The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I spent one year teaching maths - perhaps the most frustrating job I ever had. Some kids like it, understand it and don't really need teaching. Just give them a push in the right direction and they are off: solving quadratic equations, proving theorems, calculating angles and working out the formula for adding all odd numbers from 1 to 100 :lol:. Others just don't get it at all - forget calculus; they can multiply a whole number by 2 and still get an odd number.
But, most people never need the maths they learnt at school. 50 years later, I certainly don't need (or remember) 99% of what I was taught and teaching at school and university. Unfortunately, future generations of engineers, computer programmers, architects and even biologists, to name but a few, still need to have been taught the basics in order to appreciate the more advanced and complicated maths.
Math and related classes were always easy subjects for me In high school and college. One you memorized the method/process to solve the problems it was simply a matter of applying it. Of course in life you only use the simple stuff.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, this morning. I had a 7:40 blood draw appointment his morning for my annual physical and so was up really early to feed and corral the cats. Unlike every other day in the last two month, Willow did not want to have her breakfast in her daytime sleeping/hiding closet. So I couldn’t let Lola out until Willow was finished eating which meant listening to twenty minutes of Lola screaming like she has been lit on fire (she is NOT a quiet cat).

Usually on chilly mornings after I am dressed I put on my favorite old flannel men’s shirt that hangs to my knees and looks like more of a robe that a shirt on me. It keeps me warm while I drink my coffee and the furnace warms up the house. Finally got the cats situated and rushed out the door for the drive to the clinic. It wasn’t until I got to the clinic and into the chair for the blood draw that I realized I had forgotten to take the shirt robe off before leaving! Quite embarrassed as I pulled both my coat and my shirt off. No wonder they looked at me a little strangely at the checkin desk.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought fabric a few weeks ago to make throw pillows for my living room for Christmas. It was kind of an impulse purchase. My bestie is making me a Christmas apron so I went to buy fabric for that and fabric to make back tabs for the new curtain liners I got. I saw a red with metallic silver snowflake fabric and I fell in love.

It always seems so easy to come up with projects; but then I hesitate with execution! I mean it's sewing squares! I want it tufted with a big silver snowflake and to add a braided silver rope trim to the edges. The local fabric places don't have the trim with a lip included so I'm ordering it online.

I can't find any kind of snowflake buttons. So I'm thinking of making large fabric covered buttons myself. It looks fairly simple as long as they cooperate. I see different reviews about that.

I had a mild panic thinking I didn't get enough of the fabric. I did! I just need to find something for the back. That shouldn't be too hard if I go with a nice silver gray or something. But maybe I can find a contrasting fabric for the back so they are 2 sided? Then I'll need to make buttons for the back side too. But it could be so cute!

And who said I have time for this right now? Me. That's who. I lie to myself apparently. DH: 🤐. :lol:

At least stuff is on sale? :crazy:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Trader Joes late this morning, around 11 am. I could not believe how crowded it was! It looked like the day before Thanksgiving! Mobbed with people. I do not think I have ever seen it that way. People were coming in with friends, yelling about items to each other. I really could not stand it.. Once, I answered one of them, with and "I'm Sorry".. She looked at me--kind of annoyed and said, 'I was not talking to you! I was talking to my friend, over there!""" Rude!!

They did not have what I was looking for. I was looking for a small 1/2 fresh turkey breast, already cooked, in a bag. A perfect size for me, since I do not care for turkey. I could not find it.. I asked after I checked out. They said they have them and will be getting more in...

I decided to make what I did last year: no turkey, LTS3 LTS3 chicken thighs withe whole cranberry sauce.

It was still crowded when I left, right just before noontime. Prices have really increased--ridiculous.
What should have cost me $35-40, cost me $57... ridiculous.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a holiday for a lot of people so that's probably why the store was crowded.

One person says she cuts up 3 Costco rotisserie chickens for Thanskgiving every year, and everybody compliments her on how juicy her turkey is, lol. She must de-bone most of the legs and wings or someone would have noticed it has too many limbs by now!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have a new phone because I dropped my old one and the screen cracked in an annoying way and was only half usable, and Verizon said I was due an upgrade anyway. It's nice, but is taking some getting used to. And it keeps double spacing between words.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, does it have automatic spacing? Supposedly it knows when to space so you don't have to hit the space key, so when you do hit it, it double-spaces. Mine had that but I turned it off. Whether it's auto-space or just regular double spacing, I'm sure there's a way to turn it off in settings. Google it if you can't find the right place; sometimes they really hide it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, does it have automatic spacing? Supposedly it knows when to space so you don't have to hit the space key, so when you do hit it, it double-spaces. Mine had that but I turned it off. Whether it's auto-space or just regular double spacing, I'm sure there's a way to turn it off in settings. Google it if you can't find the right place; sometimes they really hide it.
I think that's probably it, because I'm used to hitting space a lot. I'm still playing with all the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.