The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, my brother's girlfriend just posted a picture of my nephew screaming in the Bunny's lap. Are there any little kids who enjoy that?

I did NOT like costumed characters when I was little. I think I would have punched them in the crotch if one had touched me.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the costumes now! I went to the mall the other day and I saw the easter bunny sitting all by themself. They waved but I just kept walking as dull unblinkable eyes followed me until I was out of view. If I cannot see who is underneath that head, it makes me uncomfortable. Always has.

Another example is one day at my college, the mascot was going around and giving free hugs. Guess what?... didn't want one!

It's either the costume itself or I just have a problem with people pretending to be someone else.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Aislyn is home now and she was just rotten this weekend. I don't know what her deal was. She's never been this bad. Just acting like a spoiled brat.
So, I took the kids to a big Easter egg hunt even. She pouted the whole time we were there. I let her go to any booth she wanted and it was almost time for the egg hunt. Aedan was getting cranky and needed to get home so we were going to leave right after that. She wanted to make a bracelet and get her face painted but both lines were long, so I told her she needed to choose one. She chose the bracelet then had a fit that she didn't get her face painted.
Then, we got home. I bought a carton of 18 eggs each for the kids to paint. So that's 36 eggs. She started complaining and wanting to color them all herself because its "not enough" and "he's too little to do it anyway." I said, "He can do them with help and he's not going to be left out. You have to share." She smarted off, "If you say so." Oh, that made me mad. I told her if she kept mouthing, she'd go to time out and that I was really trying to give them both a good Easter and if she kept complaining about everything, I'd just let Aedan do all the eggs while she sat in her room. She stopped.
The rest of the night was pretty peaceful, but she kept saying she hoped the Easter bunny brought lots of toys because she doesn't have enough. The child has a room and closet packed with toys! The Easter bunny came and they seemed happy all day Sunday. Then today, she kept saying she wanted to trade chairs with Aedan because his was more comfortable. Her's is made with bean bag filling and his is foam. I got her the LOL chair because she's obsessed with LOL. I thought she'd be really happy with it. She just made me feel like nothing I did was good enough all weekend. And no, I didn't let her trade chairs.
I have no idea why she was acting like that! She's misbehaved before, but she's never been so spoiled or mouthy! She was here two weeks ago and we had a great weekend. This time, it was like she'd been replaced with a completely different kid!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 , Aislyn doesn't have enough toys, for the simple and unfortunate reason that toys are what her mother gives her instead of love (at least, that's my take on it). There will never be enough toys to satisfy her need, because toys can't fulfill her need for love.

All you can do is give her love when she visits, and hope that some of it will stick with her. It isn't a good answer, but it's a heck of a lot better than what she'd have without you. Poor child. She must be very unhappy. Please note that I'm not suggesting that you let her get away with bad behavior; she does need discipline, and giving her that is part of loving her. But you may be more effective if you know what's really going on. Also, bear in mind that you must never discipline her by withholding affection; I'd bet that her mother does that to her all the time, and it's very bad for her, and for you, and for Aedan.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never withhold affection; she still got hugs and a bedtime story and tucked in and a good night kiss and I still played with her. But her attitude made me want to scream into a pillow. And I'm beginning to wonder if we get the kids too much stuff. I don't want them to be completely materialistic and associate holidays with nothing but presents. We do family activities, but we also give them a lot of stuff. We're not rich, but we budget and I shop throughout the year and they always make out like bandits. I'm wondering if we should maybe try to tone it down in the future and shift the focus to family instead of things. But I don't really know how I can add more family time. I mean, we went to the big egg hunt, we painted eggs and hunted those eggs here, we went to the park every day this weekend . . . but all she cared about was the stuff. And we didn't go that big with Easter. Just the little chairs, a stuffed animal each, a toy each, and a bunch of candy. I feel like we're constantly trying to compensate for her mother's bad parenting and we're coming up short.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like we're constantly trying to compensate for her mother's bad parenting and we're coming up short.
From seeing my friends who have stepkids or visitation, that's probably how it always will be :sigh:.

Is it possible to get her into therapy while you have her? You can ask at Social Services what kind of resources are locally available. They might have some "dealing with non-custodial situations" kind of classes for the adults too.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John backed down when her mother finally enrolled her in school. He's terrified of losing her completely so he doesn't want to try. And we only have her for school holidays and the summer. Summer might work, but I think both parents have to agree for a child to see a therapist and her mother doesn't.
I'm glad they caught that witch.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I'm beginning to wonder if we get the kids too much stuff. I don't want them to be completely materialistic and associate holidays with nothing but presents. We do family activities, but we also give them a lot of stuff.
I went through the same questioning...what is "too much?" when my boys were small. Finally, I sat them down and talked with them, and explained that they had more toys than they could play with, and from now on, when we got a NEW toy, they had to pick an OLD toy to be donated to a child who didn't have any toys. There was a lot of squawking at first, but they got into it after awhile. I HOPE that it is part of the reason they now, as adults, still have a "habit of giving."

7 felony counts against her. At least CA has good animal cruelty laws.
I read she also had around 30-40 other dogs. Don't know what condition they were in.
Watched the video. I have to say, when I saw that THING tossing her hair and twitching her hind end, something in me wanted to reach out and shake her, very hard.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're about to have 3 ticked off puddy tats. Connor has been slipping outside without being noticed. So we just ordered 3 reflective cat collars and ID tags. Sneaky brat. He got out last night and we found out when he sat on the ledge of the bedroom window crying to be let back in.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix's dental went great. The VT said that it's great he still had all his teeth at 8 years and 8 months because most cats don't. Apparently, their teeth were only meant to last 5 years?? She also said he'll need at least one more dental in his lifetime.

He had 2 teeth pulled because of the resportion. But otherwise, his teeth were great. Makes me feel great because I've been looking after him well. Now, antibiotics and pain medication and he should be okay.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any drivers willing to volunteer a few hours this weekend to help transport 3 kitties? Please check out Surya's post "Alabama Help " & "Tennesse Help" in Caring for Strays & Ferals. Sorry I could figure out how to post the link. If someone is willing to link it on this thread, I would be grateful.

Please consider helping if you are near the transport route. This journey is their chance for a loving, forever home.

Status
Not open for further replies.