The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I was going to ask here if anyone had cats with hummingbird interactions, but I decided to google first and found this charming story. Hummingbird Falls in Love with Cat - Empress of Dirt
My Panthera is quite the hunter. I have to keep the windows on the enclosed patio almost closed as I've had a hummer come in and Panthera caught him/her and had quite a meal, there was nothing left but a few feathers. Now he can't hunt hummers anymore but he sure is watching them hanging around the feeder which is why I put the feeder there: for entertainment, not for him to have a banquet.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Panthera is quite the hunter. I have to keep the windows on the enclosed patio almost closed as I've had a hummer come in and Panthera caught him/her and had quite a meal, there was nothing left but a few feathers. Now he can't hunt hummers anymore but he sure is watching them hanging around the feeder which is why I put the feeder there: for entertainment, not for him to have a banquet.
WOW, Panthera has some skills! Hummingbirds are so fast I've never seen one caught. Panthera deserves some kind of award!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW, Panthera has some skills! Hummingbirds are so fast I've never seen one caught. Panthera deserves some kind of award!
Well, the hummingbird flew in and could not find its way out so it probably flew around butting the glass panels until it was exhausted and thus was easy prey for Panthera. However, I must say to his defense that this is not the first time he has caught a bird and ate it and he also catches flies and moths and butterflies that invade what he calls his territory. Anything that flies in is fair game as far as he is concerned. And if it crawls (lizards) or otherwise makes it to the second floor (squirrels) and comes inside the patio it is also fair game. As long as they stay outside the patio (where he can't reach them) they are safe although he will be slavering and giving them the evil eye. He needs to put up a sign that says "trespassers will be eaten".

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the hummingbird flew in and could not find its way out so it probably flew around butting the glass panels until it was exhausted and thus was easy prey for Panthera. However, I must say to his defense that this is not the first time he has caught a bird and ate it and he also catches flies and moths and butterflies that invade what he calls his territory. Anything that flies in is fair game as far as he is concerned. And if it crawls (lizards) or otherwise makes it to the second floor (squirrels) and comes inside the patio it is also fair game. As long as they stay outside the patio (where he can't reach them) they are safe although he will be slavering and giving them the evil eye. He needs to put up a sign that says "trespassers will be eaten".
When I was growing up, our Kikko was extremely into lizards. The back part of the back yard was his "lizard patch" and we often saw lizards missing their tails. These would grow back eventually. My mom used to hang out wash up there, and she'd sometimes come back inside with blood running down her legs from our Mighty Hunter defending his lizard patch. He was a fierce, fierce predator. :purr: We loved him tremendously.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping for a sunny and lazy day, with my sweet Missy.
Missy will spend the whole day watching birds and lizards and taking a little nap from time to time in the shade. Fortunately for the birds and the lizards, Missy's bright colour is not helping her to catch one.

IMG_20180508_183545.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping for a sunny and lazy day, with my sweet Missy.
Missy will spend the whole day watching birds and lizards and taking a little nap from time to time in the shade. Fortunately for the birds and the lizards, Missy's bright colour is not helping her to catch one.

View attachment 230665
That's an absolutely gorgeous pic of Missy, mama africa mama africa -- she is so photogenic, which I'm sure makes all viewers feel PAWSitive!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Mann tracht, und Gott lacht," claims the old adage. I'd planned to start cutting the lawn today, overslept (if there really is such a thing), and awoke with that, "I'm already behind," feeling. Not to worry - it rained overnight... not a 1910 Fruit Gum Company kinda rain, but the Santana At Woodstock kind.

That makes today a, "day off" (f there really is such a thing), and now that the rain has stopped and the skies are clearer, a, "big honkin' cheeseburger on the grill," day as well.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I think this little (almost-Zone-6) microclimate is just about ten weeks behind yours. The Chinese Redbud is still a day or two away from being in bloom:

redbud3.jpg

...and the Forest Pansy is beginning to fill out its branches. If you keep a garden journal, let me know what day in February yours came to bloom.

Also blooming today: Bradford Pears on the slope leading from the high bank to the river's edge, the two youngest apples, the White Cherry, and a single bloom on the Japanese Kerria.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Mann tracht, und Gott lacht," claims the old adage. I'd planned to start cutting the lawn today, overslept (if there really is such a thing), and awoke with that, "I'm already behind," feeling. Not to worry - it rained overnight... not a 1910 Fruit Gum Company kinda rain, but the Santana At Woodstock kind.

That makes today a, "day off" (f there really is such a thing), and now that the rain has stopped and the skies are clearer, a, "big honkin' cheeseburger on the grill," day as well.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I think this little (almost-Zone-6) microclimate is just about ten weeks behind yours. The Chinese Redbud is still a day or two away from being in bloom:

View attachment 230724

...and the Forest Pansy is beginning to fill out its branches. If you keep a garden journal, let me know what day in February yours came to bloom.

Also blooming today: Bradford Pears on the slope leading from the high bank to the river's edge, the two youngest apples, the White Cherry, and a single bloom on the Japanese Kerria.
Unfortunately I don't keep a garden journal, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine but 10 weeks sounds about right, though I have noticed this year especially that things are late in blooming, because of the climate change craziness. My Chinese Pistache is just now starting to leaf!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't keep a garden journal, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine but 10 weeks sounds about right, though I have noticed this year especially that things are late in blooming, because of the climate change craziness. My Chinese Pistache is just now starting to leaf!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Chinese Pistache? I am soooooooooo jealous!

This area still appears to be about ten days behind also, although here the cause was clear - we had Summer in February and the dead of Winter at the end of March. Magically, the Beale's Barberry (i.e. Leatherleaf Mahonia) buds are opening as I type this - probably the clearest yellow flowers I've ever seen!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Chinese Pistache? I am soooooooooo jealous!

This area still appears to be about ten days behind also, although here the cause was clear - we had Summer in February and the dead of Winter at the end of March. Magically, the Beale's Barberry (i.e. Leatherleaf Mahonia) buds are opening as I type this - probably the clearest yellow flowers I've ever seen!
Likewise on so many levels, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine :D You'll perhaps be even more so after reading that our city has a tree program (it's known as Tree City USA, much to my neighbors; consternation) whereby an arborist will come out and advise on where to plant the trees the homeowner requests from among those offered by the program. They deliver them -- nice tall young trees! -- and you plant them. If they are well maintained by the homeowner after 1 year, they are free to us. I got two -- the Chinese Pistache and a Brisbane Box.
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Likewise on so many levels, 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine :D You'll perhaps be even more so after reading that our city has a tree program (it's known as Tree City USA, much to my neighbors; consternation) whereby an arborist will come out and advise on where to plant the trees the homeowner requests from among those offered by the program. They deliver them -- nice tall young trees! -- and you plant them. If they are well maintained by the homeowner after 1 year, they are free to us. I got two -- the Chinese Pistache and a Brisbane Box. View attachment 230749 View attachment 230750
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - That's fabulous! My trees are wel-maintained, but thank Heavens my arborist makes house calls!

I've planted quite a number of specimen trees here - Ginko, Paperbark Maple, and Sweet Gum among my favourites - but a number of Oak and Hazel plantings together, hoping to encourage truffles.

Speaking of which - these taken just now - the real reason that rain was sent to discourage mowing:

morels.jpg
There are already eight good sized Morels up - perhaps two days away from the sautée pan - and one fellow already standing up shouting, "pick me; pick me!"

morels2.jpg

Knowing Shane Kent Shane Kent a little bit, I have no doubt that he's already in his car, headed south.

;)

Hey Shane - how about a bacon-Roquefortburger topped with sautéed Morels?

And for you, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , my vegan Friend - an asparagus and Morel crêpe?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
The day is done, going to hang out at work and do some more carpentry work while I wait for Karen to get off. Today was a very spring like day with the occasional rain varying from mist to light rain. Hooray, spring is truly here and my father in-law took the pump up to the cottage on Tuesday. We have to keep it somewhere warm during the winter months so any water in it doesn't freeze up and destroy it.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine - Never had a Morel but it looks like a mushroom and I like mushrooms very much.

I figured out why Karen got those fancy C shaped Cat Chairs for so little. There is a warning on it because of the plywood glue they used. That is OK because I just need to store them in the warehouse at work for a year and let the gas from the glue dissipate. I need them in a well ventilated area so the warehouse at work will be perfect. And yes them, we couldn't resist buying the other one they had.

IMG_0805.JPG

The gas is OK short term because it slowly releases, I will try and get a photo or two of some kitties on them before I store them. For $50 each I am more than happy to store them away for a year. Note to fellow cat lovers, watch out VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) because they are likely to cause cancer in pets and people.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An absolutely wonderful weather day in Massachusetts. :sunshine: The air is comfortable and dry, good for working outside, I'm in the midst of Spring cleanup and there is so much cleanup to do after the winter storms we had!

The idea of keeping a garden journal as 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine mentioned is new to me, but I am thinking what a good and interesting idea it would be to keep brief notes of what is going on and when, in the natural surroundings. I could list birds spotted, blooming times, insect visitors, wildlife spotted, what plants seemed to thrive. I guess it would be more of a "natural surrounding journal" than a garden journal, but it would indeed be interesting to compare notes from year to year.

Also,here is some activity spotted at a nearby pond, recently that I would like to show you -
20180502_163707.jpg

20180502_163757-1-1.jpg

Have a good day, everyone!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
After two days of heavy rain and thunderstorms we finally have sunshine this morning.

:bliss:

That means I'll be able to get out and finish the woodwork project I've been doing and maybe even do a bit of yoga on the deck.

The rare and elusive Asiatic Silver Lion was spotted out in the enclosure this morning. It's going to be a good day.

ForestCat112.jpg
ForestCat113.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine Oh, I wish I was vegan! but I'm not. I avoid dairy because it does NOT like me, and I avoid animal products for the most part, but I do occasionally eat tuna and even more occasionally, chicken and shrimp.
Norachan Norachan What a MAGNIFICENT Asiatic Silver Lion!
R raysmyheart beautiful pix -- thank you for sharing!
Went grocery shopping after a LONG time and am happy to say I have a house full of great food. We got a case from Drs. Foster & Smith today, too, so we're ALL sittin' in tall cotton and feeling pretty PAWSitive :yummy::cutecat::kneading::cutecat:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan What a MAGNIFICENT Asiatic Silver Lion!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Oh, sweetie - Norachan Norachan is lyin' 'bout that lion. That's a Japanese Forest Cat, also known as a Fujiyama Puffball.

Just a perfect Spring day here, with so much in bloom that it makes you wish that Summer would come along a little more slowly. Here's the Mahonia mentioned earlier - nowhere near yet in full bloom.

mahonia.jpg

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After two days of heavy rain and thunderstorms we finally have sunshine this morning.

:bliss:

That means I'll be able to get out and finish the woodwork project I've been doing and maybe even do a bit of yoga on the deck.

The rare and elusive Asiatic Silver Lion was spotted out in the enclosure this morning. It's going to be a good day. LOL! I really like that description of Forest, he really does look like a miniature lion with that haircut.

View attachment 230799 View attachment 230800

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Oh, sweetie - Norachan Norachan is lyin' 'bout that lion. That's a Japanese Forest Cat, also known as a Fujiyama Puffball.
No, no. This is a Fujiyama Puffball.

ForestCat50.jpg

Once they've spent the afternoon at the groomers, getting a shave, shampoo and manicure they're known as a Silver Lion.

:agree:

Well, I finally got another outdoor cat tree finished today. I posted pictures of the whole construction process in my Tree House thread.

Making Our Cats A Tree House.

Here's a picture of them all daring each other to be the first to climb up it.

TreeHouse47.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.