The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, hush, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine - that lilac is absolutely stunning, and so is your yard. Just accept it. :p
I'm having a strange week, already, even though it's only Monday. But, my PAWsitive will be yet another reminder from this wonderful thread of a song I love, as well as the positivity of sharing it:

Sure, it's not the happiest song. But there's certainly some happiness in listening to a sad, sweet tune when you're a little down.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
The only problem with tall lilac trees is if you want to cut some to bring inside. If you keep it like a bush, no ladder required. The ones that were in my backyard growing up were trees & we needed a ladder every spring to gather them.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem with tall lilac trees is if you want to cut some to bring inside. If you keep it like a bush, no ladder required. The ones that were in my backyard growing up were trees & we needed a ladder every spring to gather them.
ileen ileen - True enough, although I don't mind ladders over much. All the same, the Lilacs on the north side branch much lower, and are inside the ivy bed where mowing under them isn't an issue - and they'll provide all the fragrant cut flowers you can use, for the few weeks that they bloom.

lilacsnorthside.jpg

They're not filled out yet, but last night's thundershowers really gave them a nudge and what's better than free nitrogen? Yeah, yeah... I know - free ice cream.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I love the pictures! My lilacs are just starting to bud- they should be open either this weekend if not sooner. The trees popped out their leaves this weekend in most areas except my area-we are always 2 weeks behind everyone else. The daffodils are still blooming and now the hostas are coming up to uncurl their leaves. These grand hostas spread about 4 to 6 feet wide-they came with the house. I did divide one of them-just never got around to dividing anymore. Honeybee loves to sleep under the leaves so I don't want to split them up just yet.

The positive is the butterfly bush is coming back-there's new greenery on the stumps after I dumped buckets of water on them like the garden sites told me to do. One is still very loose so I may have to transplant a rooting from the surviving one to where the dead bush is. I cut them back every spring and I am amazed how fast they grow to 5 feet or more. Last year they were close to 8 feet tall.

I also noticed my hollyhock is coming up-that one is a hard plant to grow as I found out it hates water which is strange. I love the weird shaped foilage on them.

The resident groundhog has eaten the tops off of the Asian Bell Flowers that have spread-They will come back but so weird seeing their delicate foliage one day then nothing but stumps the next day..
Buy Campanula punctata rubriflora: Delivery by PlantstoPlant.com
Google search has confused these flowers with the balloon flower-looks similar but is totally different- I have 2 plants of those as well..some day have to make a catalog of all the different flowers I have attempted to grow. I used to have a bleeding heart where the asian bells grow-but it hasn't come back..

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat - Awww... sorry to hear that your groundhog got the Bellflowers. :(

Daffodils have just about bloomed out here, except for the latest varieties like Odoratus and Thalia (which seems to bloom forever here). I'd surely like to see photos of those Hosta, though - do you know the cultivar - Mister Big, maybe - or one of the newer varieties like Komodo Dragon or Empress Wu?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat - Awww... sorry to hear that your groundhog got the Bellflowers. :(

Daffodils have just about bloomed out here, except for the latest varieties like Odoratus and Thalia (which seems to bloom forever here). I'd surely like to see photos of those Hosta, though - do you know the cultivar - Mister Big, maybe - or one of the newer varieties like Komodo Dragon or Empress Wu?
That I admit I am clueless to...let me see if I have some photos here...

here's a picture of where they grow-this was taken a few years ago.
DSCN0622.JPG

I think this was 2013?-14? sadly I renamed the file-so not sure which year... the plant on left is the hollyhock but lost it's leaves because I like to keep this area well watered so the hostas can open in their glory.
hosta0.jpg

this garden I put in around 2010 to 2014 but didn't keep up-
7048_4896478366271_297761691_n.jpg

the daisies are my favorite-I pulled these up from side of road along the main road and they spread.

A white lupine I found at a church plant sale.. 2010.

7439_4896498686779_2101643899_n.jpg

another variety of hosta in top left corner then white iris-I love white flowers...

That garden with white flowers is half shade-half sun. I have 2 clippings of beach roses growing but they won't grow bigger than 6 inches and no roses-got to figure out how to get them to grow bigger- this was to be my shade garden in the back where it's weeds. I get lupine every year but lots of babies this year-not sure if they will actually bloom-those are native to this area. Purple ones are wild-I do have a pink one that makes an appearance every 3 or 4 years-same with white...no rhyme or reason either.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ileen ileen - True enough, although I don't mind ladders over much. All the same, the Lilacs on the north side branch much lower, and are inside the ivy bed where mowing under them isn't an issue - and they'll provide all the fragrant cut flowers you can use, for the few weeks that they bloom.

View attachment 231616
They're not filled out yet, but last night's thundershowers really gave them a nudge and what's better than free nitrogen? Yeah, yeah... I know - free ice cream.
*And what's even better than THOSE? Why, free CAT FOOD, of course! And if you buy two cases, get a free SNOWSHOE!* Most beautiful pic!
foxxycat foxxycat Gorgeous pix -- now where can I get one of those colorful floofy flowers? :redtabby:

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
True enough, although I don't mind ladders over much. All the same, the Lilacs on the north side branch much lower, and are inside the ivy bed where mowing under them isn't an issue - and they'll provide all the fragrant cut flowers you can use, for the few weeks that they bloom.
I would describe yours as a bush compared to the tree in our backyard. True yours is tall, but its domed shape looks like a large bush to me. Ours had a distinct trunk and the branches with blooms were at least 10 feet off the ground. Obviously whoever planted it or the house owners previous to my parents never pruned them. I did like that we had true lilacs in the backyard, and white lilacs on the side of the house, near my window.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*And what's even better than THOSE? Why, free CAT FOOD, of course! And if you buy two cases, get a free SNOWSHOE!* Most beautiful pic!
foxxycat foxxycat Gorgeous pix -- now where can I get one of those colorful floofy flowers? :redtabby:
Hahahaha A floofy Honeybee prowling in her garden! There's nothing like that!

OR looking over the rockwall?

Who's there???
10078_4896557368246_328583408_n.jpg
There's a yucka plant on left and peony on the right....and a bee kitty with short hair..this was taken in 2014 or 2015.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I know this is a cat site, but indulge me for a moment. I got some of my boyfriend's Mexico pictures transferred to my computer and I wanted to share this one. We saw this dog on the beach in Troncones & I was amazed. I know it's a mixed breed, but I've never seen a front-and-back mix before. Perhaps it just ran away mid-haircut; I'll never know.
0408181131a.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha A floofy Honeybee prowling in her garden! There's nothing like that!

OR looking over the rockwall?

Who's there??? View attachment 231624There's a yucka plant on left and peony on the right....and a bee kitty with short hair..this was taken in 2014 or 2015.
Unique in all the world, a precious treasure! Such a beauty and the green background really sets her bright colors off well. :goldstar:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine - 1 week, 2, 3 or 4. I am still taking my kitties to the cottage this weekend. Supposed to be rainy but I don't care it is a long weekend:) You all can see it. Perth, Ontario, Canada weather has gray looking clouds with blue lines coming down Saturday and Sunday:( Monday is the holiday and it doesn't look so bad. The cats will get their first of the screened in sun room for the year and they won't care about the rain:) I saw the loons on the bay early in the morning a couple weeks ago but missed getting them on camera. I am reeeeealy hoping to get them on my video camera.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this is a cat site, but indulge me for a moment. I got some of my boyfriend's Mexico pictures transferred to my computer and I wanted to share this one. We saw this dog on the beach in Troncones & I was amazed. I know it's a mixed breed, but I've never seen a front-and-back mix before. Perhaps it just ran away mid-haircut; I'll never know.View attachment 231625
I've never seen a dog quite like that! I'm incredibly curious also ad to whether the dog's coat grew in like that or was cut. Thanks for sharing!

We finally got someone to start working on the roof, which is awesome. We've been lucky, and without rain for quite a while, at least. The loud noises didn't bother Mondo and Mog, but my shy girl, Lucy, went and hid under the bed. I had to go to work, but just as I turned to leave, Mondo went to lay down at the foot of the bed beside her hiding spot. It was so sweet!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
ileen ileen that dog looks like he's sporting the canine version of a mullet. ;)

I'm so jealous of everyone's lilac trees. I wonder if they'd survive up here? Are they good in deep snow/sub zero temperatures?

My positive for the day is that I got all the cats treated with flea meds and it only took me a week.

:yess:

Treating all 22 of them takes a lot of planning. I have to make a list and tick them off as I treat them, two lists if it's the kind of meds that come in stronger doses for cats over a certain weight.

Most of them are easy to treat. A few of them have to be distracted with treats and then have the liquid meds squirted onto the back of their necks from a distance.

Marley is almost impossible to treat. If he smells the flea meds on the other cats he won't come anywhere near me. I either have to do him first or wait for a week until he has forgotten about it.

This time patience and a big blob of cream cheese to distract him paid off.

No ticks or fleas on my kitties!

:hyper:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ileen ileen that dog looks like he's sporting the canine version of a mullet. ;)

I'm so jealous of everyone's lilac trees. I wonder if they'd survive up here? Are they good in deep snow/sub zero temperatures?

My positive for the day is that I got all the cats treated with flea meds and it only took me a week.

:yess:

Treating all 22 of them takes a lot of planning. I have to make a list and tick them off as I treat them, two lists if it's the kind of meds that come in stronger doses for cats over a certain weight.

Most of them are easy to treat. A few of them have to be distracted with treats and then have the liquid meds squirted onto the back of their necks from a distance.

Marley is almost impossible to treat. If he smells the flea meds on the other cats he won't come anywhere near me. I either have to do him first or wait for a week until he has forgotten about it.

This time patience and a big blob of cream cheese to distract him paid off.

No ticks or fleas on my kitties!

:hyper:
Norachan Norachan oh yes lilac trees will grow where you are-check the import rules-you could have some sent over from one of us. They are extremely hardy. Airmail is 4 days-what we do is take a rooting-wrap in wet papertowels/newspaper. you just need to put in nice wet soil to help root it-you can't kill them. Kind of like hostas. I had 2 hosta plants in a plastic shopping bag for a whole year-never killed it but I did water it-I didn't get a chance to transplant them. Sorry I hope I didn't scare anyone away with my gardening-it was a time where that's all I did was garden then overtime started up and it's been about 3 years since I have had time to tackle the gardens and I have alot of work to do. But if it doesn't get done by July then I will wait until September because heat and I do NOT mix. :headshake:

We got some rain-heavy-yesterday right at the end of my shift but no rain farther inland. I also noticed all the blooming flowers on the various trees. I have to take some pictures of them. I love the middle of May when everything starts to open! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.