The well-known problem of IBD or lymphoma and pancreatitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 2 cm and they are afraid to draw a sample because there is a vein there but they will let me know if they can do it . I plan to go with my husband tomorrow just in case. It pains us so much. I think , is it my fault feeding her bad food all these years ? What if I put her down if find its aggressive and haunts me in my dreams and I see her crying ?
It is not your fault. I've come to the conclusion that there are so many factors affecting humans and pets these days that cancer can pretty much be caused by anything. That coupled with bad genetics. Human "health nuts" and pets fed the best foods are still getting cancer. It is very sad. So please don't blame yourself.

Like Denice said, take one step at a time. 

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Goholistic.  There are so many factors that enter into development of cancer and I believe that genetcs plays a big role.  This is not your fault.  I know a lot of people who are really into holistic remedies believe that any kitty can live to be 20 or more and be healthy with the right food and supplements but I don't believe that is true.  I personally know of kitties that lived to be twenty and were given the cheapest kibble available their entire lives.  I have also known of kitties that were given the best super premium foods their entire lives along with excellent vet care and developed health issues by the time they were 10.  All of us can only do what we know to do and are able to do.

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even whales in the Arctic have been found to have high levels of various toxins when tested, there's nothing you could do to completely protect your cat (or yourself!) from all the potentially cancer causing crap that surrounds us. As a cancer survivor myself I know how frustrating it is to not know what caused it, or to hear people say "if your diet was better....." But it's like roulette, can you really explain why that ball chose to stop right there at that time? Maybe the ball was just that heavy, maybe the wheel had some crumbs stuck under it, maybe the table was slightly tilted.... You can't ever really 100% know.

You could look at it another way, and look at it as your fault she lived long enough to get cancer! Plenty of cats don't have someone taking care of them and die of traumatic injuries at a much younger age than your cat. She has the luxury of being with someone that will take care of her and try to make her as comfortable as possible at the end of her life. (Which might still be a few years from now!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your support. I'm waiting to hear back if we can have a needle aspiration . I installed also Skype at home so I can see her while at work lol. It's so funny she is probably like whaat? Where is mommy?

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mimi will go today to the vet again to draw that sample from her belly. I will know results tomorrow .

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Arinlars, I share your frustration.  There are so many unknowns about cancer and we dont know a lot about being preventive.    To be blunt, it sucks.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mimi was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma and it's small to intermediate and also pancreatitis. at this point I'm at a loss they tell me they don't know how to proceed so I need to schedule an appointment with an oncologist and also to start chemo . I feel I should make a new threat because this opens a whole new topic. I haven't read anything about pancreatitis I have no idea what to do . do I need to start enzymes and if so which ones what is the treatment for pancreatitis and if so which ones what is the treatment for pancreatitis ? Sorry for the bad spelling I'm dictating while I'm driving

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Mimi. No wonder she feels terrible. 
  Sebastian's main issue throughout these past couple of years was pancreatitis - started out as acute pancreatitis and turned into chronic pancreatitis. It is usually very painful and causes unrelenting nausea. Did they diagnosis pancreatitis via the ultrasound? There's no "cure" for pancreatitis per se; treatment is through supportive care, which will also help the symptoms of lymphoma.

This is my favorite document that outlines treatment recommendations for pancreatitis:

https://www.idexx.com/files/small-a...pec-fpl-treatment-for-feline-pancreatitis.pdf

As far as lymphoma goes, unfortunately, the only way to truly address that is through some kind of protocol that targets and kills the cancer cells.

Last edited:

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I get her prescribed pain meds ? The vet also has an alternative to cerenia a cheaper version of it that I forgot the name now :(

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Arinlars, Obi had a bout of pancreatitis also.  I took him to an vet for internal medicine; he was given supportive care, as Go says, pain meds, and, if I remember correctly, Cerenia.  Cerenia is a very good drug.  Let us know what the so called alternative is so that we may comment if possible.

It seems that the pancreatis can flare up concomittant to other GI disease.  I dont know why except for the location.

Yes you should get her pain meds although be aware that they are sedating.  

Poor baby..! 

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know cerenia is nice but sooooo expensive :(

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys.

I just thought I should change the title of this thread since now I know Mimi has small to intermediate lymphoma and pancreatitis. I am surprised about the pancreatitis because I knew it and the vet's were like oh it's fine she is already on pred. Her blood work was really weird on August and I am not a vet but I could see the PLI was crazy.. I feel guilty not pushing the vets to give her anything else.

This is a thread for help and I also hope to help other people with this nightmare.

After 2 years of IBD Mimi was doing great. Then this summer she started declining again. Her IBD flared up, and she started loosing weight and her diarrhea is worse. This week I found after an ultrasound and guided needle biopsy that Mimi has small cell to intermediate lymphoma. I will start Chlorambusil soon. Mimi is on prednisolone (2.5mg x 2 times a day), Mirtazapine and Cerenia. Every else failed for her (metronidazole makes her a zombie, famotidine same).

Mimi is now 2.8kg (6 something pounds) and her normal weight is 8 and she is almost 13 years old, she looks so skinny that bleeds my heart. I feel that I am loosing my little girl and it's hard for me because she is my first pet. Every night I wake up with the sound of her diarrhea.

I need your guidance on tips, what to give her to stop the diarrhea and perk her up again!

With the wonderful suggestion of @LDG  

1. S.Bulardii helped at first but now it's not working! 

2. Slippery Elm Bark Helps her tummy

3. I ordered Nexobiotic probiotics after researching the forum

4. Feline enteric support enzymes

I have a holistic vet too but she feels I should first find out the dose from the chemo drug and then tell her because some herbs interfere with chemo..

I am open to suggestions.. I think I'm loosing my Mimi.. She doesn't want to eat but when she does, she just does not absorb any nutrients, she poops it all out.. She is still a little energetic and we still play.

Me and my husband are doing everything we can to help her.. because we saw improvement in the past but now it's a whole new battle we are fighting and we have hope because some members in this forum wrote their stories and their kitties lived another 2-3 years a happy life.. We are with minimum sleep, trying (when she doesn't eat) to syringe feed her. Now the appetite stimulant works so it's ok for now.

Also, thank you to the members who support me and are always helping people in this forum. 

Last edited by a moderator:

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. My precious died 3 years ago of IBD. He was only 9 and my best friend. I know how you feel. I was exhausted trying this and that and didn't realize it until I had him put down. I still miss him. I swear it's the GMO's and ethoxyquin in the fish food. Ethoxyquin is not fit for human consumption, but they put it in our pet food. It's done on the fishing boats as a preservative, so many pet food mfgs don't even know.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/03/fish-as-a-protein-source.aspx

GMO's are a whole other issue. Even the animals that eat GMO's can carry the pesticide replicating organism in them. The other type will keep the animal from absorbing minerals. There is plenty of independent research out there and there's many wonderful documentaries on them which include vets and farmers experiences. My vet also told me they are getting more and more pets with GI issues. Not surprising as humans are as well. Corn, Soy, Canola and Beet crops are 90% GMO. Figure it's in their food if it contains one of these ingredients. Regardless of what pet food mfgs say, Carageenan is NOT good for pets or humans. There's plenty of info on that out there, too. http://www.prevention.com/food/heal...n-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet

Never again will I feed my pets any of this stuff. I never want to go through that again or have an animal go through that again.

Hang in there and stay strong. Major cyber hugs. I know what you are going through.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stopped feeding her foods with grain and carageenan 2-3 years ago. I think the guar gum is also bad but she does not like a food that it doesn't have it. She used to eat freeze dried dehydrated raw but she doesn't even touch it now .

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
any ideas to stop the diarrhea ?

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arinlars, Obi had a bout of pancreatitis also.  I took him to an vet for internal medicine; he was given supportive care, as Go says, pain meds, and, if I remember correctly, Cerenia.  Cerenia is a very good drug.  Let us know what the so called alternative is so that we may comment if possible.

It seems that the pancreatis can flare up concomittant to other GI disease.  I dont know why except for the location.

Yes you should get her pain meds although be aware that they are sedating.  

Poor baby..! 
Did you give him supplements also or herbs?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was two summers ago and I am not sure I remember a lot, but I think, because of the nature of pancreatitis, I stuck with a strictly medical approach, I did not want to take the risk of giving him something that could produce adverse effects.  I did start giving him vitamin  B injections, which the vet prescribed, and still do that, in fact, I give him 2.5 mls every week.  I strongly suggest this if you are not doing it already because many cats with GI disease are deficient in B12. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have heard that canned pumpkin can help both constipation and diarrhea. Try a bit on your finger and see if they will lick it off. Or mix a 1/4 teaspoon or less in a bit of wet food to get it in. Most people use 1/2 or 1 teaspoon but because not all cats like the taste its easier to disguise.

I haven't read back further than this page but what about probiotics? I've heard that human ones will work just as well. I also heard fort-flora is one sold at vets and some people have had good luck with this stopping diarrhea.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin will not help pancreatitis, nor will probiotics, probiotics are to restore/promote health gut flora.

Status
Not open for further replies.