Theodore has taken a turn for the worst, advice please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've no idea, they seem to grab each other in a headlock and kick each other in the head lol.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not the greatest photos but all his fur that he had missing from being shaved in various places has grown back and he's putting weight on. I can no longer feel his back bones when i give him a pat.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think after all this time, we have a winner!! Theodore is doing amazingly well, he's putting on weight and his shine is coming back and his playfulness is back with a vengence to the point of almost being annoying lol. I guess he has 6 months worth of playing to catch up on! His opening hasn't changed in 3 weeks now so everything is in great working order.

Our perseverance has paid off and we couldn't be happier. I will try get some better quality photos with my big camera today so you can see the difference from 6 months ago to today :)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't be more pleased to hear all this update. Way to go, Theodore! He looks happy and I know you are too.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray for Ted and you![emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, we are so so excited and over the flippin' moon! We've caught sight of his stream when urinating and it's not a thick stream - probably the thickness of 4ply baby wool? But it's a forceful stream and we can't feel his bladder once he has been. So we are really really happy with how everything is going.  In my next post I want to share some pics I took two days ago.

By the way, it's Theodore's 2nd birthday on the 12th! We didn't think he'd live to see it!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
He is so happy, so beautiful. I could not be happier![emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! See the silver ruff around his face? It never used to be there! I'm not sure if it was caused by a lack of light from wearing the cone so much or him just getting older. This area was never shaved though.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat!  By chance I happened to end up at the beginning of this thread and was bracing myself for bad news.  Thanks for posting the whole journey thus far; these stories are great for helping to know what to do, or at least what the options are.  This whole crystals thing has me nuts - or more specifically, why there isn't more research into this problem. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This whole crystals thing has me nuts - or more specifically, why there isn't more research into this problem. 
@reba - crystals and sludge form in concentrated urine. Plain and simple. Concentrated urine occurs when cats do not ingest enough water. Cats evolved from ancestral animals that lived in the African desert and therefore never developed a thirst drive for drinking water. They relied on the moisture in their prey for hydration. Mice and other small prey are around 65% moisture. When cats are fed dry kibble it is very easy for them to become insufficiently hydrated as kibble has less than 10% moisture content.

There is plenty of research done. It's a question of educating the public about the risks involved with feeding kibble to young male cats. Vets, with very few exceptions, are not out front about this issue. The problem is that vet schools are being infiltrated by the pet food companies such as Hills and Purina.

IMO, what needs to be done is issue a labeling standard on all bags of kibble with a warning similar to what is on cigarettes. That feeding kibble may lead to crystal formation and blockage which is a serious potentially fatal illness.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zone I knew about the crystals because my sister's cat got them.  When I ended up with two male cats myself I asked the vet and she said they weren't sure if there was a cause-effect relationship between dry food and crystals. In other words, she indicated that the cats were predisposed to get them anyway and the food doesn't make any difference.  In fact she discouraged me from only feeding wet food.

Well, I know think that's highly unlikely given all the anecdotal evidence on here and I just assumed that they weren't doing much research on it because of what the vet said.  Granted the internet wasn't around when I was growing up, but I never remember anyone saying their cat was diagnosed with crystals.

I also completely agree with your last sentence about the warning label and was just thinking about how it's getting absurd that we don't raise our safety standards for animal products.   Cat toys and the lack of labeling (or any safety standards whatsoever) is another pet peeve of mine - people think they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't safe, when there is no consideration whatsoever that the cat might ingest part of the toy and become ill. 

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been a while since I have been here...Franny died in July as you know but my boy Lemmy is hell on wheels...he loves life with out the stress of his sister...I learned a lot since she passed.  I miss her all the time.  But most of all I am so happy Theodore is doing well....good for all of you!

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi @robinathome. Glad you're ok and also lemmy. I know how you feel about Franny. I feel the same way about Precious who passed in June. Yesterday was horribly bad. I couldn't stop thinking about her. It's a roller coaster ride for sure.