Theodore has taken a turn for the worst, advice please?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we are trying out a home made foam collar until the inflatable one comes in the mail. We'll see how it goes!
he loold elizabethan with that collar.
I've just read from the beginning to here. All i can say is i don't know how you and your husband do all.this. I'd have given up by the time the second operation was necessary in the beginning..you're all amazing.who do this for.their cats. Go Holistic is one of those I admire do much. She has gone.through so much with Sebastian. You two are amazing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Stewball, yeah we've been through a lot with our boy! He is the most loving crazy nutcase cat and every day we get reminded of WHY we went to all this trouble. And I'd do it all over again if I had to.

It hasn't been confirmed that Mango has FHV but he said it was most likely. This was coming from the Vet that was at the end of his tether with dealing with Theodore. In the new year, I plan on taking Mango to the feline only vet 3 hours away and have Mango fully worked up. I'm a bit suspicious she has something going on but it's not causing her any major drama at the moment. I'm thinking some gastrointestinal issue due to her not pooping in the box and it varying from being really runny to being normal. She's happy enough but I still want to get her checked out. It's just about $170 for a full initial consultation then bloods on top of that.

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I had time to check back in and see what happened with Theodore.  I am so happy for you!!!!  I lost Franny last July after a 1 month battle you may remember.  This site really helped me along and also helped me to do the right thing and send her over the rainbow bridge.  It took about a month by her brother Lemmy is SOOOO happy now.  I seems I did not notice but Franny was really mean to Lemmy.  Franny slept with me every night and now Lemmy has taken her place.  He purrs all the time and he plays with me a lot nicer, no scratching.  His skin also got better, he used to have very dry flaky skin.   But I feel bad when I have to leave him alone for work because he has no one to play with.  I will not get another cat, I travel to much, and Lemmy as said seems really happy, but every once in a while I see him looking under the bed for Franny still wondering where she went.   Merry Christmas to you all!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore is still with us, happy and healthy and back to a really good weight! He still is the crazy adorable cat he always was. Persistence does pay off and we're so so glad we didn't make the decision to send him over the rainbow bridge.

Here is a short video of him here :)

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow this is great.  Thanks for the video.  What fantastic creatures they all are!  I have to take the time to print out this whole thread to remind me that it going through all this can have a happy ending.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Theodore is still with us, happy and healthy and back to a really good weight! He still is the crazy adorable cat he always was. Persistence does pay off and we're so so glad we didn't make the decision to send him over the rainbow bridge.
So great to hear! He's adorable and deserves a long, happy life with you!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! It's been 2 months since I last posted.

Theodore is still going great guns, he's a fat and happy cat and so ridiculously spoiled! However, there is a but! A few weeks ago, he had been a bit off himself, and was coughing and at times vomiting, though peeing well still, and for the most part, playful. We just thought he'd had a hairball so we gave him some laxative to try move it. One night, my husband was stroking him under the chin and found some rather large lymph nodes. So off to the vet we went, and he had a biopsy done, he had a very mild fever and really, no other symptoms. The vet prescribed a low dose of prednisolone and some clavamox for the infection. We were told that there was a chance the nodes could be cancerous but unlikely.

Biopsy result returned and he showed systemic yeast infection known as cryptococcus. He is now on a long regime of Itraconazole to clear this up. The lumps are slowly going down, even though it's only been around 10 days on the medication.

So, we are still here and plugging along!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Apparently, it's a direct transmission, through inhalation. We have Eucalyptus trees here as does much of Australia. The other way it's carried is through bird poop and pigeon poop is supposed to be the most common one. It cannot be transmissible from one animal to another or from feline to human. Because he is probably immune-suppressed still from the urine tract issues, that's probably how he became susceptible to this.

"Cryptococcus is a yeastlike fungus that is generally associated with tropical environments, such as those in Australia and Africa. Cryptococcus neoformans var. gatti has been directly associated with the eucalyptus tree in Australia, but this fungus, as well as the Cryptococcus neoformans var. neoformans and Cryptococcus neoformans var. grubii, also grows in bird droppings and decaying vegetation, and can be found worldwide, including in some areas of southern California and Canada.

Cryptococcosis, the diseased condition that results from internalization of this fungus, is a localized or systemic fungal infection caused by the Cryptococcus neoformans. The Cryptococcus fungus is contracted through the nasal passages, and from there passes into the brain, eyes, lungs, and other tissues. Lung infection and central nervous system malfunction leading to meningitis are the most common causes of Cryptococcosis fatality. Cats in the United States are seven to ten times more likely to contract the fungus than dogs are."