The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Now, this does bring up a good point. I've been working on scarves for my coworkers since October (the pink took a while; I don't like working with it), but should I be worried that the presents would offend them? I mean, I'm just trying to celebrate the best way that I know how, by giving presents. Is that going to offend someone?
In a perfect world,  only the most churlish of people would be offended by a present made by the gifters own hands.   I can understand wanting to hide a particularly hideous sweater knitted by Great Aunt Matilda but not being offended by receiving it.  And it's possible that people receiving a present might feel awkward if they don't have one to give in return, but that's not the same as being offended.  However, I'm not really sure about this so I'm interested to hear what other people think.  I just know that if someone knitted me a scarf as, for example, a Hanukkah present, I would be moved and happy to receive such a gift even though I'm not Jewish.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would be thrilled to receive a hand-made present, whether it be a scarf, mittens, a loaf of bread, or some cookies or candy. 

That being said, one year, I made my own Christmas cards. The card had all six original RugCats on them and it took me a good month to get it all just perfect. I used PSP 7 and I cut out around each cat meticulously. I took so much time with that card. When she received it, my mother took great pains to call me to thank me for the card.....and then said, "But if you needed money to buy real cards, you could have asked me. Then you wouldn't have had to send this stuff out!" I was heartbroken. It was a really cute card, darn it. And it wasn't about money; it was about doing something myself. 

So I think my answer would be that most people would truly appreciate receiving a scarf that you made with your own hands. I would love it and think of you every time I used it.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I would be thrilled to receive a hand-made present, whether it be a scarf, mittens, a loaf of bread, or some cookies or candy. 

That being said, one year, I made my own Christmas cards. The card had all six original RugCats on them and it took me a good month to get it all just perfect. I used PSP 7 and I cut out around each cat meticulously. I took so much time with that card. When she received it, my mother took great pains to call me to thank me for the card.....and then said, "But if you needed money to buy real cards, you could have asked me. Then you wouldn't have had to send this stuff out!" I was heartbroken. It was a really cute card, darn it. And it wasn't about money; it was about doing something myself. 

So I think my answer would be that most people would truly appreciate receiving a scarf that you made with your own hands. I would love it and think of you every time I used it.
Hand made presents are THE BEST. I have no use for a scarf because it never really gets cold enough to use one here but I'd still love it anyway. One of the kids would commandeer it anyway. Likely Sophie. She takes ownership of anything soft in my house. 

I send out cards but I never keep the ones I get. That one I would keep. What a great idea. Unfortunately If I sent out cards like that, no one I send them to would appreciate them. I'd get the completely fake, "Isn't that nice?" Then they'd trash talk me to each other about how I've gone off the deep end with that whole "cat thing". 

Have I mentioned how much I can't stand people who don't appreciate how amazing cats are? 

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Oh, dear.   Mothers can shoot off the most painful arrows without even realizing it.   My own oblivious but loving mother had a knack for this.   There was a certain well-intentioned comparison to Sally Ride that still gets to me.  Grrrrrrr.     

Maybe you should post a picture of the card here, where it will be appreciated.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaagh. I just looked at the new posters for work and they have dark-skinned people on them. The last time that happened I had to put up with a lot of vile comments. Now it's only going to be worse. I hope I can refrain from going off on a customer. Any "polite" (work-appropriate) suggestions for dealing with racists?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope I don't offend, but that looks very suspiciously like a dish pan because of the two receptacles at one end.  Maybe a search of places that sell those might yield something you'd like? Just a thought.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope I don't offend, but that looks very suspiciously like a dish pan because of the two receptacles at one end.  Maybe a search of places that sell those might yield something you'd like? Just a thought.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Aaagh. I just looked at the new posters for work and they have dark-skinned people on them. The last time that happened I had to put up with a lot of vile comments. Now it's only going to be worse. I hope I can refrain from going off on a customer. Any "polite" (work-appropriate) suggestions for dealing with racists?
I'm not sure you can do anything except pointedly ignore the comments, given that you're at work.  But even that might cause an escalation of the remarks from some people.  Whew.  That's a tough one.  What did you do in the past?  

margd

Veteran
Purraise
My current mood:

I saw this AMAZING litter box on Amazon for cheap ($2.99) yesterday and I decided to buy it later that day but I needed to put money on my card first. By night, I check again and it said that the item was no longer available from the seller I wanted to buy it from. I literally shed a tear. It had AMAZING reviews and I fell deeply in love with it. I couldn't find it anywhere else online for that cheap (all over $20; some ever for $80+). #WorstTimeOfMyLife

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure you can do anything except pointedly ignore the comments, given that you're at work.  But even that might cause an escalation of the remarks from some people.  Whew.  That's a tough one.  What did you do in the past?  
Oh I've always just had some variation of "I'm sorry you feel that way here's your change bye" but it would be nice to come up with a mild zinger :D. We're allowed some degree of self-expression as long as it's not rude. Plus I'm working in a smaller town now so the customers may have more time to stick around and press the subject. And in the past they generally had the grace to look a bit embarrassed and not push, but with. . .recent events, I fear they may feel more entitled to get a little more mouthy.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
When I first looked at that picture I also thought what an odd way to use a dishpan, still haven't figured out what those two small compartments are for and the pan looks too small for either cats or dishes. Without dimensions the pic may be misleading.

I have one cat that climbs in the box and just barely, lifts her tail and lets go. Most of the time part of it ends up on the floor. I've tried everything (higher box - she won't climb in but pees next to the boxn, cut down one side - she climbs in and lets go over the down-cut side, little litter, a lot litter, different kind of litter, nothing works) I've thought of putting a diaper on her 
 but that's no solution as she is not incontinent, I don't have room to put steps in the bathroom and use a high box without a cut-down which wold eliminate the problem. This cat can and does climb and jump so there is no excuse for her not to use a box with high sides but the Persian would have a hard time getting in there with her short legs and no claws.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

From what I can tell, it's a card game of sorts. He's made two different decks, has some weird sixteen-sided die, and two books that made my college anatomy and physiology textbook look lightweight. (The books, FYI, were on  the Christmas list that he wrote for AWM and I.) I called the shop he got those things at, but they don't sell gift cards. (Something about it ruining the integrity of the shopping and playing experience. I didn't really understand most of what the guy was saying.) You can see the problem.

Now, this does bring up a good point. I've been working on scarves for my coworkers since October (the pink took a while; I don't like working with it), but should I be worried that the presents would offend them? I mean, I'm just trying to celebrate the best way that I know how, by giving presents. Is that going to offend someone?
I would be thrilled to death if someone gave me a gift for Christmas although I don't celebrate it.  Last year I was invited to a Chanukkah celebration, wonderful kosher food and presents for everybody, very unexpected as I thought it was just an invitation for dinner. Of course I thanked profusely and sorry I had nothing to give besides the bottle of wine I had brought as a hostess gift. Only a boor would be offended about a gift and that is their problem, not yours. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finally gotten all my gifts off to Fedex. Now to clean up the living and dining rooms, where I wrapped and packaged everything. Since the cats helped me wrap, it's going to be a chore. No box went unchewed, no paper unshredded, and no ribbon unrolled. It was a free-for-all. With my bum knee, I couldn't hop up and go after them. 

They've had their Christmas in my book.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

When I first looked at that picture I also thought what an odd way to use a dishpan, still haven't figured out what those two small compartments are for and the pan looks too small for either cats or dishes. Without dimensions the pic may be misleading.

I have one cat that climbs in the box and just barely, lifts her tail and lets go. Most of the time part of it ends up on the floor. I've tried everything (higher box - she won't climb in but pees next to the boxn, cut down one side - she climbs in and lets go over the down-cut side, little litter, a lot litter, different kind of litter, nothing works) I've thought of putting a diaper on her 
 but that's no solution as she is not incontinent, I don't have room to put steps in the bathroom and use a high box without a cut-down which wold eliminate the problem. This cat can and does climb and jump so there is no excuse for her not to use a box with high sides but the Persian would have a hard time getting in there with her short legs and no claws.
It does kind of look like a dishpan except I don't see anywhere in the bottom area where water would drip out. Those 2 compartments could hold the scoop(s) or a roll of plastic liners if you use them. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You DO have a tough situation on your hands!  I have gone through various similar problems, which I guess is why I have a BISSELL Spot-Bot Pet robotic shampooer and keep a good supply of Nature's Miracle Just For Cats on hand.  

margd

Veteran
Purraise

I've finally gotten all my gifts off to Fedex. Now to clean up the living and dining rooms, where I wrapped and packaged everything. Since the cats helped me wrap, it's going to be a chore. No box went unchewed, no paper unshredded, and no ribbon unrolled. It was a free-for-all. With my bum knee, I couldn't hop up and go after them. 

They've had their Christmas in my book.
What do you have scheduled for their New Year's Eve?  

Status
Not open for further replies.