The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A mechanic on tap is a Godsend when shopping for a used car. And at $800 for this one with three years of decent service, you don't know whether to scrap it, or bury it in the backyard with a small memorial service for close friends!

HEY GUYS! The petition below is in support of making it illegal to euthanize animals at shelters while there are empty cages. If you believe that this is tantamount to murder, take a moment to sign, please!

Sign the Petition

Last edited:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another day in Texas.

In addition to all the unknown chemicals spewed into the air by a major chemical plant fire in the Houston suburbs, we're under an ozone alert. The fire's smoke plume reached us, 50 miles away, and we could clearly smell it easily. Now schools and businesses in the area are shut down even though the fire is out. The company won't say what all went into the air, but we do know some of it was benzene and naphtha. Lawyers are swooping in like vultures. I'm sure the company will just declare bankruptcy and that will be it.

And here's a reason to move to a new home - quickly.

Snake remover responds to report of a 'few' snakes, finds 45 rattlesnakes

I guess locusts are next.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter just called to do a check on Kumal. I mentioned that he is not putting on weight and apparently he has a free visit at the clinic. So, I will make an appointment for him and find out what's going on. He gets 3 cans of kitten pate and free fed dry, so after a month, you should not be able to still see all his bones.
Onsa's eye looks a little swollen, so I will be putting eye drops in her eye soon. I hope I have enough bandage for the bloody stump I'm going to end up with (my hands and arms).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably dust or pollen. Do you have any non-medicated saline eye drops in the house? If she can't get the irritation out herself, saline drops can help.
I want to thank you. Although I figured it was just dust and probably needed flushing, I honestly never thought of saline drops. Her eye looks so much better today. I'll do it again later just to make sure, but I am not panicking anymore.
If it does start up again and continue, she'll go to the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Saline drops are great! I have chronic dry-eye, so there's a bottle of them in every room of the apartment, plus one in my purse. I've grabbed one more than once when Hekitty's eyes looked a bit inflamed. So far, that's all that's been necessary!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching the news this morning. You know how sometimes when they come back from a break they show a live picture of someplace? They showed a picture of NYC. I had to screen shot this one. Tell me, on the right side (facing the tv) on the road, does this look like a plane to anyone else? Minus the wings and tail.

Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching the news this morning. You know how sometimes when they come back from a break they show a live picture of someplace? They showed a picture of NYC. I had to screen shot this one. Tell me, on the right side (facing the tv) on the road, does this look like a plane to anyone else? Minus the wings and tail.
View attachment 278343
It totally does :eek2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a plane :D. I found this:
"The fuselage of the 1958 Lockheed Constellation is spending the weekend in Times Square as part of an upcoming documentary about the redevelopment of Eero Saarinen's landmark TWA Flight Center into a hotel."
Later it'll be moved to JFK airport, where it will be a bar.
Vintage TWA Plane Lands In Times Square Before Becoming An Airport Bar At JFK
Thank You. I thought I was seeing things. All the news said is "Looks like it's a cold morning in NYC". Nothing about a plane. I thought maybe they converted an old plane into a bus.
Actually, that would be a cool idea.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Spring has finally sprung in SoCal after this absolutely dismal and long winter. We should be in full planting mode in the garden by now and I still have winter garden veggies. It happened really fast also. At the beginning of this week there was hardly anything but green to be seen, and now look at this:
P1010804.JPG
P1010805.JPG
P1010806.JPG
P1010807.JPG
P1010809.JPG
P1010810.JPG

I put up the hummingbird feeder as I had seen a few of them hanging around my patio and there was nothing for them to eat.
P1010800.JPG
Now that the feeder is up I have not seen even one. They nest in the tree right outside my patio. I hope they come back soon, my cats love to watch them.

I have finally planted tomatoes but that is all. I usually put those in around February 1, but it had been too cold to do that. Now I will have to hustle to get everything else in. Peppers, cucumbers, corn, all the things that should be ready by June as I want to harvest them before I leave to move to Reno.
Still don't have a date. It's somewhat tricky. I looked at the papers I have regarding leasing/renting. It looks that I did not have a lease after the first 2 years but I thought and my landlord acted as if I did. It seems that as a renter I should be able to just give 30 days' warning instead of 60 and break a lease and not have to pay for the rest of what been a lease until August 31 if I had paper that says it is indeed a lease until August 31. I would certainly save quite a bit of money. So I will have to contact the landlord and see what he has to say and go with what I can arrange. He's greedy as most landlords. He thinks he can rent the place for even more but he has never updated the place, I have lived there for 5 years so it needs to be painted, the carpet really should be replaced with hard floors because it is old, the kitchen cabinet should be updated as there is dead space in some of them which should have lazy susans in them, and other things that are just upkeep, not something that I had caused and that need to be updated. If he just leaves it the way it is he will have a hard time renting it out for more than he wants and possibly not even as much as I pay now. This is supposed to be upscale but without updating it is just average. So I need to sweeten it as much as possible for him so that I will get my deposit back which is more than a month's rent. Any idea how I can make him feel better instead of making him mad and I would have to fight for my deposit in small claims court from out-of-state?

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Spring has finally sprung in SoCal after this absolutely dismal and long winter. We should be in full planting mode in the garden by now and I still have winter garden veggies. It happened really fast also. At the beginning of this week there was hardly anything but green to be seen, and now look at this:View attachment 278423 View attachment 278424 View attachment 278425 View attachment 278426 View attachment 278428 View attachment 278429
I put up the hummingbird feeder as I had seen a few of them hanging around my patio and there was nothing for them to eat.View attachment 278430 Now that the feeder is up I have not seen even one. They nest in the tree right outside my patio. I hope they come back soon, my cats love to watch them.

I have finally planted tomatoes but that is all. I usually put those in around February 1, but it had been too cold to do that. Now I will have to hustle to get everything else in. Peppers, cucumbers, corn, all the things that should be ready by June as I want to harvest them before I leave to move to Reno.
Still don't have a date. It's somewhat tricky. I looked at the papers I have regarding leasing/renting. It looks that I did not have a lease after the first 2 years but I thought and my landlord acted as if I did. It seems that as a renter I should be able to just give 30 days' warning instead of 60 and break a lease and not have to pay for the rest of what been a lease until August 31 if I had paper that says it is indeed a lease until August 31. I would certainly save quite a bit of money. So I will have to contact the landlord and see what he has to say and go with what I can arrange. He's greedy as most landlords. He thinks he can rent the place for even more but he has never updated the place, I have lived there for 5 years so it needs to be painted, the carpet really should be replaced with hard floors because it is old, the kitchen cabinet should be updated as there is dead space in some of them which should have lazy susans in them, and other things that are just upkeep, not something that I had caused and that need to be updated. If he just leaves it the way it is he will have a hard time renting it out for more than he wants and possibly not even as much as I pay now. This is supposed to be upscale but without updating it is just average. So I need to sweeten it as much as possible for him so that I will get my deposit back which is more than a month's rent. Any idea how I can make him feel better instead of making him mad and I would have to fight for my deposit in small claims court from out-of-state?
Beautiful pictures... I cannot wait for spring up here in New England...

As far as your landlord, I cannot advise you.

I had a horrible experience with mine--property manager. It is a huge company which owned my last building..

The old property manager was semi-retired, a new one came in.. a change in owners due to the owner passing away and his 2 sons inheriting the businesses..

I was told that I would have to pay the rent on my last apartment, until it was rented... and I would not get my security deposit nor last months rent, until my lease was up--in August...

I was terrified. I could not afford 2 apartments at the same time---eventhough my current one is income based rent..

Finally, the old property manager called me.. We talked a while.. it was agreed that if I paid for the month of March, we would call it even... That is what I did... I had been living there for 12.5 years. The apartment was in such good shape, that they wanted to know when it was last painted and the rugs replaced!!! I told them NEVER!!! Original to when I moved in. They could not believe it...

Now, I am still waiting for my money owed.. last months rent, security deposit.. I have to call them this weeks about that.. and to see if there is any mail in my old mailbox.. You would think they would contact me--but no... I did fill out a forwarding address card at the post office.. but it does not cover everything..

None of my former neighbors there, have seen any of my mail, on the side of the mail area.. so, who the heck knows...

segelkatt segelkatt I wish you luck....

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spring has finally sprung in SoCal after this absolutely dismal and long winter. We should be in full planting mode in the garden by now and I still have winter garden veggies. It happened really fast also. At the beginning of this week there was hardly anything but green to be seen, and now look at this:View attachment 278423 View attachment 278424 View attachment 278425 View attachment 278426 View attachment 278428 View attachment 278429
I put up the hummingbird feeder as I had seen a few of them hanging around my patio and there was nothing for them to eat.View attachment 278430 Now that the feeder is up I have not seen even one. They nest in the tree right outside my patio. I hope they come back soon, my cats love to watch them.

I think your best bet would be to see if you can find someone to sublease from you. Or talk to your landlord; see what your options are and bring up subleasing. Legally, the landlord cannot collect rent from two parties at the same time. Small claims court would agree and award you your deposit IF you have someone living there - under a subleasing contract - and paying rent to the landlord.
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank You. I thought I was seeing things. All the news said is "Looks like it's a cold morning in NYC". Nothing about a plane. I thought maybe they converted an old plane into a bus.
Actually, that would be a cool idea.
Nope. And yep. That actually reminded me of this, which is an actual transcript of an air control tower exchange...

A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll
out after touching down.
San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end
of the runway, if you are able. If you are not able, take the
Guadeloupe exit off Highway 101, make a right at the lights and return to the
airport."

LOL, looks like they missed that turn at the lights!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, Aedan has a ride on pony. The bottom has two modes - rocking horse or ride on toy. I took him outside with it and I was trying to switch it to ride on mode. I couldn't figure it out. Spent 20 minutes fiddling with it then the neighbor helped and it was really easy; I was just missing it. Anyway, after all that, he didn't even want to play with it. Then the neighbor's daughter rode on it for a few minutes and suddenly, he wanted it. Kids! LOL. I didn't let him take it away from her but as soon as she had to go inside, he was all over it - for about 5 minutes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always wanted those ride on ponies that bounced on springs within a metal frame :sigh: We had a hand-me-down beat up plastic neon orange horse (maybe dino?) that just rocked back and forth. The eyes kept popping off which was kind of creepy :eek: I'm betting it's still in my parents' basement along with the old crib and other baby / kid stuff that is never going to be used again, not that any of it meets today's safety standards.

Is Aedan starting to talk or is it too early?

Status
Not open for further replies.