The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't make it into the vet tech program. . . :ohwell: Not sure where to go from here. *deep sigh*
Ah, Sweetie, that's the pits! Are there other programs at other schools you could try? Different schools have different criteria for entry, and what is desirable at one is not at another. Odd, but there it is.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement! The program was for Sheridan College. I might be able to try for another program but I'm not sure what else I'd be passionate about. I know some people blame the test and I don't like doing that but that HOAE was all over the place imo. The "math" questions were very trippy and didn't make sense. There were also questions unrelated to math in said math section. Then, some sections were longer than what I had prepared for. I studied for about 7+ hours for 2 full weeks prior. I learned long division, multiplication, subtraction, long multiplication with decimals, temperature conversion, percentage, etc. I felt ready. Total bummer.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just dropped Burdock and Miss Eleanor off at the vet's to get their teeth cleaned and an annual check-up for Burdock. The estimate for the 2 of them is $1300 to almost $2000. Ouch! And we still have 4 more to go.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just dropped Burdock and Miss Eleanor off at the vet's to get their teeth cleaned and an annual check-up for Burdock. The estimate for the 2 of them is $1300 to almost $2000. Ouch! And we still have 4 more to go.
I don't know how people can afford to have pets these days. I used to have to get all 8 of my cats teeth cleaned every year. They were all related. Back then it only cost $100.00 a cat.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the anesthesia that is so expensive?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't afford to have my girl's teeth cleaned. I would love to have more cats but living on disability income I cannot afford their health care.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NY cat man@ Wow that's so expensive! Over 10 years ago my previous vet charged between $500-600 I believe. However, my kitty starting other health issues & we needed to change vets. It was at least 2 years before new vet felt kitty needed that dental cleaning. I think she was almost 14 by then. Certain it was under $200.

If/when our current vet retires, we will most likely pay double for anything more than basic care.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it the anesthesia that is so expensive?
Yeah, It's the anesthesia, and the blood work, and a bunch of other stuff. Burdock is going on 9 years old, and Miss Eleanor is 4, so at least it's not an every-year thing. The others are 8 and 7, and have never had a cleaning before. The other thing is, the $2000 quote is if there are extractions to be done.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't afford to have my girl's teeth cleaned. I would love to have more cats but living on disability income I cannot afford their health care.
Well, both Michele and I are retired now- she retired 2 years ago. Fortunately, we were able to save enough over the years so we're doing all right- not ritz, but all right. We knew that it wasn't going to be cheap to keep 6 cats healthy, but that's what we signed up for, and better with us than still running the streets.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My cats have never had their teeth cleaned and their teeth seem to be alright. At least the vet has never said anything on the few occasions that they have had to see him. He does check their teeth and ears every time so it's not like he is not thorough. I also do not get shots for my cats after they are out of the baby stage. That seems to be ok also considering that I have had Capucchino since kittenhood and she is now 19, has never had a serious illness, just twice a cold and recently a skin infection where she licked herself bald on her belly (it is almost back to its usual length). Just her teeth are dirty but the vet thought that at her age he did not want to put her under for a teeth cleaning. The other two's teeth are nice and white and they are both considered to be "old" as they are over 12. Of course none of my cats go outside so they are not prone to catch something and all 3 still are active, even Capucchino can be found on top of the cat tree. I think the less we mess with them and stuff them full of chemicals (medications, supplements etc) the better off they are. Sometimes medications are necessary, same goes for their caretakers, it certainly has served me and my cats well, my children too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we just got them back home, and the bill came to 'only' $1100. Around here, a rabies shot is required every 3 years. Also, a distemper shot is required every so often- even for indoor cats. That is the law.
It's the law here too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it. They never go outside and I don't ever see a stray. And if I do pet another cat/dog, I wash my hands and change my clothes before I pet mine.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever used PayBright or financial assistance like that to help with vet bills? You all are talking about teeth cleaning and I need to have that done for Felix too and they quoted me around $1,100.
No, we pay cash or credit card for everything. I have heard about insurance plans for pets, kind of like an HMO, but never checked into one to see what was available, or what was covered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just had a hummingbird moth poke me in the leg trying to get nectar from the zebra print pajama bottoms I'm wearing. It was cute, but I feel sorry for it. I haven't seen any of the flowers that they normally feed on.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just had a hummingbird moth poke me in the leg trying to get nectar from the zebra print pajama bottoms I'm wearing. It was cute, but I feel sorry for it. I haven't seen any of the flowers that they normally feed on.
Really? I've only seen one of them once. It was the day of my mother-in-law's funeral, and I haven't seen one since- and that was in 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.