The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prepare yourself. That's a LOT of cat you have there.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Yep, you're right - but big male F¹ and F² Savannahs (and full-blooded Servals too) are gorgeous, stately animals, and a joy to interact with. The great thing is that unless you have twelve foot ceilings, you never have to worry about putting something, "high up and out of reach," because there is no such place.

;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Yep, you're right - but big male F¹ and F² Savannahs (and full-blooded Servals too) are gorgeous, stately animals, and a joy to interact with. The great thing is that unless you have twelve foot ceilings, you never have to worry about putting something, "high up and out of reach," because there is no such place.

;)
If you haven't seen Jackson Galaxy's episode of "MY CAT FROM HELL" where he and designer extraordinaire (and amazingly wonderful, kind, generous person) Kate Benjamin help an Austin resident catify his high-rise for his two Savannahs, you owe it to yourself. This project also features prominently in their book, CATIFICATION -- a must for every cat lover's bookshelf.
And not to engage in polemic, but a longtime favorite organization, Big Cat Rescue, is the last stop for some fortunate Savannahs, and Servals too, who became too much for their former guardians to handle. I'll just leave it at that.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure if he's going to be very big. My breeder says there is no size guarantee. Many full grown F2s (and sometimes even F1s) are the size of normal house cats. I know this to be true because I've joined the Facebook group for savannah enthusiasts several years ago & have seen lots and lots of pictures & posts.

I didn't get him for his size but I do think he will eventually become a big boy. Like I posted above, he's already over 9lbs at 4 months old. The most important things to me were that he will be sweet with my girl, Kali, and to be leash trained so I can bring him to the park. We're still working on both ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure if he's going to be very big. My breeder says there is no size guarantee. Many full grown F2s (and sometimes even F1s) are the size of normal house cats. I know this to be true because I've joined the Facebook group for savannah enthusiasts several years ago & have seen lots and lots of pictures & posts.

I didn't get him for his size but I do think he will eventually become a big boy. Like I posted above, he's already over 9lbs at 4 months old. The most important things to me were that he will be sweet with my girl, Kali, and to be leash trained so I can bring him to the park. We're still working on both ;)
*Awww. I just watched your tribute to Malibu. What a handsome, sweet, sweet-meowin' guy.* :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::kitty::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And not to engage in polemic, but a longtime favorite organization, Big Cat Rescue, is the last stop for some fortunate Savannahs, and Servals too, who became too much for their former guardians to handle. I'll just leave it at that.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I know many of the "usual" stories, and have supported both The Shambala Preserve and Big Cat Rescue for many years; both are worthy and sadly necessary organisations whose good works are well and widely known.

abby2932 abby2932 is active beyond TCS, on Savannah Cat Chat, and I think you'd agree that she's exceptionally well-informed and well prepared to care for Odrick. While most Big Cat and Hybrid Cat owners walk in with their eyes fully closed to the eventualities of living with non-domestic cats, there are some exceptional caretakers out there, willing to learn and to make the necessary Lifestyle adaptations. basscat basscat springs to mind, as does a late but dear Friend who kept a Snow Leopard from her earliest days of Life until she crossed over peacefully in her sleep more than fifteen years later.

Responsible stewardship - whether by an individual or an organisation - always works in the cats' favour, and I know that you and I are both proponents of responsible stewardship and animal welfare, no matter the source.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Awww. I just watched your tribute to Malibu. What a handsome, sweet, sweet-meowin' guy.* :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::kitty::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
Thank you :redheartpump: I loved him more than I could explain. He was the best cat in the world and I tear up talking about him still.

I have seen the episodes but I believe that JG did the Savannah breed a major injustice. He is anti-hybrid, IMO (to each their own and I respect that). He blamed many of the behavioral issues on the wild heritage of the Savannah when, in reality, they were behavior issues that can (and do) happen with any feline. Inappropriate elimination, aggressiveness, feral tendencies, etc are common in plain old DSHs as well but he made the focus on the wild heritage, unfortunately. I don't hold it against him. I still believe he knows a lot about feline behavior and I still continue look up his videos if I need help or guidance in certain situations. I still think he's a genius ;)

I'm also not a fan of Big Cat Rescue but I'm biased, of course. There are other, better, Savannah friendly non profits, such as Savannah Cat Rescue that accepts Savannah surrenders and provides loving homes for them instead of putting them in cages to live their lives out as feral.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine Are you on Savannah Cat Chat too? Do you have a different username? I never saw you there!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine Are you on Savannah Cat Chat too? Do you have a different username? I never saw you there!
abby2932 abby2932 - I read a great many forums online, though I don't necessarily participate. I do participate somewhat here on TCS because I think that because of the diversity of its membership, it has more to offer generally than any other online cat forum, and I really don't mind cats all that much.

;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I know many of the "usual" stories, and have supported both The Shambala Preserve and Big Cat Rescue for many years; both are worthy and sadly necessary organisations whose good works are well and widely known.

abby2932 abby2932 is active beyond TCS, on Savannah Cat Chat, and I think you'd agree that she's exceptionally well-informed and well prepared to care for Odrick. While most Big Cat and Hybrid Cat owners walk in with their eyes fully closed to the eventualities of living with non-domestic cats, there are some exceptional caretakers out there, willing to learn and to make the necessary Lifestyle adaptations. basscat basscat springs to mind, as does a late but dear Friend who kept a Snow Leopard from her earliest days of Life until she crossed over peacefully in her sleep more than fifteen years later.

Responsible stewardship - whether by an individual or an organisation - always works in the cats' favour, and I know that you and I are both proponents of responsible stewardship and animal welfare, no matter the source.
Absolutely agree.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
abby2932 abby2932 - I read a great many forums online, though I don't necessarily participate. I do participate somewhat here on TCS because I think that because of the diversity of its membership, it has more to offer generally than any other online cat forum, and I really don't mind cats all that much.

;)
*...even Snowshoes*

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Now there's a cat-proofing show I'd like to see - "Snowshoe-Proofing." Like any guy, I've always had a Love affair with big machines, and watching them install inch-thick steel floors, walls and ceilings would be worth seeing.

;)
I'm weird because as a female, I love engineering stuff, too. Science and Discovery Channel engineering-themed programs hold me spellbound. Guess it must be my dad's genes at work.