Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was pretty bad before she was drained. She isnt great right now either but she is hanging in there but she seems to be losing her apetite which is going to make things harder for me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was pretty bad before she was drained. She isnt great right now either but she is hanging in there but she seems to be losing her apetite which is going to make things harder for me.
:(

Give her a lot of love and monitor her. Was the vet surprised she filled up so quickly?

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the vet said she wasn’t as full as she was before but it was moderate. They drained about 90ml or something. They told me if it was cancer she could fill up in a matter of days which is what I was worried about because it would be financially impractical to have her drained every week. Im really hoping the prescription slows it down or stops it altogether.

It has been a rough day mentally and emotionally. I woke up at 5am. Sandy was in the bathtub but she was responsive atleast. It took all morning to get her supplements into her food and then, she for the most part ignored it. Fortunately I have some leftover Entyce that I will use if it gets bad enough. I ended up giving her first supplements to her wrapped up in pill pockets and sardines to entice her to eat it, even that took work but she did get it down. She took her prescriptions this morning too. Fortunately at work my work load is a bit light right now so I went to do my second job and came back for my primary job and there was nothing there I could do at the time so I came back home around 1pm. Sandy was in the bathtub again. She was awake and alert but also uncomfortable and it was time for her second round of supplements (It’s therapeutic, I have to start aggressively then work down the dosage especially since I’m replacing the prednisone). She was probably in pain because the prednisone dosage is smaller and also being counteracted by the supplements which increase her immune response (with the intent of targeting cancerous cells) .. needless to say she wasn’t at all agreeable. I couldn’t give it to her in her food so I ended up getting a syringe and placed her supplements and CBD / THC oil blend into a small mixture and I had to scruff her (trust me when I say this is not something I feel comfortable with doing to her as she is still technically feral but has chosen to trust me) She was evasive but I was patient and just took my time to make sure she didn’t get too excited and after about an hour or so I managed to get it all in. I slowly watched her relax (Hoping she wouldn’t become ‘too’ relaxed) her eye pupils dialated and wide that fearful look in her eyes that she had when I first rescued her but she eventually fell asleep on my hand and laid her face on my palm and allowed me to talk to her while petting her.

she seems in less pain right now. I hope this is working.
E8B8F1E0-31B9-4CE1-9A9E-907162BCE38C.jpeg

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When it came to her third dose last night Sandy wasn’t at all agreeable. She has adopted to my scruffily her and would run to a wall and lean her back against it so I couldn’t reach her neck. Whenever I tried to scruff she would hiss. She put up a fight and I didn’t want to over excite her because her breathing was still heavy so I made a fresh batch of food for her and put it in her food. She ignored it too … she laid down and was looking severely labored. I gave her some space and rested nearby. She eventually got up and ate thus taking her third dose by food.

We both fell asleep. At about 5am, Sandy saw me wake up and immediately jumped down from the cat tree and barraged me with rubbing and purring. Her breathing is still a bit heavy but it was so good to see she had some stamina (she had almost none yesterday) . I’m hoping these supplements are working.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it came to her third dose last night Sandy wasn’t at all agreeable. She has adopted to my scruffily her and would run to a wall and lean her back against it so I couldn’t reach her neck. Whenever I tried to scruff she would hiss. She put up a fight and I didn’t want to over excite her because her breathing was still heavy so I made a fresh batch of food for her and put it in her food. She ignored it too … she laid down and was looking severely labored. I gave her some space and rested nearby. She eventually got up and ate thus taking her third dose by food.

We both fell asleep. At about 5am, Sandy saw me wake up and immediately jumped down from the cat tree and barraged me with rubbing and purring. Her breathing is still a bit heavy but it was so good to see she had some stamina (she had almost none yesterday) . I’m hoping these supplements are working.
All in all, your progress sounds promising. Keep up the good work. Sandy knows you love her and she does trust you, hisses or not.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the vet said she wasn’t as full as she was before but it was moderate. They drained about 90ml or something. They told me if it was cancer she could fill up in a matter of days which is what I was worried about because it would be financially impractical to have her drained every week. Im really hoping the prescription slows it down or stops it altogether.

It has been a rough day mentally and emotionally. I woke up at 5am. Sandy was in the bathtub but she was responsive atleast. It took all morning to get her supplements into her food and then, she for the most part ignored it. Fortunately I have some leftover Entyce that I will use if it gets bad enough. I ended up giving her first supplements to her wrapped up in pill pockets and sardines to entice her to eat it, even that took work but she did get it down. She took her prescriptions this morning too. Fortunately at work my work load is a bit light right now so I went to do my second job and came back for my primary job and there was nothing there I could do at the time so I came back home around 1pm. Sandy was in the bathtub again. She was awake and alert but also uncomfortable and it was time for her second round of supplements (It’s therapeutic, I have to start aggressively then work down the dosage especially since I’m replacing the prednisone). She was probably in pain because the prednisone dosage is smaller and also being counteracted by the supplements which increase her immune response (with the intent of targeting cancerous cells) .. needless to say she wasn’t at all agreeable. I couldn’t give it to her in her food so I ended up getting a syringe and placed her supplements and CBD / THC oil blend into a small mixture and I had to scruff her (trust me when I say this is not something I feel comfortable with doing to her as she is still technically feral but has chosen to trust me) She was evasive but I was patient and just took my time to make sure she didn’t get too excited and after about an hour or so I managed to get it all in. I slowly watched her relax (Hoping she wouldn’t become ‘too’ relaxed) her eye pupils dialated and wide that fearful look in her eyes that she had when I first rescued her but she eventually fell asleep on my hand and laid her face on my palm and allowed me to talk to her while petting her.

she seems in less pain right now. I hope this is working.
View attachment 391191
I am so sorry for the late responses. By the afternoon I get very tired nowadays.

"Well the vet said she wasn’t as full as she was before but it was moderate. They drained about 90ml or something. " - :/ Ok.

"They told me if it was cancer she could fill up in a matter of days" - Ughhhhhhh, not good.

" which is what I was worried about because it would be financially impractical to have her drained every week." - Yes, impossible. And it is hard on her as well which is the most important consideration.

"Im really hoping the prescription slows it down or stops it altogether." - Yes, agreed.

"It has been a rough day mentally and emotionally." - I know. These times are the absolute worst. :(

" I woke up at 5am. Sandy was in the bathtub but she was responsive atleast. It took all morning to get her supplements into her food and then, she for the most part ignored it. Fortunately I have some leftover Entyce that I will use if it gets bad enough. " - :(

"I ended up giving her first supplements to her wrapped up in pill pockets and sardines to entice her to eat it, even that took work but she did get it down. She took her prescriptions this morning too." - Great

"Fortunately at work my work load is a bit light right now so I went to do my second job and came back for my primary job and there was nothing there I could do at the time so I came back home around 1pm." - Ok. Just make sure you keep your jobs as well.

"Sandy was in the bathtub again. She was awake and alert but also uncomfortable and it was time for her second round of supplements (It’s therapeutic, I have to start aggressively then work down the dosage especially since I’m replacing the prednisone). " - :(

"She was probably in pain because the prednisone dosage is smaller and also being counteracted by the supplements which increase her immune response (with the intent of targeting cancerous cells) .. needless to say she wasn’t at all agreeable." - :(

" I couldn’t give it to her in her food so I ended up getting a syringe and placed her supplements and CBD / THC oil blend into a small mixture and I had to scruff her (trust me when I say this is not something I feel comfortable with doing to her as she is still technically feral but has chosen to trust me) " - Oh my

"She was evasive but I was patient and just took my time to make sure she didn’t get too excited and after about an hour or so I managed to get it all in. I slowly watched her relax (Hoping she wouldn’t become ‘too’ relaxed) her eye pupils dialated and wide that fearful look in her eyes that she had when I first rescued her but she eventually fell asleep on my hand and laid her face on my palm and allowed me to talk to her while petting her." - Whew.

"she seems in less pain right now. I hope this is working. " - I hope so. The picture looks good.

"When it came to her third dose last night Sandy wasn’t at all agreeable. She has adopted to my scruffily her and would run to a wall and lean her back against it so I couldn’t reach her neck. Whenever I tried to scruff she would hiss." - Oh my. :( It is very hard. If she is getting stressed that is not good.

"She put up a fight and I didn’t want to over excite her because her breathing was still heavy" - :(

" so I made a fresh batch of food for her and put it in her food. She ignored it too … she laid down and was looking severely labored." - :(

" I gave her some space and rested nearby." - Good

" She eventually got up and ate thus taking her third dose by food." - Whew, great!!

We both fell asleep. At about 5am, Sandy saw me wake up and immediately jumped down from the cat tree and barraged me with rubbing and purring. " _ GREAT!!!!! Awwwwwwwwww. Let's hope it is working!!!

"Her breathing is still a bit heavy" - :(

" but it was so good to see she had some stamina (she had almost none yesterday) . " - Agreed!!!

"I’m hoping these supplements are working. " - I hope so as well.

Hang in there. Keep an eye on her quality of life. It is really hard stuff sadly. Prayers to you both!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Getting any medicine into Sandy is like pulling teeth now. She hasn’t ate at all yesterday or this morning. Im pretty worried now. I can’t get her to eat anything. Cat treats, tuna, cat food, nothing

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting any medicine into Sandy is like pulling teeth now. She hasn’t ate at all yesterday or this morning. Im pretty worried now. I can’t get her to eat anything. Cat treats, tuna, cat food, nothing
I am so sorry.

How is she acting? Lethargic? Breathing heavy? Where is she right now?

She needs you to stay as calm as possible to keep her as calm as possible. We don't want her more stressed.

Try again in a little bit, HOPEFULLY she eats soon. Is she drinking at all?

Ughhhhhhh, hang in there. Hopefully she gets better and eats some soon. She needs her meds.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is still breathing heavy, not as heavy as before but she isnt having a great time. She is still wanting to rub against me and let me pet her. She did drink water a few minutes ago.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still breathing heavy, not as heavy as before but she isnt having a great time. She is still wanting to rub against me and let me pet her. She did drink water a few minutes ago.
Ok. Good that the breathing isn't as bad as before.

:( "Not having a good time" :( How so?

It is good that she still wants to rub on you. Does she have a little energy? Are he eyes looking good?

Very good she did drink some water.

Come on Sandy, hang in there so the meds can maybe work!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you syringe food into her mouth? Gerber Second Stages (small jars) baby food in chicken, turkey, lamb or beef is good for inappetant cats. Blending her wet food with water can be another answer. And the vet has things designed for cats who are reluctant to eat. Clinicare is one brand; it is a thick liquid. There are also gels for this. Some of these things are available over the counter from places like petco.com (Petco).
*PRAYERS* and best thoughts for sweet Sandy!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a puppy syringe from Petco and after a lot of hassle I managed to get about 1/4th a can mixed with water down her throat along with her meds. She isn’t a happy cat right now.

DE49E8D5-5159-414B-9468-772AD07DD65D.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a puppy syringe from Petco and after a lot of hassle I managed to get about 1/4th a can mixed with water down her throat along with her meds. She isn’t a happy cat right now.

View attachment 391401
You can also use a blender, food processor or mixer to blend the food and water to a syringe-able consistency and you can store it in a closed bowl or dish in the refrigerator for two-three days. daftcat75 would put the portions into plastic bags, run warm water over them and then give them to his Krista. Sandy looks so lovely! Are you weighing her? She looks very well weight-wise. Of course she does have her beautiful fluffy coat. *Prayers* continue. Getting her to eat 1/4 can with her medicines is excellent, I would think.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I typically feed her raw food once a day but its real hard to syringe raw food so Im substituting cans for now.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight I came home and Sandy was acting almost completely normal. She barraged me again. She even laid down on my leg. I hated that I would have to syringe feed her supplements as I knew she was going to become nerved by it. I left a few cat treats for her and she ate about half of them. Her appetite is still very weak, but she did have energy. She even tried to engage in alittle bit of play. Her breathing is still better than it was when I took her into the vet. The pain meds are probably helping her cope.

I syringe fed her the supplements and she became standoffish again and went to the other side of the room and stared at me like she couldn’t believe I did that to her (I had to scruff her pretty tight)… she eventually came around and is laying beside me right now. I hope this stuff is working.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I came home and Sandy was acting almost completely normal. She barraged me again. She even laid down on my leg. I hated that I would have to syringe feed her supplements as I knew she was going to become nerved by it. I left a few cat treats for her and she ate about half of them. Her appetite is still very weak, but she did have energy. She even tried to engage in alittle bit of play. Her breathing is still better than it was when I took her into the vet. The pain meds are probably helping her cope.

I syringe fed her the supplements and she became standoffish again and went to the other side of the room and stared at me like she couldn’t believe I did that to her (I had to scruff her pretty tight)… she eventually came around and is laying beside me right now. I hope this stuff is working.
"Tonight I came home and Sandy was acting almost completely normal. She barraged me again. She even laid down on my leg." - THAt is WONDERFUL!!!

" I hated that I would have to syringe feed her supplements as I knew she was going to become nerved by it." - Yes :/

"I left a few cat treats for her and she ate about half of them." - GREAT!!!

" Her appetite is still very weak," - :/

" but she did have energy. She even tried to engage in alittle bit of play." - WOW, GREAT!!!

"Her breathing is still better than it was when I took her into the vet. The pain meds are probably helping her cope." - Great

"I syringe fed her the supplements and she became standoffish again and went to the other side of the room and stared at me like she couldn’t believe I did that to her (I had to scruff her pretty tight)… " - Ok. :/

"she eventually came around and is laying beside me right now." - Great

" I hope this stuff is working." - Me too!!!

I am hoping she choses to eat on her own. Fingers crossed.

Is she acting more normal more lately? It sounds like it. Does she seem ok, not too stressed?

Other than the not really eating (though she did eat treats which is a good sign) it sounds like she is doing pretty good. Prayers........

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*PRAYERS* ongoing for beautiful Sandy! Mixed news, but the GOOD news is really good and we'll go with that, yes? Keep up the good work and may she rally with your loving care!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is looking grim now.

Sandy hasn’t ate on her own in 3 days. I have syringe fed her as much as I could cooperatively but even with Entyce she has virtually no appetite. She also isn’t grooming herself. I took her to the vet and they told me that her tumors have swelled to the point of blocking her airways which is why she is having problems breathing and it’s affecting other areas including her appetite. They say prednisone may increase her appetite again and that she may be able to survive just alittle longer.

I couldn’t put her down yet. Im going to try just alittle bit longer. It’s financially murdering me but I can’t do it. I’m supposed to be worki by my second job all night tonight but I took this night off to be with Sandy. I don’t know what I’m going to do, if I’m going to put her back on prednisone and use artemisinin (targets cells with high iron count and Cancerous Cells fit that category) or leave her off the prednisone and continue my current therapy with AHCC which uses the immune system to attack them. I don’t know what to do but I have a terrible feeling that I might not beable to save her.