The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, where to start.
Ok, my mom always told me that my father was Shane. He's on my birth certificate but he left when I was 1. About 5 years ago, my sister tracked him down. He's not my father. My mom was pregnant when they met and he agreed that they would tell me he was my father until I was "old enough." I was 26 when I found out and talked to my mom and she admitted it. Wouldn't tell me much about my real father. Just that his name was Mitch and he was in a band (she told me the band name, but it's kinda inappropriate). And that she'd never even told him she was pregnant. And I knew she was going to college in Iowa at that time. She didn't tell me a last name. I did some googling, but to no one's surprise, I didn't find anything.
Cut to yesterday. I have a reddit account and found a subreddit where people like to find information and whatever. So I posted. Within an hour, someone messaged me a newspaper article about the band - with my father's name listed - and a link to his facebook page. All the other band members were on his friends list. This person had a subscription to a newspaper database. Why didn't I think of that?
I messaged him.
He didn't see the message until today. He remembers my mom. He wishes he'd known about me. He said he would have wanted to be responsible. He wants to meet me. I suggested a DNA test to be sure. He agreed and offered to pay for it. And he's driving down on Sunday to meet me. He lives about 3 hours away.
My mind is absolutely blown. I'm in crazy shock. And nervous. And excited. Kinda mad at my mom. I could have had a dad. But trying to not be mad because you can't change the past. And my head is absolutely spinning.

upload_2019-6-27_22-22-1.png

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
*TYSM* He came to me as Elvis and when his dad asked if I was going to change his name, I responded: "His name is Elvis!" Yes, he's quite a bit like his namesake, apparently. His dog pal in his former home is Priscilla. Oh gosh, I'd be embarrassed to share a picture of him being so brazen! Poor Tarifa is so patient with him, but sometimes, when she's fed up with his many daily attempts, she hisses and whaps him. He usually acts surprised, like "How could anyone refuse ME?" :insertevillaugh:
Ha!!! So he thinks well of himself!! So sweet. Love that Tarifa whaps him. The Vincie girl whaps Big Cal sometimes but she doesn't mind. Sister stuff. :)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, my mom always told me that my father was Shane. He's on my birth certificate but he left when I was 1. About 5 years ago, my sister tracked him down. He's not my father. My mom was pregnant when they met and he agreed that they would tell me he was my father until I was "old enough." I was 26 when I found out and talked to my mom and she admitted it. Wouldn't tell me much about my real father. Just that his name was Mitch and he was in a band (she told me the band name, but it's kinda inappropriate). And that she'd never even told him she was pregnant. And I knew she was going to college in Iowa at that time. She didn't tell me a last name. I did some googling, but to no one's surprise, I didn't find anything.
Cut to yesterday. I have a reddit account and found a subreddit where people like to find information and whatever. So I posted. Within an hour, someone messaged me a newspaper article about the band - with my father's name listed - and a link to his facebook page. All the other band members were on his friends list. This person had a subscription to a newspaper database. Why didn't I think of that?
I messaged him.
He didn't see the message until today. He remembers my mom. He wishes he'd known about me. He said he would have wanted to be responsible. He wants to meet me. I suggested a DNA test to be sure. He agreed and offered to pay for it. And he's driving down on Sunday to meet me. He lives about 3 hours away.
My mind is absolutely blown. I'm in crazy shock. And nervous. And excited. Kinda mad at my mom. I could have had a dad. But trying to not be mad because you can't change the past. And my head is absolutely spinning.

View attachment 290372
Oh, Alicia!! This is wonderful! and you are right, you can't change the past!
I'm so happy for you! :clap::hugs:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I messaged him.

View attachment 290372
Isn't it strange -- or not -- that most people have this deep desire to find out about their roots? There are many mysteries in my family, too, and from time to time, I obsess on them. But most, if not all, will always remain mysteries. It's great that your search has yielded information and I hope it will lead to good things in your future. If this man is your father, you can still have a relationship with him, if you both want. :vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Alicia88 Alicia88 That's so exciting! I hope it all works out! I am sure it's a bit overwhelming! It's always good to hear about new roots to help make life more tolerant.
Hope the job works out! Sounds like it will be a more enjoyable job than the last ones.

How's everyone holding up with the hot weather today? We still haven't put the AC in the window....I have been acclimating myself to the warmer weather so in the future I can get used to working outside since I enjoy gardening so much..but hate the heat. I found that if I dip my head in a 5 gallon bucket of water and keep myself soaked then it doesn't bother me as much.

Who else here hates humid heat?

I was going to set up at the flea market Sunday but looks like they are calling for showers so guess that's axed.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
How's everyone holding up with the hot weather today? We still haven't put the AC in the window....I have been acclimating myself to the warmer weather so in the future I can get used to working outside since I enjoy gardening so much..but hate the heat. I found that if I dip my head in a 5 gallon bucket of water and keep myself soaked then it doesn't bother me as much.

Who else here hates humid heat?

I was going to set up at the flea market Sunday but looks like they are calling for showers so guess that's axed.
:cheerleader: ME! My sister is pregnant and the heat combined with her work schedule has caused her blood pressure to raise. My heart is also skipping a lot more because the heat makes it work harder. That and my ongoing anxiety.

I started shaving Felix down because this is getting ridiculous. He was so happy, he actually started purring and I'm not even done shaving him down. His hair is just too dense for this weather. Same with the dog. He got a shave too. Looks chopped but it's better than overheating.

My poor vacuum, I could make another Felix.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Congrats on your sister's pregnancy! Yes the heat makes the heart work harder! Hoping she stays in and cooler to help relieve that feeling like her head will pop off..that's what heat does to me. My head starts to pulse and feels like it will pop right off.

I forgot to post pictures of Bee. She is absolutely adorable-got her shaved in the first week of June. It's been humid and she has asthma and I can tell she's having a hard time breathing when it's hot-so we have been making sure she gets her puffs right on time=I am a bad mommy and fell asleep a few nights last month and didn't give her her puffs.

Honeybee hisses and howls at the groomers but last time we were there, she kept jumping into the lady's arms instead of being on the table. Bee got her claws clipped which is good because they were razor sharp. Bee loves her hair cut=but she's back to grooming so much again so we may get her buzzed in the middle of July-she keeps puking so not sure if it's the heat or her overgrooming! I am sure your animals feel so much better without all the fur Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily !!! I think they know it makes them feel better! Bee prances around afterwards..Floey used to as well.

I HATE THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY
I would sit in the lake all day if I could. In fact that's my favorite thing. Float around on a pool noodle and just feel the water....

20190614_192415.jpg
20190626_164522.jpg

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to post pictures of Bee. She is absolutely adorable-got her shaved in the first week of June. It's been humid and she has asthma and I can tell she's having a hard time breathing when it's hot-so we have been making sure she gets her puffs right on time=I am a bad mommy and fell asleep a few nights last month and didn't give her her puffs.

I would sit in the lake all day if I could. In fact that's my favorite thing. Float around on a pool noodle and just feel the water....
The Bee is always beautiful. I'm sorry she hasn't been feeling well. We send her lots of hugs and scritches. :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Congrats on your sister's pregnancy! Yes the heat makes the heart work harder! Hoping she stays in and cooler to help relieve that feeling like her head will pop off..that's what heat does to me. My head starts to pulse and feels like it will pop right off.

Honeybee hisses and howls at the groomers but last time we were there, she kept jumping into the lady's arms instead of being on the table. Bee got her claws clipped which is good because they were razor sharp. Bee loves her hair cut=but she's back to grooming so much again so we may get her buzzed in the middle of July-she keeps puking so not sure if it's the heat or her overgrooming! I am sure your animals feel so much better without all the fur Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily !!! I think they know it makes them feel better! Bee prances around afterwards..Floey used to as well.

View attachment 290417 View attachment 290418
Awww, Bee is looking cool and lovely -- hope she feels better soon and that heat is less. Do you give her Petromalt or similar product, or a little margarine or butter, for the puking? If it's furballs, one of those may help, along with daily brushing. Even shorthaired cats shed a LOT at this time of year -- I'm getting brushfuls daily out of Tarifa, Baby Su, and Elvis! I LOATHE hot weather and summer. Dry heat is bearable if unwanted; humid heat is miserable, period, end of story. I lived in the Caribbean for a time and it was unrelenting. No need to dry off after a shower -- it was pointless. And waking up in wet sheets was very unpleasant. You get used to always feeling grubby, but it's not how I really like to spend my time!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But at least Aiden gets a Grandpa.
I know, I joked last night that we always want to give her kids the world and I went one step further - I found my kid a grandpa. John's dad was never around and died years ago. And both our grandpas are gone. So I didn't think Aedan would get to have a grandpa.

Be careful in the heat! We've got a big storm hitting here. My living room got as dark as night.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alicia, that's amazing! I really hope everything goes well for you. How exciting to be meeting your dad for the first time.

I have had quite the day. Somebody rear ended me this morning at a red light because they were trying to avoid a spider. :rolleyes3:

I just got all the paperwork done on my end for dealing with that and dropped off the accident report at my insurance agency. She got arrested for unlicensed operation of a vehicle. I have an appointment next week for my car just to make sure she didn't cause any major interior/undercarriage damage (exterior is fine but you can see the impact). I also have my chiropractor on speed dial because I'm half expecting to have more rib injury drama from everything. And because of all the phone calls and insurance arguments I did not have time for lunch and am feeling a hypoglycemic episode coming on (stopped and got and sweet coffee and chips at the gas station when I was done at the insurance agency but it's not really helping). Just.........gah. :frustrated:

Right now Libby is doing her thing and trying to make me laugh. She immediately jumped into my lap as soon as I got home and sat down. :catrub:

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, here (NYS, Buffalo region) when you get a ticket the officer issuing the ticket is called the arresting officer.

A ticket like this is worse than a drunk driving ticket.

One *really* good reason to always have a photo of that license on your phone.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd like to live without caffeine so I'm very happy that it's legal.
This: Scientists Just Discovered That Drinking Coffee Does Something Absolutely Amazing to Your Body is one of the reasons I think it would be a controlled substance (and I've read several articles like this in the last year or so). Aspirin is regularly prescribed as a lightweight blood thinner, and chocolate (dark chocolate, at least) also has health benefits, and we all know how the government feels about people self-medicating.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this post isn't so great.

My nephew is in the ICU at Women's and Children's Hospital in Columbia. His name is Shane and he's 9 years old. He's the sweetest kid. And he has a brain tumor. It's eating away at his bones. The MRI showed that it hasn't made it into his spine, thank God. But he has holes in the back of his skull and his jaw. They're going to do surgery, probably on Tuesday, but they won't be able to cut all of it out because of where it is. They're going to try to reconstruct the missing bones. And then, they're going to have to do chemo and radiation. There's a chance that he won't survive the surgery or that he will lose all function in his face. He might lose the ability to talk or move his facial muscles, or even move his eyes. If it had spread into his spine, it could have caused complete paralysis. So I'm holding onto that bright spot and hoping for more.
Everyone adores this child. My sister and brother are in law are with him. Their other 6 kids - including their newborn - are with their grandmother. The kids aren't allowed to stay with them. My sister's having a really rough time with that, but Shane really needs her there. The younger kids can visit for an hour a day, but since it's a 3 hour drive, going every day isn't possible.
Please keep Shane in your thoughts and prayers. He's an amazing little boy and he deserves better than to have to go through this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.