The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do You Live In Tx, La, Ms, Al, Tn, Ky Or Oh?

There you go. It really is easy...go to the forum, look at the list, find the thread. Right click to "copy" then "paste" where you want it. It will automatically form the link.
Thank you, they just lost two drivers, so there are new spots open. This trip will save these cats lives, if enough people can sign up.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I lucked out and my professor messed up grading my work. Or the professor just decided to take mercy on me. I was supposed to do a big powerpoint project with video voiceover last week, due Sunday. There were two other assignments due, we had Aislyn, and we had a lot of Easter activities, so I didn't fully do it. I did the powerpoint, but I didn't do the voiceover and I was short a couple of sources. I still got an almost perfect score.
upload_2019-4-24_19-3-51.png

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like we're constantly trying to compensate for her mother's bad parenting and we're coming up short.
You feel like you're coming up short because it's an impossible goal. You have her for such a short time, and her mother has her for the rest of the time - there's no way you can completely counter her mother's influence. What you can do is to give her love, which is something she doesn't get much of from her mother, and you never know just how much that will come to mean to her as she grows up, and beyond.

Well, I lucked out and my professor messed up grading my work. Or the professor just decided to take mercy on me.
Years ago I was taking a class in matrix algebra at a local college. Good class, with an excellent teacher; I greatly enjoyed it. Anyway, the final exam was a 2-day affair: go to class at the normal time, and spend an hour taking part one of the test; then go to the next class session at the normal time and spend an hour taking part two.

So, I took the first part of the test and absolutely aced it. And that night my brother called to say that his wife had just had a psychotic break and been diagnosed with borderline paranoid schizophrenia. One of the side effects of the medication they had her on was uncontrollable movement. Worse, an uncontrollable need to move, constantly. It was keeping her awake at night, and my brother was afraid that if someone couldn't stay up with her she might kill herself, and he couldn't do it because he had to work. So that night I packed a bag, and the next day I went to school and totally flunked part two of the test because I was so distracted with worry, and then I headed to the airport.

I stayed with my brother and his wife for several months, helping to care for her, helping to decide when she needed actual hospitalization, helping my brother do research on schizophrenia and possible causes and treatments, etc.. And some time while I was there the grades came out. Much to my surprise, I got an A! When I finally got home I went in and had a little talk with the professor, who at the very least deserved an explanation. He was glad to see me, and glad to get the explanation; he knew something horrible must have happened from the results of part two of the test, so he basically threw out part two (for me only) and based my grade on part one and the work I'd previously done in class. As I said, he was a good teacher. He paid attention, and he was secure enough to bend the rules when he could tell that they shouldn't apply in this circumstance.

Margret

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get this off my chest and seek clarity - it's been plauging my mind.

Felix had bloodwork done 2 weeks ago and when he went in for the dental, they took blood yet again. I told them that he already had it done and their excuse was that the doctor wanted to make sure things were still okay. How does that make any sense if you took blood work 2 weeks ago?

He's been doing great and the last time, they weren't going to charge for it but then all of a sudden, they charge me for blood work which showed basically the same results from the first one because he already had it done 2 WEEKS AGO! A whole $86. I know that doesn't seem like a lot but for a sick cat, every dollar counts imo.

Now, they told me to come in in 10 days so they can check the stitches and vaccinate him but I literally have no money left. We had thousands in savings for him but after the radioactive iodine, several blood samples, and medication, we just don't have anything left. I'm not against vaccination but he's 8 years and 8 months old. He hasn't been vaccinated since he was 9 months old or so. I had no intention in vaccinating him now. He's healthy. They know he's healthy. He's (for the most part) always been healthy so why vaccinate now?

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily ,
I would complain about being billed for the 2nd set of bloodwood. I'd probably state this seems unnecessary to me & was unexpected. I would ask how much to expect for the 2 week follow up. I tend to be upfront about needing to know costs & if certain things (shots) are necessary.

I hate to say it, but some vet clinics seem to try to get as much money out of you as possible. Or that was my experience years ago. My current vet is conscious of costs & works with us to provide affordable care. I imagine when she retires our costs will double or triple.

I'd mention due to recent vet expenses that I need to wait to schedule vaccinations. Actually, I surprised they did his dental without requiring a rabies shot first (a must in my state). I do not remember being charged for after surgery follow ups, but it could be my vet. I think many wouldn't bring them back if there was a charge or unless there is an issue. I imagine my clinic takes this into consideration & includes it in with cost of the procedure.

Vet care, in my area, doesn't seem to be high on people's list of priorities. It likely has to do with education/income levels & attitude toward animals. Some clinics seem to put you in that group if you question costs or tests. I try to be straight forward about wanting the best care I can reasonably afford, but like to know why its best for my animal.

Hope they will refund or discount that $86.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been going to this clinic since he was 4 weeks old. It's hard to find other veterinarians who are honest and do what's best by your pet here in my experience. Almost every single vet I've been to has been terrible in some way.

I purposely book appointments at random ones sometimes when I have a new pet just to feel them out. It hardly goes well. Either their attitude or their aren't understanding and give me a hard time about something. Most even flat out tell me I'm harming my animals by making certain choices. I'm not stupid. I do a lot of research, I ask questions, I educate myself. It's just becoming so tiring.

Whenever money gets the best of people, they lose their moral standing and courtesy.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone else here has or has been experiencing dermatillomania. It's something I've been struggling with a for a few years now and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stop. I'm enrolling for CBT but there's a long waiting list, and would like to be able to recover ASAP.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I need to get this off my chest and seek clarity - it's been plauging my mind.
A couple of thoughts...First, the blood work. Yes, it was probably NOT necessary, but they are covering their fannies. Had they done the surgery and something went wrong, and the bloodwork was NOT done, it could be a matter for a negligence suit, although vet mal is so badly handled, they would probably have just gotten a fine, regardless. I WOULD talk to them about it, reminding them that you thought it unnecessary, and that you object to the charge. It may or may not help, but it won't hurt.

Next, YOU have the final say in vaccinations. If you don't want them done, tell them NO. Tell them that you will gladly bring him back for vaccination once you have a bit of money built back up, or they can do it NOW, but ONLY IF they are willing to wait on payment.

The mailman just delivered my pre-ordered copy of "Cat Chase the Moon," the next Joe Grey book. Can't wait to read it!

I know that we're all fanatics about our cats, but this couple went above and beyond for their cat who LOVED toilet paper as a kitten to the point that they have to lock him out of the bathroom...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that we're all fanatics about our cats, but this couple went above and beyond for their cat who LOVED toilet paper as a kitten to the point that they have to lock him out of the bathroom...
Thanks - I needed the laugh.

Since they apparently have a room to spare for it I'd say that it was well worth the effort, considering the amount of delight involved.

Margret

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a lighter note, with the warmer weather, I have been working in the yard, but it isn't quite the same this year. In the past, whenever I was outside, Miss Eleanor would come around to 'supervise. Sometimes, she would get up on my lap, and other times she would actually crawl up onto my back. It was a pain in the butt trying to work around her at times. Well, now she is strictly an indoor cat, and I kind of miss her being that pain in the butt, however it is better for her that she is where she is.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only that, I was also angry because he hates having his blood drawn and they always restrain him and stress him out.

I ask to come to the back to comfort him and they always deny me this while I hear him screaming in the back. This goes on for 20+ minutes.

They had to bandage his foot because he was upset and wouldn't let them remove the needle and there was blood all over his paw from them restraining him and pulling it out. They then wrapped his foot so tightly that it swelled up so much.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only that, I was also angry because he hates having his blood drawn and they always restrain him and stress him out.

I ask to come to the back to comfort him and they always deny me this while I hear him screaming in the back. This goes on for 20+ minutes.

They had to bandage his foot because he was upset and wouldn't let them remove the needle and there was blood all over his paw from them restraining him and pulling it out. They then wrapped his foot so tightly that it swelled up so much.
Okay, that's just wrong! I've had blood draws where they wrapped my arm so tightly that I had to cut the sticks-to-itself tape to get it off, and it's a sign of incompetence on the part of the phlebotomist. If they can't restrain a cat well enough to do a blood draw without causing actual injury to the cat then they should certainly allow the cat's human to assist them in calming the cat. I have to wonder what they didn't want you to see. In future, if this had happened to my cat, I would refuse to allow any procedures (except actual surgery) unless I could be present. And the fact that they botched the blood draw that you tried to refuse should be near the top of your list when you contest the charge for it.

Margret

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone else here has or has been experiencing dermatillomania. It's something I've been struggling with a for a few years now and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stop. I'm enrolling for CBT but there's a long waiting list, and would like to be able to recover ASAP.
My sister has it. Doc says it it caused from stress. What is CBT? So sorry you have
this. I don't know what it is like first hand but she has been struggling with it for a long time.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

Poor little guy. Maybe they should sedate him orally before a blood draw so he is calm and doesn't struggle.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can understand your being upset with your vet. That sounds more like torture than treatment. We have been going to the same vet service for something like 10 years now, and have NEVER had such an experience as that. All blood work was done 'day-of', not way in advance, and if one of our cats needed it, we were allowed in the room.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My cats don't get vaccinations at all. When I get one it usually has all that are required already and one that I don't know where it came from (Capucchino) gets one set and that is it. Capucchino is now 19 years old and the only time she has been sick, and not very much as she just had a cold twice in the last 6 months and then some skin infection also, so she has had 3 antibiotic shots in her whole life besides the vaccinations she got when I first got her at the age of ca. 6 months. Obviously this has worked out just fine. So do cats need all these shots, treatments, teeth cleanings, claw clippings etc? Mine don't get them so I think they are doing just fine without them. Their histories show that I am correct.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In future, if this had happened to my cat, I would refuse to allow any procedures (except actual surgery) unless I could be present. And the fact that they botched the blood draw that you tried to refuse should be near the top of your list when you contest the charge for it.
ABSOLUTELY, this, YES! Is there any way you can find another, more reasonable vet? It sounds as if it might be time to consider that.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lucifer - season 4
May 8
WHOOOO HOOOOO!

A friend sent me this story in a PM at another (political, actually) site, and I repeat it here with permission.

"
The night I backed the big U-haul up to the porch of my new house in this small Texas town the only creature to show up to help us move in was a very distinctively marked black & white adult male cat. He was so skilled at trying to trip us to get our attention as we were unloading stuff that I decided to distract him with some food. He became a regular visitor I named Buddy because he was just sooo friendly.

I saw him around often enough to notice his usual hang out and figured that was where he lived. Driving home one day I saw Buddy and another male in "his" yard and it was obvious they were going to fight. I pulled over to bust it up. Before I made it around my car a thirty-something year old woman came charging out of the house, glanced at me, and landed a vicious overhead swat on the back of the intruder's head with a fly swatter that sent him on his way. Before Buddy could react she swept him up under his front legs with one arm and carried him into the house.

I saw her in the check out line at the only grocery store in town a week or so later and said "Hi," and she asked me where I knew her from. I told her I only knew her as the woman that brought a fly swatter to a cat fight."

Flyswatter to a cat fight...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.