Theodore has taken a turn for the worst, advice please?

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore has taken a turn for the worst. I posted in my uthrostomy thread that he vomited on Monday night. A few days later he is no better.

I'll give a quick run down for those who never read my original thread here http://www.thecatsite.com/t/278225/uthrostomy-closed-over/30#post_3593186

Theodore had urinary obstruction that was unblocked, he was unblocked and he blocked again. He had catheters for weeks at time and eventually we opted for PU surgery. That failed after two weeks and we had it done again. Then he picked up and we had our loving goofy happy cat back for a good few weeks.

Fast forward to this week, he projectile vomited on Monday and ever since then he hasnt wanted to eat. He has lost weight and he just just generally unhappy.

We took him to the vet this morning as he vomited again at 2am this morning after we fed him some pureed cat food. The vet checked him over and said that yes he's defintely not well. His temp is 102.7 and his blood sugar level was 202. He has taken blood work but he feels that Theodores kidneys are shutting down. We will know more tomorrow.

Is there a chance that Theodore will pick up or is time to say goodbye. Is it possible that the bloodwork will show something else other than kidney failure? I'm devastated at the thought of losing him now.

ashley bukovsky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would give him another chance. Sometimes animals go through a really bad route of health issues until they bounce back. See if there are any additional tests you can do to see what is going on. If all else fails, then reconsider if it's time to say goodbye. Keep fighting! Stay strong! <3

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed a low carb wet only diet to help the blood sugar.  Friskies Pate is what I use but many options.  Or very short term meat until you get the results if that makes him eat.  I wish you good luck with him.  Seems you have been through a lot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading into acute renal failure, which is sometimes reversible. How much water should I give him over an hour to keep him hydrated until the bloodwork comes back? I'm not going to feed him any more food today but I do want to keep fluid levels up.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unlimited access as long as he is not drinking to point of puking.  High sugar can cause cats to do that too.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, he's not drinking at all. Food is causing him to throw up.  Right now he's just sleeping. I have given maybe 10ccs so far in the past 3 hours.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are sub-Q fluids a possibility? Not all that difficult to do. My elderly cat didn't mind the few times I had to do it for her. Your vet or  vet tech can teach you very quickly / easily.

Re the Fancy Feast - look for the Classic (pate). Both Tender Beef feast (brown label) and Turkey & Giblet feast (olive green label) have no corn gluten, wheat gluten, rice or other carbs that cats don't need / cannot process.

Good wishes for Theodore to turn around and improve.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny you mention fancy feast, that's what we feed both of the cats. I had just ordered $65 worth of s/d canned food for him and it's due to arrive today in the post. I'm sure i picked up one of the flavours you mentioned.

As for the sub-Q I want to ask my vet but I'm sure he will think I'm completely insane. He said to us this morning to just leave him be and rest. That said, he knows I"m a nurse and that I would have the competency to do it. I'm just not sure it's a done practice here in australia. I could always call and ask I guess.

Last edited:

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My prayers are with you.  I too am going through end of life care.  My posts are "2nd Opinion" threads from about a week ago.  Franny went for a 2nd opinion, to late.  She is so dehydrated she can barely walk.  My 2nd Opinion vet looked at her blood work and he is trying to bring her back for a while even though he believes she has bowel cancer(a small aggressive  mass there).  1st vet felt she had Lymphoma.  No matter what...it all seems to late.  Franny's kidneys are shutting down because she is wasting.  She has no muscle fat anymore.  So every day she is getting IV fluids(since 7/14/14) She was put on a special diet food by Science Diet for critical care cats.  She is on a vitamin/meds 2 x a day calledRenavast.   It powder and I have to open the capsule and put it on her food but she is not eating tonight.  If you go hydration route...the cat will eat as soon or within an hour of being hydrated.  So its a perfect time to get them to eat meds.  I am very glad that I got a 2nd opinion.  I will not be able to change the course of the cancer.  But tonight I really feel that she is just not coping any more.  You have Theodores best interest in mind.  There is never a simple solution to these issues....ever!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May want to ask for anti nausea pill after results are in as to take no water could be that too.  Usually cats will not stop drinking even after they stop eating. Fancy Feast and Friskies have been very helpful for my cat.  I think vets get used to many owners not wanting to deal with Subq fluids and do not always ask. 

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wonder if I"m better off waiting til the morning and the Vet has the results back before trying to feed him? Sure I will give him water, because he seems to hold that down. I'm really fearing the worst for him and trying to decide when enough is enough for him.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait for the results.  If they are really bad and you have to make that choice better to not have last day be one of forced feeding IMO. Do not loose hope just yet as it may be something you can help still.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just hoping it was something environmental that set it off because one day he was fine, the next he wasn't. It was a sudden turnaround from being fine to being sick. He stopped eating after he vomited the first time, and each time we have fed him he's bought it back up 2-3 hours later. Now given that he has a fever and vomiting, I"m hoping it is an infection of some type that we can resolve. I was surpised at his sugar levels given he hasn't eaten much of anything. I do know that meloxicam is a steriodal drug which can alter sugar levels much like prenisolone does in humans.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sugar can be raised from stress and illness. Just the stress of vet visit will push it up in many cats. I monitor mine ALL the time and now more then ever as I am pregnant.  When I was dealing with my own diabetic cats sugar being out of control(he had gotten into dry food)  my sugar was pushing 200.  Soon as he got better mine has been normal since!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sub-q fluids are like home dialysis for cats. They help support the kidneys by flushing out toxins. The toxins could be causing nausea and the unwillingness to eat. If the results are favourable, you might ask about trying sub-q fluids.

In the meantime, check for dehydration and try to syringe small amounts of water into him.

This is a good site on fluids. http://www.felinecrf.org/subcutaneous_fluids.htm

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks cocheezie. The vet said he was a bit dehydrated, I have checked his dehydration levels by doing the pinch test. The fur goes back down normal within 2-3 seconds so I definitely don't want to overload him with syringing him with water.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm feeling a bit better, though I still feel like crying non-stop over this. I guess I probably know what the results are going to be tomorrow. I can only pray for a better result :(

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cat is hydrated, the skin should go down immediately.

Regarding tests: call your vet in the morning and ask that you be notified immediately when the test results come through. Stress their importance. You don't want to wait around all day waiting until the vet has a spare moment to look at them.

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a quick read here, but my cat ate a house plant that I had no idea was toxic.  With in 3 days she was like Cujo.  So so sick.  She was going into Kidney failure.  I had no idea.  It cost me 3,000 in medical care to save her.   Keep us posted. 

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No houseplants because I can't keep a plant alive. I never did have a green thumb lol. I just can't think of anything else that would have hurt him, no mice poison or anything like that laying around.