The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is probably gonna make me sound kind of horrible, but for the first time, I'm actually worried about covid.
Even though I wasn't too worried before, we've been careful and avoided unnecessary risks. I've been ordering all our groceries through Walmart pickup and wearing a mask if we had to go somewhere. We haven't made any unnecessary trips out in public. But covid hadn't really hit us here.
Small town, cases were sporadic.
Well, now we've been hit. In a town of 17,000 we had 200 new cases last week. And one of those 3 was an inmate at the jail where John works. He'd been in jail for a month and a half and somehow caught it. They think a new inmate was asymptomatic.
Our plan was, if an inmate tested positive, the kids and I were going to my friend's while John stayed home until we got the all clear. That didn't work because he'd already been working with the inmate in question and they called him to inform him on his day off. He'd already been around us. My friend works with disabled people so we couldn't go.
They take precautions at the jail. The guards always wear masks and never spend more than 3-7 minutes in a cell with an inmate.
John is being tested today, but even if it comes back negative, it could just be too soon for it to be positive.
I did some extra research and they've added infants under 1 to the higher risk category. Older children with no underlying health conditions are still low risk. So Ali is the only one of us with increased risk.
I couldn't find anything on breastfeeding relating to covid, but since nursing can help protect babies from other illnesses, I'm hoping it will be a benefit here, too. I caught strep while nursing Aedan and he never caught it from me.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is probably gonna make me sound kind of horrible, but for the first time, I'm actually worried about covid.
Even though I wasn't too worried before, we've been careful and avoided unnecessary risks. I've been ordering all our groceries through Walmart pickup and wearing a mask if we had to go somewhere. We haven't made any unnecessary trips out in public. But covid hadn't really hit us here.
Small town, cases were sporadic.
Well, now we've been hit. In a town of 17,000 we had 200 new cases last week. And one of those 3 was an inmate at the jail where John works. He'd been in jail for a month and a half and somehow caught it. They think a new inmate was asymptomatic.
Our plan was, if an inmate tested positive, the kids and I were going to my friend's while John stayed home until we got the all clear. That didn't work because he'd already been working with the inmate in question and they called him to inform him on his day off. He'd already been around us. My friend works with disabled people so we couldn't go.
They take precautions at the jail. The guards always wear masks and never spend more than 3-7 minutes in a cell with an inmate.
John is being tested today, but even if it comes back negative, it could just be too soon for it to be positive.
I did some extra research and they've added infants under 1 to the higher risk category. Older children with no underlying health conditions are still low risk. So Ali is the only one of us with increased risk.
I couldn't find anything on breastfeeding relating to covid, but since nursing can help protect babies from other illnesses, I'm hoping it will be a benefit here, too. I caught strep while nursing Aedan and he never caught it from me.
Some states have been letting healthcare workers come to work if they tested positive for Covid but are asymptomatic so I figured they couldn't infect anyone. I know they are desperate for workers but I'd be surprised if they'd put people in jeopardy like that. 🤷‍♀️

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I've heard is that if you have it when you give birth, it has not been shown to pass to the new baby through breastfeeding.

How long after exposure was John tested? I tested 5 days after my exposure (which was when I knew for sure I'd been exposed), so I'm hoping that was a long enough wait.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, jails and nursing homes are the common hot spots. Neither of them can do much about moving people who test positive.

Hehe, I don't mean to make light of anybody's problems, but on the news today they announced the state Game Fish and Parks director is going to retire, because he tested positive for COVID plus he hit deer in a vehicle 2 times in 24 hours, the last collision was severe, and experiencing all of those existential threats at once "rearranged his priorities". And that just made me chuckle a little because it's the most South Dakota thing ever to test positive for COVID and hit 2 deer all within 24 hours, poor guy, plus he's technically in charge of those deer. . .maybe they're taking revenge ;).

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had 2 cases in a nursing home a few months after this all started. An oncologist came back from a trip to Africa and immediately started treating patients. Both residents were isolated immediately and recovered and it didn't spread. But now, it's getting bad here.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally, the point is to slow the spread enough that the hospitals can keep up. We aren't doing that here; people are getting Medevac'ed out of state. So if surrounding states start having such high levels we'll be in big(ger) trouble.

And some people are reporting re-infection (or a very long-lasting single infection, we don't know!) so "everybody getting it" might not even be an effective way to end the pandemic :/.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie A lot of places are having Black Friday sales all month; so keep your eye out for it!

Thanks for the tip. I've been receiving e-mails from some pet stores with weekly deals, but haven't seen litter or food yet. Hoping I don't miss something good. But if any of y'all see tidy cats on very good sale, feel free to let me know :cool:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not at pet supplies plus either this year :( Well, it was great while it lasted the last few years. Guess I'll have to look out for better sales on chewy. I have about 9 containers from last year's black friday and a few pretty litter someone gave me, so should last me at least 4 more months. Hopefully there is a decent sale in the next few months to stock up some.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took the afternoon to do a little in-store Christmas shopping while it would be less busy and my mom could watch my kids. I did find a few deals and took care of several nieces and nephews.

I had just gotten to my mother’s house when I got a notice that my home security system was going off! A motion sensor got triggered. DH was at work farther away than I was. I decided to cancel the alarm because none of the entry sensors or other motion ones detected anything. And I text my neighbor who has a view of the back side of my house. I rushed my kids into the car and headed home. Thankfully it was a false alarm. Poor Mooch!! I walked around the house with a flashlight I keep in my car before we went inside. Nothing looked disturbed. I don’t know what could have triggered it but I pray never again!! 😩

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My poor arthritic Iris. She came in around midnight last night (I was asleep), tried to jump on the bed, and didn’t make it. I woke up when I heard her claws scrabbling desperately on the bedspread and the thunk of her hitting the carpet. It’s not the first time. She wasn’t hurt, but it’s so hard to watch the affects of aging on our friends. Hard to know what or if they understand. :sniffle:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor arthritic Iris. She came in around midnight last night (I was asleep), tried to jump on the bed, and didn’t make it. I woke up when I heard her claws scrabbling desperately on the bedspread and the thunk of her hitting the carpet. It’s not the first time. She wasn’t hurt, but it’s so hard to watch the affects of aging on our friends. Hard to know what or if they understand. :sniffle:
I'm so sorry. Fayola has been going through this too. Even though I've only had her a year now, we knew she was old already. She still tries to jump places and it scares me because she has missed several times. I wanted to get a big cat tree for them but seeing her do this has made me change my mind.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch stopped jumping a few years ago. She uses stepstools and pet steps to get to the couches, her chair and the cat tree. I have some stuff on the cat tree’s top perch because I don’t want her attempting it. She gets cosequin every day and it seemes to help. A couple weeks ago she shocked us all by jumping on the couch!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering why people are outside shooting guns in severe thunderstorms. And not it's not thunder. My cam caught someone in back street shooting a gun (he has a home target range)

Also wondering when Treasure will feel totally safe to stay here in this weather. He's been here daily for 2 years so he should know I'm not going to hurt him. And NO it is not my emotions as I personally love thunderstorms (I'm one of those crazy people that would chase one if I could) And yes I have lots of shelters for these cats, but he chooses to go in the cold wet bushes. Crazy Cat. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.