The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a little confused. Is this a common thing in America? For strict inspectors?
Only in government or government subsidized housing. Our housing requires quarterly inspections, but those have been put on hold due to COVID. I imagine they will start up again this summer at some point. They are supposed to simply be sure that you are living in a decent condition and that there are no health/fire hazards in the apartment, but some landlords just can't help throwing their weight around.

I love the names too but am stumped on what the Jolly Good Fares is a play on. :confused2:
~WAVES HAND IN AIR~ I know..."Fare, a range of food of a particular type. " From my online dictionary.

Some of them have more piercings and tattoos than I do, and I'm sure they get to wear their hair however they want 😑 lol
Alas, no...this will be the last time (possibly in YEARS) that their mamas get to tell them how to wear their hair. Also, legally, a family may request to witness their loved one's cremation. Occasionally, I'm sure, just to MAKE SURE THE OLD SO-AND-SO REALLY GOES IN THERE!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They put ours on hold for 2 months last spring, but started right back up. They're even doing the inspections in the senior housing where my grandma lives. They call it "pest control" and they half-heartedly spray in the bathroom and kitchen while looking around for anything and everything to complain about.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom and I had matching “boy cuts” when I was in the 4th grade. Basically a permed pixie cut. She regrets is SO much now. After that I grew my hair out until it was waist length. I really dislike it over my shoulders now. I just found a picture of myself a few years ago after donating hair and it ended up too short. I’m holding a Marci from Peanuts figurine and WE LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE!! :paperbag::paperbag::paperbag::paperbag: :running:Right now it’s getting uncomfortably long. DH laid on it in bed this morning. :cringe:

I’m trying to be good with DD. When she was little she wanted hair like Rapunzel so it was very long. As long as she washes it and keeps it neat I’m ok with it at this point. She did want fairy sparkles like mine at one point. Aka these gray hairs I’ve got popping up! :lol2: Claires sells clip in colors but she wasn’t interested! I was! :lol2:

DS won’t choose a different style at all. Yesterday he told me he likes his sideburns.:flail:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No to completely change the subject, but I am going to change it.

There is a stomach bug going through our area right now. Last week, my daughter and our Hobbit Baby were in the ER for dehydration. On Sunday, I felt okay all day until about 9 pm. I went from, "I feel a wee bit nauseated" to vomiting uncontrollably in a matter of minutes. I text my husband and asked him to grab dinner for himself on the way home because I was sick. He was fine the first half-hour that he was home. After that, we just kept hoping we did not need the bathroom at the same time! We stayed upstairs for about 24 hours so that we were close to the bathroom. Since then, we have just been really exhausted. On Thursday, my daughter-in-law had to watch Hobbit for my daughter. He was sick last week, yet tonight my son texted and said that Hobbit gave it to them. My daughter-in-law is in the worst of it, while my son and their friend who rents a room from them have just started feeling a little nauseated.

My neighbors have it, and there are seven of them in the house. I feel so sorry for them! We have heard of several other families in the village and surrounding area who have it, too.

If any of you get it, you have my sympathy.
(It is not as if we are around many people. Even without COVID going on, we do not interact with many people.)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
No to completely change the subject, but I am going to change it.

There is a stomach bug going through our area right now. Last week, my daughter and our Hobbit Baby were in the ER for dehydration. On Sunday, I felt okay all day until about 9 pm. I went from, "I feel a wee bit nauseated" to vomiting uncontrollably in a matter of minutes. I text my husband and asked him to grab dinner for himself on the way home because I was sick. He was fine the first half-hour that he was home. After that, we just kept hoping we did not need the bathroom at the same time! We stayed upstairs for about 24 hours so that we were close to the bathroom. Since then, we have just been really exhausted. On Thursday, my daughter-in-law had to watch Hobbit for my daughter. He was sick last week, yet tonight my son texted and said that Hobbit gave it to them. My daughter-in-law is in the worst of it, while my son and their friend who rents a room from them have just started feeling a little nauseated.

My neighbors have it, and there are seven of them in the house. I feel so sorry for them! We have heard of several other families in the village and surrounding area who have it, too.

If any of you get it, you have my sympathy.
(It is not as if we are around many people. Even without COVID going on, we do not interact with many people.)
I am so sorry about the virus all of you had...it sounds horrible. Hope you all feel better soon💖

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only in government or government subsidized housing. Our housing requires quarterly inspections, but those have been put on hold due to COVID. I imagine they will start up again this summer at some point. They are supposed to simply be sure that you are living in a decent condition and that there are no health/fire hazards in the apartment, but some landlords just can't help throwing their weight around.

~WAVES HAND IN AIR~ I know..."Fare, a range of food of a particular type. " From my online dictionary.

Alas, no...this will be the last time (possibly in YEARS) that their mamas get to tell them how to wear their hair. Also, legally, a family may request to witness their loved one's cremation. Occasionally, I'm sure, just to MAKE SURE THE OLD SO-AND-SO REALLY GOES IN THERE!
Ok. All the other names were based on game show so throwing that one in confused me.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess the whole "Meal or No Deal being their new favorite food" discussion yesterday is now a mute point. Gracie ate most of hers but Boone immediately turned his nose up to it. I told him he better eat as he won't be getting anything else until about 7pm. Hopefully throughout the day, he will eat before Gracie decides that is hers too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... I knew it would happen. Gracie ended up eating Boone's food too and of course, then Boone suddenly wanted to eat. :frustrated:I did break my rule and gave in and gave Boone another can of food. He was smart this time and ate it.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently a mohawk isn't an "appropriate haircut for working in a crematory".....?
I'm in a hot dungeon all day, who's going to see it?!? I had to take my ear piercings out, but I can have as many tattoos as I want....? What the hell?
That's a bummer. There are still so many biases over certain cuts and colors with hair as not being "professional." I've also had to take out my piercings for some jobs. My work was fine when I had a mohawk, which was a large chain drugstore. Corporate came in one day and gave me this look, haha, but didn't say anything. At this point, I had been at this store for a long time and had a very strong rapport with my boss and many of the customers. No one complained, and the regular customers still knew I was the same helpful, patient, cheerful person and my hair didn't change anything. I wish that different styles become more normal and acceptable. So much of these standards were set out by society and their expectations of having to "look" a certain way. And other times it is people placing their insecurities on you as they are not comfortable doing it themselves. I've always been a huge fan of being yourself and encouraging others to have the courage to do so, too. Did you have plugs or another fancy ear piercing? (I'm a huge fan of how plugs look, but have never had them myself.)

What tattoos do you have?

Thank you everyone for the condolences. It was strange and sad going upstairs for water earlier knowing he wasn't there anymore.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a bummer. There are still so many biases over certain cuts and colors with hair as not being "professional." I've also had to take out my piercings for some jobs. My work was fine when I had a mohawk, which was a large chain drugstore. Corporate came in one day and gave me this look, haha, but didn't say anything. At this point, I had been at this store for a long time and had a very strong rapport with my boss and many of the customers. No one complained, and the regular customers still knew I was the same helpful, patient, cheerful person and my hair didn't change anything. I wish that different styles become more normal and acceptable. So much of these standards were set out by society and their expectations of having to "look" a certain way. And other times it is people placing their insecurities on you as they are not comfortable doing it themselves. I've always been a huge fan of being yourself and encouraging others to have the courage to do so, too. Did you have plugs or another fancy ear piercing? (I'm a huge fan of how plugs look, but have never had them myself.)

What tattoos do you have?
See, that's what would happen here if I got a mohawk. The people who know me and my work would absolutely understand that my hair (or anything else for that matter) doesn't change who I am or the love and care I put into my work. It's the owner who is very obsessed with appearance and "status" if you will. He drives a Tesla, therefore he's better than us and people will see him as more important (or so he thinks). I wish he'd loosen up on it, but in a way I understand that the death care industry is WAY behind in times. In fact, most people don't really know this, but most funeral homes are still pretty segregated. Not by choice of the funeral homes, but actually by the families choosing the funeral homes. Many cemeteries are as well.

As for my tattoos and piercings, they all have a really strong meaning for me. Nothing fancy on the ears, just stainless steel guys loops, but I got my left ear pierced when I went to go sing in Ireland and my right one pierced in Hawaii for my parents 25th anniversary.
As for my tattoos, I have the sun on the back of my neck and the astronomical symbols for the planets down my left arm (I have my Masters in Astrophysics), generic paw prints down my right arm (matching the planets in how they're placed) and a memorial on my right ribcage for a bunch of pets that came to my work with no names, no homes, no owners, so they'd never be forgotten.
IMG_20200218_223739.jpg IMG_20181022_183117.jpg IMG_20190904_134443.jpg
You can kinda see the sun, planets and paw prints in the weight bag picture.

But I plan to get a LOT more. Just hard with work because I can't have open wounds due to what I do.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went and signed our taxes so they can be filed. CPA said something interesting though. Because the stimulus check is based on your 2019 or 2020 taxes, he is going to hold off until we get our stimulus before filing our taxes. We were under the $150,000 limit in 2019 but because my husband's old company paid him nearly $10,000 for his unused leave, we were slightly over the limit with our 2020 taxes. If he filed now, we might not get the stimulus check so he is waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.