The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a perfectly serviceable food or that cats die on it. I messed up what I was trying to get across about shelters being grateful for what they get and not expecting the most expensive. I'm sorry I made things worse.

@AbbysMom - thank you. I needed that. She doesn't rub any of it in my face but it's still hard to see. And since I just had my birthday I'm hyper aware of how I'm losing time to do the things I want, like hopefully having a healthy baby.

I'll just leave you to your discussion now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are Hekitty and Samai related somehow?
:D
I would not, having heard Samai stories, be the least bit surprised if they were.

If it's mostly filler, should I get it anyway and donate it to the Humane Society?
Or a rescue. Regardless, it will be head and shoulders above what many of the cats were scrounging out of dumpsters, won't it?

Yeah, after trying all the mid-grade kibbles, I've settled on Purina One and Purina Beyond. I once read somewhere that Purina has the best vitamin/mineral premix in the industry, and that must be true based on my results.[/QUOTE

My ferals get Purina One, and love it. Hekitty won't go near it. She will ONLY eat Friskies kibble. Believe me, I've tried for YEARS to get her on a good food. Nope. She likes what she likes. As a very wise person here once said, "The very best cat food is the one your cat will actually eat." I'm old enough to remember when Purina was the be-all and end-all of pet foods. There just weren't any better ones anywhere. That said, I've known cats who lived well into their 20s, in excellent health (other than age-related issues) on the cheapest food out there.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a perfectly serviceable food or that cats die on it. I messed up what I was trying to get across about shelters being grateful for what they get and not expecting the most expensive. I'm sorry I made things worse.

@AbbysMom - thank you. I needed that. She doesn't rub any of it in my face but it's still hard to see. And since I just had my birthday I'm hyper aware of how I'm losing time to do the things I want, like hopefully having a healthy baby.

I'll just leave you to your discussion now.
Relax, no one is offended. Don't be afraid to post here.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
What's on my mind are the fires. One of them, the Elsinore Fire, is only about 25 miles from here as the crow flies and the desert wind has been blowing the smoke to us That's supposed to change by tomorrow evening, the sea breeze is supposed to start again and even bringing some fog which should help. The pics show the smoke blowing toward the ocean (and us!) with the sky turning dark with brown smoke. We are not in danger here and this fire was arson, who does stuff like that?

Attachments

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of the smoke has been blown out to sea, now it just looks hazy and the sun this evening was blood red. The wind has turned but it is so little that it has not blown any of the smoke back to us, hopefully it will just sink into the ocean. I only saw a little white smoke from the site where it burned so it looks like they have it under control. There are many elderly people living here in this age restricted community who are susceptible to all kinds of diseases who do not need to breathe all that smoke. The sky yesterday was really brown, I've never seen it like that in all the years I have lived in SoCal since 1971 and there have been plenty of fires. There was a big one last summer that scorched hillsides next to roads and freeways but there was nothing growing on them but grass and weeds so there was not much smoke, where this one consumed a lot of brush and some trees on steep sides of canyons and arroyos and thus caused a lot more smoke and was hard to get to. Fire season usually is Sept/Oct so with fires already it will be a long fire season. The continuing heat does not help either. We usually get breaks from the heat but this summer it just goes on and on. Global warming, believe it or not, is real. Even Europe is burning as far north as Sweden which is just unheard of.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the fires are put out soon. If people would just stop being :censored:, it wouldn't be such a problem.
John got me Monster Hunter World for my birthday. It was rough waiting 2 more days for it to release - my birthday was August 7 and the game just released August 9 - but I survived and I'm loving it. I was really wanting this game because I loved the psp version and I enjoyed playing it on the Wii. This new game is even better! Well, it seems that way - with kids to take care of, I haven't gotten to play much but I am enjoying the crap out of it when I do get a chance to play it. He also got me really nice headphones for our anniversary - July 30 - so, with my new laptop, I'm all set up!:hyper:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated my public speaking class. I did it online so I had to record my speeches. I wrote great speeches - one about the horrors of declawing - and I was great when I practiced them, but as soon as I started up that webcam, everything disappeared from my head. I passed with a C. It was just awful.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated my public speaking class. I did it online so I had to record my speeches. I wrote great speeches - one about the horrors of declawing - and I was great when I practiced them, but as soon as I started up that webcam, everything disappeared from my head. I passed with a C. It was just awful.
I'm so glad I don't need a webcam. This class is mainly writing, and the one speech I have to give will be submitted to my professor's voicemail.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If mine had been like that, I would have gotten an A for sure. I just turned into a deer in headlights every time I turned on that :censored: webcam.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of the smoke has been blown out to sea, now it just looks hazy and the sun this evening was blood red. The wind has turned but it is so little that it has not blown any of the smoke back to us,
Thank GOODNESS! ALL of our members in harm's way (to one degree or another) have been in my heart.

My first speech can be about anything pertaining to my life. I think I'm going to write about my relationship with cats :catlove:
I think you should do just that! Can't think of a better thing to write about at all!

I ordered my Phillips Life Line medical alert system yesterday. The home-only version was free with my insurance, and since the only time I go out is once a month shopping or occasionally to the doctor's office, and since I am around people at all times then, that works for me! It does have a fall sensor, and if it doesn't sense movement within 30 seconds of a fall, it will alert the monitors. I fall a LOT. 98% of the time, I land well, and get right back up, but I don't have to worry about that 2% any more!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised. I could only find one of the brands listed on the couple. Simply nourish or something like that. Grain free and $23 for a 6 lb bag that I got for free. Now watch - my brats won't eat it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank GOODNESS! ALL of our members in harm's way (to one degree or another) have been in my heart.

I need to get one after falling several times earlier this week. You said you ordered online. How do you install it? Can you do it yourself or will you have to get someone install it? I had a terrible time trying to get up.

I think you should do just that! Can't think of a better thing to write about at all!

I ordered my Phillips Life Line medical alert system yesterday. The home-only version was free with my insurance, and since the only time I go out is once a month shopping or occasionally to the doctor's office, and since I am around people at all times then, that works for me! It does have a fall sensor, and if it doesn't sense movement within 30 seconds of a fall, it will alert the monitors. I fall a LOT. 98% of the time, I land well, and get right back up, but I don't have to worry about that 2% any more!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm interested, too. My grandma just has Medicare. I wonder how I find out if that would cover it? She's never fallen, but she's 87 now and I'm terrified of her falling and not being able to get help. She has an emergency pull cord in the bathroom - she lives in Senior housing - but what if she falls somewhere else? I check on her frequently and if she doesn't answer the phone, I freak out and run over there. Usually, she's doing laundry or something, but the one time I don't check could be the time she needs help.
She's actually started putting a note on her door when she goes out after my Uncle Mike stopped by and called 911 when she didn't answer. She was getting groceries lol.
She's very spry and healthy, but at her age, you just never know.
Murphy and Mickey like the expensive food. Jury is still out on Connor. He hasn't eaten since I got home, but he's been having a nice, long nap. Murphy is the one I figured wouldn't touch it. He's never been interested in eating anything other than Purina.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody listening to the news where they are talking about the "Holy Fire" at Lake Elsinore in SoCal that's the one from which I had posted pics. Here are the latest taken from the big golf course in Laguna Woods where I live.
081118 1.JPG
081118 2.JPG
You can see white smoke off to the right. The skies are almost blue again, they look vaguely overcast but that's what's left of the smoke here. The wind is very light so that helps. The fire that is still burning is ca. 20 miles from where I took the picture as the crow flies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The smoke is all the way here. I guess some of the Canadian fires are in the area where the jet stream dips down to us. The Perseid meteor shower is tonight and tomorrow night but I don't think we'll be able to see anything :/.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aislyn just went home but now it looks like I'm babysitting my niece for the foreseeable future. Her dad's mom was "watching" her, if you consider letting a 1 year old run outside with no supervision and not changing her diaper all day "watching" her. My sister is livid. She picked her up yesterday and she was outside alone and had dog poop and on her mouth and her poor little butt is raw. Of course I'm taking over babysitting. If I was DD, I'd be kicking butt and pressing charges!

Status
Not open for further replies.