The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have developed an addiction to Domino's Bacon Chicken Ranch oven baked sandwiches. Sadly, there is no DA - Domino's Anonymous.
How do you think these things get started? Someone (probably someone with an addiction) sees a need and starts them. So, find enough like-minded people and start your own.

Thanks for the well-wishes! I just got a call that Froggy came through surgery without complications. They removed the growth from his mouth and were even able to neuter him while he was under. Recovery may be a little rocky still, but so far it's all really good news! :grouphug:
This was nearly a week ago - how is Froggy doing now?

My friend had her baby on August 27. They're going home today. She's breastfeeding and it's going very well but I don't think the hospital is very breastfeeding friendly. They were telling her if the baby nurses for more than 45 minutes, she should supplement with formula and said she was losing too much weight. She's lost 8.5%. Breastfed babies can lose 10% or even a little more in the first 2 days. Aedan commonly nursed for an hour or more at first. He's never had a drop of formula and he's growing very well. I told Natalie to just trust her gut and watch for wet diapers. Some hospitals just aren't very educated when it comes to breastfeeding.
I bet that she can get formula cheap if she's on WIC. It's excellent for replacing some of what she's losing to the baby. Basically, the advice they gave her was correct, except they should have told her to drink the formula.

I'm hungry but I have nothing that I want to eat. Maybe I should go grocery shopping while hungry. I'd have a real variety of stuff here then! Hehe
In my experience, this doesn't work. It just means that you pig out as soon as you get home. :sigh:

I adopted my foster kitten today! :bunnydance:
Congratulations! :woo: :banana2::banana1: :celebrate: :dance::party3:

What is the kitten's name? Pictures! Lots and lots of kitten pictures!

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet that she can get formula cheap if she's on WIC. It's excellent for replacing some of what she's losing to the baby. Basically, the advice they gave her was correct, except they should have told her to drink the formula.
Gag. I've tried formula and I'm not really sure how we can trick babies into drinking it ;). Ugh it's nasty. Seems like a good idea though, like giving a nursing cat KMR.

From what I know about WIC: If she's listed as fully breastfeeding, WIC will give her extra food allowance but formula will not be covered. However, it appears that something like Ensure (which is basically baby formula, flavored for adults) or other meal-replacement drink may be covered as a "WIC-eligible nutritional". A doctor may have to sign off on it, though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kind of want to go on a very lengthy vent about that person and what I learned today about compliance and regulatory stuff that the person LIED to me about (and somehow got away with it for 14 years as a supervisor) but I'm just going to post emoticons instead: :soapbox: :censored::livid::angrywoman::bat:

This person is officially done with being in my life :yelling: We were never friends anyways, just co-workers. I make it a point to treat co-workers professionally and never cross that line into being friends.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, everything is going well with Natalie and Scarlett and breastfeeding. Natalie isn't supplementing and the baby's eating just fine and having plenty of wet diapers.
I wish I could fly out to see them, but plane tickets are expensive.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend had her baby on August 27. They're going home today. She's breastfeeding and it's going very well but I don't think the hospital is very breastfeeding friendly. They were telling her if the baby nurses for more than 45 minutes, she should supplement with formula and said she was losing too much weight. She's lost 8.5%. Breastfed babies can lose 10% or even a little more in the first 2 days. Aedan commonly nursed for an hour or more at first. He's never had a drop of formula and he's growing very well. I told Natalie to just trust her gut and watch for wet diapers. Some hospitals just aren't very educated when it comes to breastfeeding.
I had almost the opposite problem with my first. The LC wasn't friendly or available often. The only time I saw her was when she told me how to set up my pump and she did that in about 3 minutes or less. I had more help from the NICU nurses than anyone and I still went home with a baby who was starving between feedings when I followed their advice. And freezing. :cringe: I still wonder if we really are making life harder on modern new mothers. Thank God for my own. I say this with teary eyes as I look over at my 8 year old who is only about 10" shorter than me now, wearing deodorant and nearly in womens size shoes. :sniffle:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of want to go on a very lengthy vent about that person and what I learned today about compliance and regulatory stuff that the person LIED to me about (and somehow got away with it for 14 years as a supervisor) but I'm just going to post emoticons instead: :soapbox: :censored::livid::angrywoman::bat:

This person is officially done with being in my life :yelling: We were never friends anyways, just co-workers. I make it a point to treat co-workers professionally and never cross that line into being friends.
You cannot hate someone that you don't care about.

Someone told me that a long time ago and it's very true.
Only someone you care about can hurt you this way.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate my voice so much :bawling2:
Most of us do; our recorded voices just sound so different from what we actually hear; we hear ourselves via bone conduction as well as sound carried through the air, but a recording hears us only through the air.

When a house guest met my cousin Pam the house guest correctly guessed that we were related, and I couldn't understand why because Pam and I look nothing alike. Shortly after that I happened to hear a recording of myself and suddenly realized that Pam and I sound exactly alike. :dunno: :rolleyes:

You cannot hate someone that you don't care about.
But she does care. This is someone who's been pretending to be a friend. That stings. Additionally, to find out that a supervisor lied to you about regulations? That's darn near unforgivable!

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was listening to Darkness Radio last night when there was an add for a thing called Pluto TV. It's kind of like satellite or cable, but it doesn't have the 'big' channels like A&E, Discovery etc... But it does have a MST3K channel, movies, news, sports, music and my favorite...the cat channel. All cats, all the time.
It's free with no sign up. Just download the app and you're ready to go. I'm glad I found it.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scarlett gained 6 ounces. The doctors were impressed and Natalie didn't supplement at all. As soon as her milk came in, baby turned into a little piggy. I'm glad Natalie didn't listen. Supplementing can cause your supply to go down and then you get stuck in a trap.
I'm so tired. I couldn't sleep last night. Aedan slept great but I just couldn't drift off and then I woke up repeatedly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do you think these things get started? Someone (probably someone with an addiction) sees a need and starts them. So, find enough like-minded people and start your own.
But...but...then she'd have to actually NOT EAT THEM!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I'm so mad. I went into Aislyn's room to get some clothes for Aedan and noticed a smell. Followed it to Aislyn's bed. The sheets and blankets are saturated with cat pee. Moved them and the mattress is yellow. It will have to be replaced. This has clearly been going on for a while.
They weren't doing it when she was here. Maybe that's their form of protest since she's gone? Ugh!!!

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I wouldn't be so harried if I had less: to-dos, to-buys, bills, filing systems, investments, phone numbers, post-its, fears, magazine clippings, prejudices, clothes, exercise machines, diet fads, knickknacks, options . . .:sigh:

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This was nearly a week ago - how is Froggy doing now?
Thanks for asking! :) Froggy has done amazingly well. His recovery has been very smooth. He hasn't even had pneumonia, which was pretty much assumed he would get - the preventative antibiotics the vet gave him seemed to do the trick. So far so good!

What is the kitten's name? Pictures! Lots and lots of kitten pictures!
His name is... Froggy. ;)

Froggy has been with me as a medical foster for five months (he's ten months old now,) but he was not eligible for adoption because he was not yet neutered and was not expected to be able to be because of his medical fragility and the anesthesia risk. Because the vet was able to neuter him while he was already under anesthesia by urgent necessity to remove the mass from his mouth, I was able to finalize his adoption and make him an official permanent family member. :)

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I was listening to Darkness Radio last night when there was an add for a thing called Pluto TV. It's kind of like satellite or cable, but it doesn't have the 'big' channels like A&E, Discovery etc... But it does have a MST3K channel, movies, news, sports, music and my favorite...the cat channel. All cats, all the time.
It's free with no sign up. Just download the app and you're ready to go. I'm glad I found it.
Can I get this on a regular comp, a desktop? Or on a regular TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.