I decided to let them in and served them their food near Sandy. Sandy at first ignored her food but then when she saw and heard the other cats eating it must have triggered an instinct because she then proceeded to eat her food as well. She didn’t eat all of it but it is atleast an improvement. Her breathing is still pretty rough though.

I want to give it just alittle more time to make sure she doesn’t improve with the supplements before euthanize her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C calicosrspecial has written my thoughts and feelings. If you are a spiritually rooted person, and I pray you are, no matter your Faith, I hope you know that the soul is eternal. Sandy will always live! She may not be physically there in the form you recognize, but she will always live and she will always watch over you. When she ascends this earthly life, all of her discomfort will be gone, not even a memory. But the love you share will continue forever. And you WILL reunite in due time, never to part.
For now, you must do what you feel is right for her, and for you. Please pray if you can, for her, and on the matter. Know that she loves you unconditionally, always.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t give Sandy any supplements or medication last night. I just let her rest and I rested with her and just pet her all night. Last night. She had enough appetite to drink water on her own (a considerable amount) and ate alittle food on her own too.

Today I decided to try something. I keep the other cats out while she is eating at this time because I don’t want them to get her food as it usually has her supplements and medication but today I decided to let them in and served them their food near Sandy. Sandy at first ignored her food but then when she saw and heard the other cats eating it must have triggered an instinct because she then proceeded to eat her food as well. She didn’t eat all of it but it is atleast an improvement. Her breathing is still pretty rough though.

I want to give it just alittle more time to make sure she doesn’t improve with the supplements before euthanize her.
I am so happy to hear you are making sure she knows she is loved and comforting her.

I am so glad to hear she ate today as well.

I totally understand. on giving her time. As long as you feel she is not suffering, fearful, etc. Your love for her will guide you to the best decisions.

I wish I had words that could help. These are some of the most difficult times we ever face. :(

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to put Sandy to sleep. It murders me even thinking of it and to remember what I felt when I did the same to Ginger that I will end up doing to Sandy..

This morning even with Panda she wouldnt eat on her own. She's more reluctant to her meds and supplements as well. When I pump them into her she just coughs out a ton of mucous and phlegm. She went to lay down and I saw and recognized just how tired and exhausted she was. Her abdomen pumps heavily when she breathes and her head bobs with every breath and her eyes barely had any strength when she looked at me. This morning when she woke up she began her usual ceremony of wanting me to pet her but when I did she withdrew and hid in my bathtub and I saw her there laying winded, exhausted, tired. Her fur completely unkempt as she hasnt bathed herself and completely unable to handle herself. I carried her back to the cat tree and I began giving her the supplements and meds but she coughed alot of it out, so I withdrew.. ..I gave her the buprinex to help reduce her suffering.. ...and then when she calmed down.. I did this...

I'm going to miss her so much. It wont be the same waking up in my room and she's not there to barrage me or going to my room to sleep and she's not there to lay on or near my bed or rushing to barrage my legs wanting me to pet her when I come home or sitting above my head when Im laying down.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to put Sandy to sleep. It murders me even thinking of it and to remember what I felt when I did the same to Ginger that I will end up doing to Sandy..

This morning even with Panda she wouldnt eat on her own. She's more reluctant to her meds and supplements as well. When I pump them into her she just coughs out a ton of mucous and phlegm. She went to lay down and I saw and recognized just how tired and exhausted she was. Her abdomen pumps heavily when she breathes and her head bobs with every breath and her eyes barely had any strength when she looked at me. This morning when she woke up she began her usual ceremony of wanting me to pet her but when I did she withdrew and hid in my bathtub and I saw her there laying winded, exhausted, tired. Her fur completely unkempt as she hasnt bathed herself and completely unable to handle herself. I carried her back to the cat tree and I began giving her the supplements and meds but she coughed alot of it out, so I withdrew.. ..I gave her the buprinex to help reduce her suffering.. ...and then when she calmed down.. I did this...

I'm going to miss her so much. It wont be the same waking up in my room and she's not there to barrage me or going to my room to sleep and she's not there to lay on or near my bed or rushing to barrage my legs wanting me to pet her when I come home or sitting above my head when Im laying down.
This breaks my heart. The love you two share is obvious. And I know that you love her enough to end her pain and suffering and, by doing so, embrace your own. My prayers are constantly with you. Sandy will be free of any suffering, You will be together again. When it’s your time to leave this world for one where nothing is broken, where there are no tears, no sadness and sorrow, only great joy, I know her beautiful little face will be among the first you see, her little body made healthy and whole. Mike, you have been such a warrior for Sandy. You have fought a valiant fight. And even though it hurts so much right now, I hope you know that being able to love unconditionally is a gift from God in itself. Please remember what we talked about - better one day too soon than one moment too late. You will be giving her the greatest gift possible. Know that Panda will be grieving as well, and needs you too. I am so proud of you. Everyone who knows about you and Sandy and Ginger loves you both and shares your grief. Fly free, gorgeous girl, romp with Ginger, and watch over your daddy. We are here for you Mike, surrounding you both in prayer and loving thoughts. :redheartpump:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tomorrow will be one year since I very unexpectedly had to make that decision for my beloved angel Tarifa. I made an appointment for her because there were physical things going on with her that I thought the doctor could help. Tarifa ate well that morning. The vet's office said they were booked up, but when I told the person the things I was seeing, they asked the doctor and the doctor said to bring her in. I did. He took one look at her and asked to anaesthetize her so he could look closer. His findings were dire and he said she was suffering and incurable. So I had to make the decision you are making.
Tarifa had been with me since I adopted her at 11 months. She would have been 18 the next month. She was SO special in so many, many ways. We all miss her terribly, terribly every day. Nothing is the same. But I would do the same thing in a heartbeat, as you will because it is the right thing to do to put the needs of those we love before our own.
Sandy will not leave you! She will watch over you until you are together again. You will not see her physically, or feel her physically, but she WILL be with you. Know that. You are a person of Faith. You know that the soul is eternal.
Sandy has the look of determination in her eyes right now. She is doing this for you. And you will do for her what is right for her, because your love is unconditional. You are bonded at the soul. That will never end.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to try one last thing. I remember all the mucous and phlegm that came out of her mouth when I was trying to feed her. I googled and found that excessive mucous buildup can also cause cats to lose their appetite. I looked up a ‘safe’ dosage of mucinex for cats. For Sandy it’s about 250mg but I went with 200mg to be safe. I dilluted it with water and slowly injected it. Immediately she started coughing up ALOT of phlegm. I had to constantly clean her face but after about an hour of feeding it to her (she was evasive) her breathing improved significantly. It’s still not 100% normal but she regained some of her stamina too. She is still lethargic though. Maybe she is very congested which could be the reason why she didn’t eat. I did leave some food out for her and she ate it while I was gone but I caused her to vomit by injecting the fluid into her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry. She is SO GORGEOUS and SWEET!!!

You have to remember that you do what you do because you love her and want what is best for her. Seeing the video tells me she absolutely knows you love her and she loves you.

It is wonderful you gave her that love, to calm her, to let her know she is loved so much.

"I decided to try one last thing. I remember all the mucous and phlegm that came out of her mouth when I was trying to feed her. I googled and found that excessive mucous buildup can also cause cats to lose their appetite." - Yes, I believe that is true.

" I looked up a ‘safe’ dosage of mucinex for cats. For Sandy it’s about 250mg but I went with 200mg to be safe. I dilluted it with water and slowly injected it." - I would call the vet and ask.

" Immediately she started coughing up ALOT of phlegm." - Yes

" I had to constantly clean her face" - Yes

" but after about an hour of feeding it to her (she was evasive) her breathing improved significantly. It’s still not 100% normal but she regained some of her stamina too." - That is great

" She is still lethargic though." - Yes, probably because she hasn't eaten much.

"Maybe she is very congested which could be the reason why she didn’t eat." - Could be, I would ask the vet.

" I did leave some food out for her and she ate it while I was gone" - That is good, she must have been hungry.

" but I caused her to vomit by injecting the fluid into her." - :/

You are trying your best, that is all you can do. Just do your best, keep monitoring her, speak the the vet and let the love you have for her make the best decision possible for her. This is not easy, it is absolutely awful. Just do your best.

She is SO GORGEOUS and so sweet and loving and trusting. You have given her such gifts. She is so lucky to have found you. The love you have given her and continue to give her is a gift few pets ever get let alone ferals, etc. Please be proud of all you have and are doing for her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to try one last thing. I remember all the mucous and phlegm that came out of her mouth when I was trying to feed her. I googled and found that excessive mucous buildup can also cause cats to lose their appetite. I looked up a ‘safe’ dosage of mucinex for cats. For Sandy it’s about 250mg but I went with 200mg to be safe. I dilluted it with water and slowly injected it. Immediately she started coughing up ALOT of phlegm. I had to constantly clean her face but after about an hour of feeding it to her (she was evasive) her breathing improved significantly. It’s still not 100% normal but she regained some of her stamina too. She is still lethargic though. Maybe she is very congested which could be the reason why she didn’t eat. I did leave some food out for her and she ate it while I was gone but I caused her to vomit by injecting the fluid into her.
Excellent, excellent! What a cat can't smell, a cat won't eat. She ate on her own!!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Sandy to another vet tonight because her breathing increased again. This vet was much more affordable atleast. They drained her and she had a significant amount of fluid build up. She is breathing better for now. They are going to do an analysis on the fluid to see if there is anything that can be done on their end.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Sandy to another vet tonight because her breathing increased again. This vet was much more affordable atleast. They drained her and she had a significant amount of fluid build up. She is breathing better for now. They are going to do an analysis on the fluid to see if there is anything that can be done on their end.
*Prayers* that her care team can find a way to help her to feel better!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Too bad she had a significant amount of fluid built up. :( At least the vet is more affordable and she is breathing better. HOPEFULLY They can find something to help the fluid build up.

Did she act a little better after the vet visit? Did she eat on her own? Is she comfortable?

Hang in there. YOU are doing all you can do and your best. Prayers to you both!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its been very rough. Yesterday when I got her home she seemed like she wanted to have stamina but her breathing got pretty heavy again. This morning she tried to walk normally she ended up stumbling around and even falling on her side suddenly completely out of breath until I sedated her again. When she was alittle more calm and she caught her breath I syringe fed her some mucinex diluted with a lot of water and she coughed up a ton of phlegm. I then left her in the bathroom with the shower door open and on the hottest setting to steam up the room. She panted pretty heavy for awhile but after she caught her breath she drizzled mucous out of her mouth for a bit and seemed a bit more comfortable. I waited another 30 minutes and gave her her meds and supplements then let her rest. I left her some food, when she awakened, she ate it while I wasn't around. This evening I had to repeat the cycle. I syringe fed her some water, mucinex, and she coughed up more phlegm, then I left the shower door open and ran it on the hottest setting. She decided to lay on the towel close to the shower so she got all wet. I ended up having to get another towel and towel dried her. She purred. I gave her her meds and supplements and let her rest again. I caught up on some work then fed the rest of the cats and decided to bring Sandy some too, when I opened the door to my bedroom I was quite pleasantly surprised to find Sandy on her feet infront of my bedroom door and not hiding in my bathroom, waiting for me to feed her like she normally does at this time of day.

I'm really beginning to wonder if she really has Cancer, or if she contracted Covid-19 from me while I was asymptomatic. It will be interesting to see the results from the new vet. They are analyzing the fluid so I will have a second opinion.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its been very rough. Yesterday when I got her home she seemed like she wanted to have stamina but her breathing got pretty heavy again. This morning she tried to walk normally she ended up stumbling around and even falling on her side suddenly completely out of breath until I sedated her again. When she was alittle more calm and she caught her breath I syringe fed her some mucinex diluted with a lot of water and she coughed up a ton of phlegm. I then left her in the bathroom with the shower door open and on the hottest setting to steam up the room. She panted pretty heavy for awhile but after she caught her breath she drizzled mucous out of her mouth for a bit and seemed a bit more comfortable. I waited another 30 minutes and gave her her meds and supplements then let her rest. I left her some food, when she awakened, she ate it while I wasn't around. This evening I had to repeat the cycle. I syringe fed her some water, mucinex, and she coughed up more phlegm, then I left the shower door open and ran it on the hottest setting. She decided to lay on the towel close to the shower so she got all wet. I ended up having to get another towel and towel dried her. She purred. I gave her her meds and supplements and let her rest again. I caught up on some work then fed the rest of the cats and decided to bring Sandy some too, when I opened the door to my bedroom I was quite pleasantly surprised to find Sandy on her feet infront of my bedroom door and not hiding in my bathroom, waiting for me to feed her like she normally does at this time of day.

I'm really beginning to wonder if she really has Cancer, or if she contracted Covid-19 from me while I was asymptomatic. It will be interesting to see the results from the new vet. They are analyzing the fluid so I will have a second opinion.
"when I opened the door to my bedroom I was quite pleasantly surprised to find Sandy on her feet infront of my bedroom door and not hiding in my bathroom, waiting for me to feed her like she normally does at this time of day." - I am so glad she is doing better after not doing so well.

"I'm really beginning to wonder if she really has Cancer, or if she contracted Covid-19 from me while I was asymptomatic." - Well, I HOPE that the cancer diagnosis is incorrect.

"They are analyzing the fluid so I will have a second opinion. " - Yes, that is great.

Did the vet ever make a guess as to Sandy's age? Is it possible she is Panda's mother rather than sister?

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the new vet got back to me today and told me that she does have cancer and the cancer she has is Carcinoma and that she has a pretty poor prognosis. She most likely wont live very long even with chemotherapy and radiology would be ineffective against Carcinoma.

I guess it really is the end. I guess I will need to end her suffering.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the new vet got back to me today and told me that she does have cancer and the cancer she has is Carcinoma and that she has a pretty poor prognosis. She most likely wont live very long even with chemotherapy and radiology would be ineffective against Carcinoma.

I guess it really is the end. I guess I will need to end her suffering.
I am so sorry. *Prayers* from the heart for her, and for you.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s over. I put Sandy to sleep tonight at 8pm CST. I am in tears right now. I did not want to do this to her. I took her in and I played the cat music I used to play on my computer that I used at night to help her sleep, and I sang to her while holding as they injected her then I bawled into tears as she fell limp in my arms. It crushed me. I’m in my room now where she would normally be following me around while I paced to run her face against my ankles and arc her back against my leg. I won’t beable to see her in the mornings sitting over my face with her beautiful eyes looking down at me waiting for me to wake up so I can pet her. I miss her.