The well-known problem of IBD or lymphoma and pancreatitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
! just read back a few posts. I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. I have an older kitty who I suspect has twinges of pancreatic issues as she vomits and won't eat.

I think at this point it won't hurt to try pain meds. Cerenia ia a good one. Buprenorphine is applied in the cheek pocket of her mouth. Both of these are really good. Cerenia is used mostly for vomiting but it does have something in it that blocks the pain signals. So either would be worth trying. The other one is tramadol.

On another thread another kitty has been prescribed this for his lymphoma and other than making him spacy it seems to help with pain.

Pancreatis is painful for them. Only wish they would have a cure for this as I agree with an earlier post about the food additives causing digestive issues.

My elderly cat floey used to get so sick from foods with corn in them. Back in 2002ish it was when they started putting this garbage in our catfood. I used to feed eukanuba until they added corn for a cheap filler.

Now Its potatoes and peas as cheap filler. So very frustrating! !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I wish Mimi would like raw food again . It does not have corn or gluten or grain.
Cerenia helps but it's expensive. I'm going to try another med soon and on Monday we start chemo . I'm scared but hopeful! I'm scared that my Mimi will not eat or have some weird reaction but I really hope it can give her 2 more years

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like Mimi wants to play but she doesn't really play a lot like she used too. my husband's mentioned that maybe she does that for me only because she thinks I like it.

it seems that she's in pain because she's taking the meatloaf position so often and she feels sad because I give her meds and syringe feed ( not much though) . Other than that she enjoys sleeping and purring. I really hope the meds will help her with the pain.

Do you know if the pain will go away when I start the chemo on her?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like Mimi wants to play but she doesn't really play a lot like she used too. my husband's mentioned that maybe she does that for me only because she thinks I like it.

it seems that she's in pain because she's taking the meatloaf position so often and she feels sad because I give her meds and syringe feed ( not much though) . Other than that she enjoys sleeping and purring. I really hope the meds will help her with the pain.

Do you know if the pain will go away when I start the chemo on her?
did they give you pain meds? sometimes constipation makes them sit like this. my asthma kitty sits meatloaf most of the time-I have her on canned pumpkin but it may be giving her gas because she farts in her sleep. but without it she wouldn't go. what does the vet think?

have you posted her story in the feline lymphoma group on yahoo groups? Maybe someone has some more suggestions=it sounds like you have tried just about everything. Do they know why she isn't absorbing nutrients?

How soon can the chemo be started?

Please post on the feline lymphoma group in yahoo groups.

If you do facebook there is a sister group for those of us on facebook=Feline intestinal lymphoma, my good Friend Kelly is moderator of that group. Her cat had large cell lymphoma. And I am sure someone can help you. If you need assistance Private message me and I can add you to the group if you are on facebook.

I hate this disease. I hate feeling so helpless that nothing cant be fixed. 

Last edited:

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. What is the link for the yahoo group ? I'm at ibd kitties in Facebook but not many people know what to do they all seem somehow advice on something . The pain is from pancreatitis so i called the vet and ask for pain meds . The meatloaf is because she has tummy ache and diarrhea :(

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. What is the link for the yahoo group ? I'm at ibd kitties in Facebook but not many people know what to do they all seem somehow advice on something . The pain is from pancreatitis so i called the vet and ask for pain meds . The meatloaf is because she has tummy ache and diarrhea :(
Let me go copy and paste. The pain meds really help. Pancreatic issues hurt. And really hope that this helps your baby. I feel so helpless when they don't feel well.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buprenophine.she took it and is drifted away now haha! But at least she can have a good relaxed sleep now ! My only concern is that she don't eat . Can I syringe feed her while she is sedated ? ( or rather super relaxed )

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let het sleep a few hours. Then in fourish hours see if she wants to eat. Have you been given mirtazapine? I've yet to not have it work.

Babyfood meat ham chicken and turkey are some of the things I use to entice eating. If your cat has a bit if a cold they won't be able to smell their food. I add lysine into wet food.

Its an amino acid that stops the herpes virus from replication. Most cats have been exposed to this viris. It generally causes goopy eyes runny nose sneezing etc when it presents itself. Lysine daily keeps it from getting out of hand. Amazon sells brand called "NOW!" And its in a 1lb bottle. Daily dose is 1/4tsp. I've seen big improvement with using it.

Hopefully this helps get her eating. Thank you for taking such good care of her

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had a good sleep and then I woke her I after 3-4 hours to feed her and then this morning also . She still Doesn't want to eat so the vet gave me compounded mirtazapine to give her every day. Let's see if that's helps and then in 2 days we start chemo .

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
https://m.facebook.com/FelineLymphoma/

Here is the Facebook group for lymphoma. When you open this link they have the address for the yahoo group. Always someone on there just like here. Let me know if the pain meds work. What did they prescribe?
The group in facebook is wonderful and the people are really kind and supportive. 

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave her a new probiotic today and she threw up all of her food 7 times and then she was shaking and drooling . She pooped then gets out and throws up. We rushed to the vet we thought ok this is it. They gave her s cocktail of anti cramp , anti nausea and anti acid and iv fluids and now we are home . I also gave her a pain med because apparently her tummy was painful according to the vet. We really thought we were going to loose her..
And today it was one of these rare days that she ate a lot and played a lot ... So sad

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do not want to eat when they have pancreatitis, it is painful.  I would not syringe feed her, Arinlars.  I would offer her chicken baby food and let her eat it if she wants, or boiled chicken.  Leave water out for her.  Especially if she has vomited,  I would not force her to eat again.  I can imagine all too well how hard this is.  You did not say if she is on B12.  I think I mentioned that almost all cats with GI disease seem to be low in B12.  Offer her very small meals several times a day.  Give her the cerenia. And fluids as needed.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the vet said not to give her food tonight or anything else . I have baby food and chicken. I will try it tomorrow when she feels better .
She is on bimonthly B12 shots.

Last edited:

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ended up throwing up all night so today we went to the vet again.. They couldn't do much just iv fluids . They told me to ask the oncologist tomorrow if they can put a feeding tube because they worry that she will have issues with throwing up and the tube . She lost 1 more pound over the weekend.. They told me to prepare for the worst and to consider to send her to kitty heaven. I want to get the oncologist's opinion first ... It is my last hope .
I can't feed her cause she throws up everything , cerenia doesn't work and she is on pain meds ... I don't know what to do..... What if there is a solution that I don't know ?

She purred when she heard the kibble and made an effort to get up but didn't eat .please pray for my best friend.

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beautiful girl, I hope the oncologist gives you some hope. I will be sending you prayers and good vibes. 
She is lucky to have you fighting for her. PS orange girls are super special rare and from the few I know full of character. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhh poor baby.......an entire pound of weight loss in 2 days is a lot.....honestly, I really do fear the worse.....((hugs))))

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you hugs. This isn't sounding good. Thats a lot to loose. Please hug her and let her feel your love for her. I fear what may be coming. I'm so sorry for this. Been a bad weekend for several kitties fighting this disease. Hugs and prayers! !!

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We are prepared for the worst too. actually we i'm not because we are kind of heading that way but we're not emotionally prepared. For example right now she is sleeping and she seems to really be relaxing but on the other hand so did she yesterday and she started throwing up so many times .
how can I be prepared if what I have next to me is an alive kitty that showing a little affection but her quality-of-life is really really bad and I don't know if she will improve. Tomorrow is my last hole to see if something can be done and then I can say that I really have tried everything and failed tomorrow is my last hole to see if something can be done and then I can say that I really have tried everything and failed.
My husband thinks that she's staying alive just for me just because I want her to live and that breaks my heart . What if when it's time for her to go I realize that she's not ready to go into the forever how do I know that I will make the right decision ?
I cant stop crying and I don't know how will I be able to make it to go to work this week without having a nervous breakdown .

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. I never knew whether it was time but I think your vet tomorrow will have to be honest with you. I'm concerned about food not being absorbed. I don't know what else you guys have done-I have short term memory loss and need to reread your journey. I think it's understandable that you are upset. And I don't have any words of wisdom because I stink at it but I wanted you to know that I am thinking about you guys and hope you have a restful night.

Status
Not open for further replies.