Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the thermostat around 77*F

Her breathing seems to go through cycles. This morning she seems to be breathing heavy then she tried to play with Panda and it got heavier so she went off and laid down for a bit and it calmed down alittle but it’s still higher than it was yesterday. She seems to be acting somewhat normal, she did come out the bath tub and lays either on my bed or the cat tree I just bought her.
I would think it is a good sign she wanted to play with Panda. Great that it did calm down and she laid down. :/ Too bad it is higher than normal but yesterday sounded really good. She still sounds a lot better than the other day.

Great that she is acting "somewhat normal".

I would think it is a good sign she is either on your bed or on the cat tree.

Eating normal? Taking her pills?

Hang in there. I would guess it isn't linear. Let's hope the progress continues. Keep the vet apprised of the situation.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluid buildup can be a sign of FIP, if your vet didn't test for that already then you might want to consider asking them to do that if she comes back negative for fungal infection and cancer. Hopefully it is just an infection and the medication clears it up.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called me this afternoon. They confirmed it to be lung and colon cancer. :( They are keeping her on prednisone but removing the anti-fungal prescription. They also do not believe that chemo-therapy will help her. Basically they want to perform pain mitigation until she’s too uncomfortable to continue.

I don’t know a great deal about fighting Cancer but I need to find a way to try to fight it with her diet. I already feed her raw food. Are there any foods or drugs that I can safely feed her that will kill cancerous cells? Or atleast make it manageable so she can still have a healthy life? I have read alittle about artemisinin but it also sounds like it was used in conjunction with Chemotherapy. Any other ideas?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet called me this afternoon. They confirmed it to be lung and colon cancer. :( They are keeping her on prednisone but removing the anti-fungal prescription. They also do not believe that chemo-therapy will help her. Basically they want to perform pain mitigation until she’s too uncomfortable to continue.

I don’t know a great deal about fighting Cancer but I need to find a way to try to fight it with her diet. I already feed her raw food. Are there any foods or drugs that I can safely feed her that will kill cancerous cells? Or atleast make it manageable so she can still have a healthy life? I have read alittle about artemisinin but it also sounds like it was used in conjunction with Chemotherapy. Any other ideas?
Oh M MikeAW2010 I am so very sorry. Unfortunately, I do not have any magic answers. You might ask daftcat75 if he has any good ideas. He's very knowledgeable and caring.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am SO SORRY. 😭

But you have given her love and affection worth 1000 lifetimes. You have made her happy, comfortable, and loved. Her quality of life is tremendous. She would never have lived as long or such a quality of life if you didn't save her. Though her life is shorter than what is fair, her quality of life is what is important.

I wish I had good advice as well. But just love her, cherish her, comfort her. Keep letting her know how much she is loved.

Hopefully daftcat75 has some good ideas.

I am so sorry. I know how devastated I feel so I can only imagine how you are feeling. :( Hang in there and just know you have given her a great, loving life and that she will be loved forever.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone is helping me with holistic treatments. It’s my last hope at this point. I guess now it’s love versus Cancer.

Sandy is so beautiful. And you are doing an amazing labor of love for her. She knows this. You are bonded together always. You know as a person of Faith that the Supreme Being loves ALL of His Creations. But there are so many things in life that do not have logical answers for us. We do not know why some of the sweetest, most innocent, best living beings have suffering and cruely and hard times. The thing I remember always, and I hope you know this too, is that the soul is eternal, and that, beyond this earthly life of hardship and harshness, is a continuation of the soul in a place beyond our wildest imagination, where the soul is in Perfect Love always, where no time exists, and where you will eventually meet all of your beloved ones, Ginger and others, again. We mourn ourselves, because we miss our loved ones' physical presence. We do not mourn THEM, because they have ascended and gone on to a far better place, in Loving Care! and they watch over us always until we are with them again, never to part.
Keep up the fight for your Sandy beauty.
My Suha was also born feral and is bonded only to me. She is 16 now. She found me as a kitten, wandering under one of our ancient junipers out in the Mojave where we lived at the time. Many changes have occurred since then. She is now the last surviving member of my large cat family and we have moved down to the city, a move forced by divorce and selling our beautiful home and land. I adopted Elvis four years ago; he is now 13 and very territorial. Suha does not like or trust him because he chases her sometimes. She stays mostly in the master bedroom where she feels secure. It is a large room with everything she could want or need. He stays in there most of the time, too, actually. They coexist pretty well. We have roomies now, and they love Suha and Elvis. Suha has made friends with my female roomie -- the first other human she has ever really felt good about.
You know that He can do anything! but you also know that there is so much we just do not have answers for. Sandy knows you love her unconditionally. Through all of the things you face in life, I hope you can take comfort in knowing that. *PRAYERS* from the heart for her, and for you.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone is helping me with holistic treatments. It’s my last hope at this point. I guess now it’s love versus Cancer.

Oh my goodness, THAT is BEAUTIFUL!!! I just spent 32 minutes with tears running down my cheeks and they are still flowing. Some of it from joy (seeing the love), some from sadness.

I lived through much of that but I learned some things as well.

Everyone should listen to that, not only cat lovers, but just other people. Learning about selflessness, what true love is.

Whew.

Sandy looked really good in the video. Such a loved, happy girl.

Keep loving her and doing your best. The gift you have given her is amazing.

Can you send this to your local TV stations? Sometimes local channels have a "Heroes" segment, etc. Also, can you seen it to CNN or other outlets? I REALLY believe people need to see this, hear this story.

I know you are not this type of person, but would a gofundme page be something you would consider? Not only to help with the bills BUT more importantly to get the story out and maybe, just maybe bring compassion to the forefront of minds?

We just don't hear stories like this as often as needed (in my opinion). People need to somehow hear this. There are many people that are so amazing, I wish they could all be heard so that the world might just be a better place in the future.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just want to add one other thing. While you may not be monetarily "rich" you are wealthy beyond comprehension. Your soul is full of goodness and wealth and that is what truly should be celebrated in the world.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy’s breathing has heightened again. I’m of belief she filled up with fluid in her chest cavities again. I want to hold off on euthanasia until I know for certain that holistic medicine won’t work which I won’t even begin to try until Monday as I’m still waiting for it. Problem is, I also have to keep her alive until it gets a chance to do it’s work. That means I would have to drain the fluid but if it’s coming back in just a few days I can’t financially keep up with it. Not sure what to do.

I did make a go-fund-me for her but I’m not sure if it’s okay to post it here or not per T-o-S.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy’s breathing has heightened again. I’m of belief she filled up with fluid in her chest cavities again. I want to hold off on euthanasia until I know for certain that holistic medicine won’t work which I won’t even begin to try until Monday as I’m still waiting for it. Problem is, I also have to keep her alive until it gets a chance to do it’s work. That means I would have to drain the fluid but if it’s coming back in just a few days I can’t financially keep up with it. Not sure what to do.

I did make a go-fund-me for her but I’m not sure if it’s okay to post it here or not per T-o-S.
Ask one of the mods. mani mani would you be able to advise him?
*Prayers* from the heart.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh I am so sorry. In the video she looked so good. :( Was she breathing with her mount open? Did she look distressed?

Ughhhhhhh, make sure you speak with the vet. HOPEFULLY she is not filling up again.

Prayers are with you both!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy filled up with fluid again. I had her drained by the vet. They gave me a strong pain med and something to help with pleural effusion so it slows down hopefully. That was another $500ish. Her cancer treatment holistic medicine is arriving via the mail from today thru Wednesday. Some of its has already arrived.

I’m going to have to begin to ween her from the prednisone (which is very risky with cancer as spread can accelerate) and replace it with AHCC / D3. The goal is to use her own immune system to identify and destroy cancer cells. Hopefully this works.

Right now she seems to be comfortable again and not breathing hard. Hopefully I can still get her through this.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy filled up with fluid again. I had her drained by the vet. They gave me a strong pain med and something to help with pleural effusion so it slows down hopefully. That was another $500ish. Her cancer treatment holistic medicine is arriving via the mail from today thru Wednesday. Some of its has already arrived.

I’m going to have to begin to ween her from the prednisone (which is very risky with cancer as spread can accelerate) and replace it with AHCC / D3. The goal is to use her own immune system to identify and destroy cancer cells. Hopefully this works.

Right now she seems to be comfortable again and not breathing hard. Hopefully I can still get her through this.
:( Ughhhhhhhhh. Poor Sandy. :(

Do you sense she is in pain? I hope the other medicine works to slow the filling up with fluid.

How is she acting? How is her stress level?

Yes, pred is a challenge. :/

Fingers crossed.

I am so glad she is comfortable again. how bad was she before she was drained?

I don't know much about the meds but fingers crossed they work.

Hang in there. :/ You are doing great and everything you possibly can.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks god they were able to help and that she is in a better way now. *PRAYERS* from the heart! for the medicines to help her and for the pred withdrawal to be successful. My thoughts are with you both.